Question about Etsy sourcing. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Etsy Discussions

Etsy Discussions Etsy Forums. General discussions on Etsy, direct checkout, account suspensions, suspended, banned and more.

Old 12-26-2021

Activity: 3%
Longevity: 52%
Default Question about Etsy sourcing.

I read through what is allowed on Etsy. I don't understand why people are being banned as much as they are. Are they abusing categories?

I have been scouring the site for a niche and thought about wholesale supplies with zero copyright issues. I noticed a ton of sellers sourcing and wholesaling on there. Is this allowed?

I have never sold on the platform. I want to see what I am missing before I waste research time.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-28-2021

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 29%
Default Re: Question about Etsy sourcing.

Etsy's original guidelines for what can be sold remain as published rules on the site. Basically, it says all items listed for sale must be designed and/or crafted by the seller, 20+ years old vintage, or supplies/tools/patterns for crafting.

You see so many retail boutique shops on Etsy, where the owners simply purchase wholesale and then resell, because Etsy hasn't enforced its own rules about reselling since Summer 2015.

Since the original rules remain published on the site as if they are universally in force, Etsy staff can refer to them to close a shop -- and ban the owner from opening future shops -- for all sorts of reasons.

Etsy does take infringement issues seriously when they receive a legal notice from the owner because according to law they have no option to ignore a request that infringing items be removed. Until a legal notice is received, sellers are protected by the site's Safe Harbor Policy. Even when a shop is caught infringing, Etsy will sometimes just remove only the items specified in the legal communication -- even if every item in the shop is clearly an infringement, although of another brand's property.

If your listings do not sell infringing items, and you treat your customers well, odds are in your favor that Etsy will allow to you resell items purchased wholesale indefinitely. There are shops on Etsy who have been selling "handmade" items they purchased wholesale for a decade, or longer.

More than half the shops on Etsy are using deceptive listings to sell: pretending they designed or made their handmade items, that their vintage is at least 20 years old, or that ready-to-use as sold products are supplies for art or crafting. I don't expect Etsy to shut down 50 percent of their shops any time soon for selling items that (supposedly) aren't allowed on the site.
The Following User Says Thank You to Life During Wartime For This Useful Post:
MrAnon (04-30-2022)
Old 12-28-2021
Threadstarter  

Activity: 3%
Longevity: 52%

Thanks for the reply. I dont really want to get into the craft market, as I dont have a business plan or product designed for the site.

I am specifically targeting supplies for crafting. I was just curious since it is stated that it is allowed if they still shut down for no reason such as eBay has done in the past with their rules still being followed.

I would make an educated guess that the reason a lot of people here have gotten shut down is they are infringing or not really handmaking the crafted items.
Old 12-29-2021

Thanked 1,109 Times in 1,045 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

It has been a big pain with certain categories,Etsy asks who made it,you or in partnership with a vendor,where is the vendor etc?and how much is your involvment in this partnership?like did you design it or did you actually made it ?
Many shops just buy from Alibaba and list those items as vintage or antique.They even use the Alibaba pictures.
Old 03-16-2022

Longevity: 12%
Send a message via Skype™ to tobyknudsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettefever17 View Post
I read through what is allowed on Etsy. I don't understand why people are being banned as much as they are. Are they abusing categories?

I have been scouring the site for a niche and thought about wholesale supplies with zero copyright issues. I noticed a ton of sellers sourcing and wholesaling on there. Is this allowed?

I have never sold on the platform. I want to see what I am missing before I waste research time.
Etsy algo is very patheatic, they suspend anyone account without a warning.
Old 03-16-2022

Longevity: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyknudsen View Post
Etsy algo is very patheatic, they suspend anyone account without a warning.
As a former programmer/analyst, I don't see any good use for code that acts to remove users, or delete data, without human review. AI bots should only collect lists of possible problems, not act on what they find as if they were human.

And I agree: a lot of Etsy's AI is pathetic. At best.
Old 03-16-2022
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 53%
Longevity: 91%

You should look at amazon's....
Old 03-21-2022

Longevity: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin View Post
You should look at amazon's....
haha,this is true.