The new “super-ban” ETSY - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Etsy Discussions

Etsy Discussions Etsy Forums. General discussions on Etsy, direct checkout, account suspensions, suspended, banned and more.

Old 04-22-2021

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 17%
Default The new “super-ban” ETSY

It Used to be that all Etsy accounts when banned would be sent the email that their account was banned, and in a separate email or sometimes the same email you’d get the exact day funds are released, which was 180 days from that day.

Another important detail is that you would still have ACCESS to the account. Anyone that has an Etsy account that has been banned knows you can still message customers, go through your orders, collect tax information... etc. But you can’t list.

However, this year (2021) I have started to experience a very different type of ban. To differentiate it from the type of ban I am referring to above, this new type of ban we will refer to as the “super-ban.” The super-ban is much more severe then the regular ban, and also kind of mysterious.

Basically, when your account is super-banned, when you pull up a browser to access Etsy, your account will be logged out. When you try to log in, generally it says “invalid password.” When you go to recover your password it says “the account associated with that email is closed.” No email will be sent to you from Etsy indicating you have been suspended. There’s no way to sign into your account to collect tax information if you needed it, to check how much money was left in your account, to reply to messages... nothing. You’re locked out. It’s very difficult to contact Etsy support, but when you do, they will say something along the lines of “don’t message use anymore, goodbye,” no matter what you say, whether it’s related to tax, fund release, whatever.

That is the Super-ban. Has anyone else experienced the super-ban? I would be shocked if nobody has... it is happening to me pretty frequently at this point.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-22-2021

Activity: 26%
Longevity: 42%
Default re: The new “super-ban” ETSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyonly View Post
It Used to be that all Etsy accounts when banned would be sent the email that their account was banned, and in a separate email or sometimes the same email you’d get the exact day funds are released, which was 180 days from that day.

Another important detail is that you would still have ACCESS to the account. Anyone that has an Etsy account that has been banned knows you can still message customers, go through your orders, collect tax information... etc. But you can’t list.

However, this year (2021) I have started to experience a very different type of ban. To differentiate it from the type of ban I am referring to above, this new type of ban we will refer to as the “super-ban.” The super-ban is much more severe then the regular ban, and also kind of mysterious.

Basically, when your account is super-banned, when you pull up a browser to access Etsy, your account will be logged out. When you try to log in, generally it says “invalid password.” When you go to recover your password it says “the account associated with that email is closed.” No email will be sent to you from Etsy indicating you have been suspended. There’s no way to sign into your account to collect tax information if you needed it, to check how much money was left in your account, to reply to messages... nothing. You’re locked out. It’s very difficult to contact Etsy support, but when you do, they will say something along the lines of “don’t message use anymore, goodbye,” no matter what you say, whether it’s related to tax, fund release, whatever.

That is the Super-ban. Has anyone else experienced the super-ban? I would be shocked if nobody has... it is happening to me pretty frequently at this point.
That started already back in 2019. Since 2020 summer that got more intense, but wouldn't say that it has been more aggressive since this year.

The problem is that probably they have too many sellers applying and not enough resources to handle it. So you put the load in the hands of the algorithm which naturally makes mistakes and legitimate accounts are also caught in the mix. In the long term that will be fixed (my guess) and we'll see less and less cases like this.

Until then you need to diversify, take it slow and be prepared.
Old 04-22-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duab View Post
That started already back in 2019. Since 2020 summer that got more intense, but wouldn't say that it has been more aggressive since this year.

The problem is that probably they have too many sellers applying and not enough resources to handle it. So you put the load in the hands of the algorithm which naturally makes mistakes and legitimate accounts are also caught in the mix. In the long term that will be fixed (my guess) and we'll see less and less cases like this.

Until then you need to diversify, take it slow and be prepared.
Basically what I’ve been doing. Still have some old accounts but watching them slowly dwindle away, what was once Etsy only is becoming Etsy and ... ... ... I don’t even want to say the names, for fear of what you’re describing happening to my other platforms as well. Sad stuff. Any way to get these accounts unbanned or anything like that?
Old 04-22-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyonly View Post
Basically what I’ve been doing. Still have some old accounts but watching them slowly dwindle away, what was once Etsy only is becoming Etsy and ... ... ... I don’t even want to say the names, for fear of what you’re describing happening to my other platforms as well. Sad stuff. Any way to get these accounts unbanned or anything like that?
After deactivation, you can't call them since they will hang up on you literally.

Writing emails to integrity team works sometimes.

I guess your items are more high risk? Thats one of the main factors here
Old 04-22-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duab View Post
After deactivation, you can't call them since they will hang up on you literally.

Writing emails to integrity team works sometimes.

I guess your items are more high risk? Thats one of the main factors here

I have a pretty wide variety of items ranging multiple sections of the website. What email do you use specifically? To send emails to
Old 04-22-2021

My most recent ban (few weeks ago) was this one.

Made a good thousand dollars and boom. Account gone. Didn't bother shipping a single order because as soon as a customer see's the account is gone, they open up a case and then Etsy refunds them instantly. You can't work with the customer for a proper resolution like a message saying "hey your order is still on the way"
Old 04-22-2021

Longevity: 31%

Et sy sees 2 kinds of sellers from what I can tell. "Nice" people who accidently list IP infringed junk and the pirate who is intentionelly being a pirate. The former gets the polite email (and still the boot), the latter gets the boot without a what for.
The Following User Says Thank You to zapx For This Useful Post:
Starduster (08-09-2021)
Old 04-22-2021

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 18%
Default Re: The new “super-ban” ETSY

what are you selling exactly? must be something pretty dodgy. Etsy seem to be much more lenient than ebay
Old 04-22-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamthedeejay View Post
what are you selling exactly? must be something pretty dodgy. Etsy seem to be much more lenient than ebay
I do not think that. Account lockout and inability to create new accounts happened in the last 2 days. Ebay is making it easier to scan for new active accounts.
Old 04-23-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamthedeejay View Post
While this definitely has been true, it is no longer, or is becoming no longer true anymore. Etsy has caught up with eBay more or less as far as being a pain in my ass.
Old 04-25-2021

Longevity: 31%

Some other thread I said it was easy. I take that back, it isn't. Et sy appears to be trigger happy.
Old 04-25-2021

That actually recently happened to me. Does anyone know what happens to the funds? Cause I like 8 orders shipped out and a few hundred dollars in funds in the account.
Old 05-02-2021

Happened to me several times in 2019.

It's really an illogical ban, as you can't even access your sales history and fulfill outstanding orders.
Old 07-31-2021

Longevity: 60%

What is the difference between being suspended and banned?
Old 07-31-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,936 Times in 8,227 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
What is the difference between being suspended and banned?
Feels like with suspension, you can still login and try to reinstate the account - with ban, you're blocked from even logging in...
Old 08-01-2021

Longevity: 60%

But they never reinstate the accounts, so... setting us up for false hope so they can continue laugh at us!!
Old 08-03-2021

Longevity: 36%

yes this has been reported here before with several users. also referred to as a shadow ban. I would email integrity but it wont get you far
Old 08-17-2021

Longevity: 22%

Happened exactly as OP posted to me today.

No notifications, you’re basically logged out, and through web search will find the store is closed.

Nothing high-risk or infringing copyright, all vintage items.

Won’t hold my breathe for $xxx, I’m expecting 6 mos before funds are released.

Proceed with caution.

Last edited by dk1; 08-17-2021 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1 View Post
Happened exactly as OP posted to me today.

No notifications, you’re basically logged out, and through web search will find the store is closed.

Nothing high-risk or infringing copyright, all vintage items.

Won’t hold my breathe for $xxx, I’m expecting 6 mos before funds are released.

Proceed with caution.
They will transfer the funds. Regarding suspension: Try emailing them with a detailed appeal covering your business model, how your items are made, attach photos/videos as examples for that. That will bump up your chances by a small margin.

Best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Duab For This Useful Post:
Starduster (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021

Longevity: 36%

I have seen this done at a high-level and it can be done however if you are selling branded products unless you have privileges from the brand & assoc. attorney you are going to be SOL.
Old 08-23-2021

Longevity: 52%

They have been completely disabling accounts like this for a while now. In 2019 i had this happen 4 times in a row trying to create an account with different pre-paid credit cards and different VPNs
Old 08-24-2021

Longevity: 16%

My several etsy accounts connected with paypal got superbanned. Now etsy doesn't even allow to create account with paypal, they want bank account. Thankfully wise, payoneer virtual accounts are there to rescue from such etsy cruelly.