eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Etsy Discussions (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/etsy-discussions/)
-   -   Article 4 - Etsy - No more out of the blue suspensions! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/etsy-discussions/123050-article-4-etsy-no-more-out-blue-suspensions.html)

woky 01-09-2019 04:43 PM

Article 4 - Etsy - No more out of the blue suspensions!

Note : For more information please visit etsy shop manager

This week the European Parliament votes the Article 4 in the P2B Package.
Basically, if this goes through, Etsy will be
REQUIRED BY LAW to give 14 DAYS NOTICE BEFORE SUSPENDING A SHOP

I cannot state how big that is ! No more out of the blue suspensions :doh:
We can actually prepare and know when it is going to happen.
Meaning you can finally stealth sell that harry potter item and not care about the copyright infringements, they can give you 100s of them and still won't be able to close your shop before the 14 days.

Let's HOPE that this goes through !!!!

fadetoblk 01-10-2019 03:35 AM

Re: Article 4 - Etsy - No more out of the blue suspensions!

They need to pass a law that gives sellers better protection against bull**** claims then I'll be happy lol

Play 01-10-2019 04:38 AM

Quote:

Let's HOPE that this goes through !!!!
How annoyed would you be if this went through, but as a result of Brexit, it didn't apply to UK sellers. :pound:

Play 01-10-2019 04:40 AM

Quote:

Meaning you can finally stealth sell that harry potter item and not care about the copyright infringements, they can give you 100s of them and still won't be able to close your shop before the 14 days.
Realistically speaking, there would be measures in place to prevent that.

By the way do you have any links regarding this new ruling? I haven't seen anything. If it applies to Etsy, it would most likely apply to eBay and PayPal too.

JamesNorth101 01-10-2019 06:26 AM

I expect there will be some sort of work around implemented by the likes of Etsy and eBay

eBay for example could simply give you 0 selling limits.

just_smile 01-10-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 970174)
I expect there will be some sort of work around implemented by the likes of Etsy and eBay

Don't give them ideas, eBay's best monkeys search these forums for tips.

ISeeYou 01-10-2019 02:32 PM

will it be applied only to EU sellers? what about those who are in Non EU areas?

JamesNorth101 01-10-2019 02:39 PM

If it’s an EU ruling then it would just apply to EU accounts

big tymer 01-10-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 970174)

Yeah, some sellers who actively complain about etsy on their forums are claiming their stores are being shadow banned (I forgot their term) this has been going on for a while. Basically it looks like you shop is fine, but your items simply never show up in search or buried so deep no one will ever find anything.

We'll see how the ruling comes out. if at all. They will probably come up with something like give you notice, then limit your selling activities for the 14 days notice period and then boot you off. I don't think they will allow a seller to go rogue and sell all sorts of items ( that got them in trouble in the first place like a wildman) for the 14 day notice period. Just like how paypal limits accounts by not allowing you to withdraw or spend money while an account is under review. Etsy might restrict you from listing new items, modifying, running a sale, etc. Its easy for them to jerk you around actually.

slokor 01-10-2019 07:08 PM

Somehow I don't think this is going to work quite as easily as you hope/expect it to work.
Im sure exceptions will be made when the store in question is suspected of selling counterfeit goods that will put at risk the very activity of the website and open them up to legal actions for allowing the selling of said counterfeit goods.
Only time will tell but it only makes sense to me that there would be exceptions and if there aren't then as mentioned above they'll come up with other methods to work around it. And even if they directly break that regulation good luck taking them to court on your STEALTH account using your STEALTH persona after breaking the most basic of ToS - providing them with your REAL contact info.

JamesNorth101 01-10-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big tymer (Post 970397)
Etsy might restrict you from listing new items, modifying, running a sale, etc.

That would be my guess as well.

Nicoleprice 01-11-2019 12:53 AM

I agree with above. The dreaded limitations. But wouldn't it be nice if they would just give us some warning!?

slokor 01-11-2019 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicoleprice (Post 970439)
I agree with above. The dreaded limitations. But wouldn't it be nice if they would just give us some warning!?

Sure. In a perfect world...

woky 01-11-2019 03:12 PM

So interesting to see you so engaged.

@Play - I would be really pissed off.. to say the least.
@slokor well, yeah, taking them to court is never a good option anyway.

Well, I read more about it and here's the facts:
It is final. They have two choices. Either way, it's happening.

There's two versions of the P2B Package Article 4

the first one implies
- transparency
- the fact that they need to provide A NOTICE before taking any action interfering with the privileges of any seller. ( such as suspending, terminating, revoking any privileges)
-have non-ambiguous terms in their TOS - basically so anybody can understand wtf they're saying there.

The second one, also called the Council Version of the Article 4, that Etsy is trying to go for by getting submits from sellers and whatever they're doing is :
-they have to give notice, but also the ability to terminate an account without warning remains - so they can still terminate the accounts without warning
-not update their TOS accordingly
-basically whatever is in the first version but not so drastic.

Hope this made sense.

Tron 01-12-2019 01:08 AM

I feel like ETSY are wanting this to go through. They openly published it at the top of all of the UK sellers dashboards.

Theres a reason ETSY let you get so many strikes, they want the money from the sales. Most of these shops are racking up over 5k sales a year, some get 10/20k.. As long as ETSY are not seen to be breaking regulations they will let people sell counterfeits on their platform.

woky 01-12-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tron (Post 970691)
I feel like ETSY are wanting this to go through. They openly published it at the top of all of the UK sellers dashboards.

Theres a reason ETSY let you get so many strikes, they want the money from the sales. Most of these shops are racking up over 5k sales a year, some get 10/20k.. As long as ETSY are not seen to be breaking regulations they will let people sell counterfeits on their platform.

Well they said that :

"The Council Version of the Article 4 works for us"

So, yeah, they want the council version of it.

zapx 01-12-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tron (Post 970691)

Exactly, etsy are struggling to return a profit, and they have let the "handmade" doctine slip the last few years. They need the sales.