How the hell did ETSY get so big ? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Etsy Discussions

Etsy Discussions Etsy Forums. General discussions on Etsy, direct checkout, account suspensions, suspended, banned and more.

Old 07-29-2023

Activity: 4%
Longevity: 4%
Default How the hell did ETSY get so big ?

Like 5 years ago ETSY for me was always like a small marketplace for women to sell candles on or other junk maybe a couple of other small time print on demand operations

Now it seems to be rivalling amazon for traffic , I am aware the dropship element is very valuable but surely there has to be more to the rise ?

The traffic they get from all over the world is absolutely insane

IT shows the value of having a global marketplace in this global economy
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-29-2023

Thanked 1,109 Times in 1,045 Posts
Activity: 92%
Longevity: 33%

not 5 years ago,but 20 years ago,it was for handmade stuff.
Ebay has turned into a trash can ,Etsy starts allowing vintage and antiques items for sale,so more and more Ebay sellers migrate there.
But these days Etsy sales are very slow,all the stay home housewives who made cute stuff are asking each other why no sales?
Grocery and other living expenses are taking a big bite out of the household budgets,few have $$ for discretionary items.

it is cheaper than Ebay,there is a listing fee 20 cent for 3 months and the FVF then was 5%.

where have you been?
Etsy allows non handmade items to be sold long long time ago,could be 20 years ago.
Handmade items must be made by you or someone who works for you,not anything handmade by someone else

ETSY will announce earnings today,watch it,as sales have fallen off a cliff.

Etsy allows antique,vintage and handmade items for sale .
Etsy has non US sellers,I have seen European, Argentina.SE Asian sellers.
Etsy also uses Google search,and if your buyer comes thru such,you pay extra fee,sometimes it could wipe out your profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshoefairy View Post
I for one hope they lose sellers and shut down. Their customer service is abysmal.
This is how they manage to report good profit to please Wall Street by skipping on customer service.
Some sellers do quit,they get no sales but keep paying 20 cents listing fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automasters View Post
Yes, they increased MANDATORY advertising fees a few months back, it lists everything in Google shopping for more hits, hut you have to increase your asking price by about $50 to offset the advertising fees. As always, we the sellers pay for everything
The problem is we dont know until the order is placed to find out about the extra fees,that we are losing money.
The only option is to cancel the order.

Last edited by TGMT²; 12-01-2023 at 03:38 PM. Reason: double posting
Old 07-29-2023
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: How the hell did ETSY get so big ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2Y View Post
Like 5 years ago ETSY for me was always like a small marketplace for women to sell candles on or other junk maybe a couple of other small time print on demand operations

Now it seems to be rivalling amazon for traffic , I am aware the dropship element is very valuable but surely there has to be more to the rise ?

The traffic they get from all over the world is absolutely insane

IT shows the value of having a global marketplace in this global economy
Welcome to the forum OP - all the best as you master stealth

thankfully, global marketplace constantly changes
Old 07-29-2023

Activity: 39%

I have seen 100X more sales on Etsy compared to egay. Also, they actually honor the shop policies where egay gives buyers 60 days to return items whether you accept returns or not.
Old 07-29-2023

Activity: 14%
Longevity: 6%

Is Etsy powerful in UK?

I thought it was an American Marketplace
Old 08-01-2023

Activity: 27%
Longevity: 30%

I think there were some sites in the past that were selling vintage like one I was using that merged in Etsy
Old 08-01-2023

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 79%

I too noticed a huge growth in etsy. I don't even see that many etsy ads not sure exactly what helped the growth.

I do think though youtube creators took some part in, there's many creators who mention etsy when it comes to print on demand/digital products and now AI.
Old 08-01-2023

Activity: 10%
Longevity: 20%

I thought etsy only allowed hand made stuff to be sold, now it seems they are allowing auto parts and accessories too now.
Did i miss something?
Old 08-03-2023
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
ETSY will announce earnings today,watch it,as sales have fallen off a cliff.
there was a time during the pandemic when ETSY stocks soared - money was made
Old 11-30-2023

I for one hope they lose sellers and shut down. Their customer service is abysmal.
The Following User Says Thank You to theshoefairy For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (12-18-2023)
Old 11-30-2023

Activity: 39%

Yes, they increased MANDATORY advertising fees a few months back, it lists everything in Google shopping for more hits, hut you have to increase your asking price by about $50 to offset the advertising fees. As always, we the sellers pay for everything
The Following User Says Thank You to Automasters For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (11-30-2023)
Old 12-01-2023
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Passing the buck indeed - they know they have power to do so :(
Old 12-18-2023

Longevity: 3%

Quote:
I have seen 100X more sales on Etsy compared to egay. Also, they actually honor the shop policies where egay gives buyers 60 days to return items whether you accept returns or not.
The sales on Etsy are 100x better than Ebay. But the policy **** is so false its unreal.

On 3 stores I have ran, Cases will be opened, reviewed and closed within 1-6 hours in the Customers favour. (Etsy claims sellers have 48 Hours to Respond)

But guess what, this is universal on all sales Platforms, Ebay, Etsy and Amazon. You as the Seller will never ever be protected. They don't give even a shred of a single **** about you. You are there to make money and to serve the customer, and that comes at the expense of your income a lot of the time.

Thank god most people are actually pretty decent human beings when it comes to dealing online and scam cases are around 1/250-300~ orders for me. I lose more money 'saving face' with Honest customers than I do with Dishonest customers - although this is completely at my discretion as if I was to buy reviews they are usually around £12-30+ each, so I value every chance at getting a review from a real customer at that price.

A customer recently contacted me 5 days after I shipped their parcel saying THEY had made the mistake of putting the wrong address. Since the item was low-cost (Total Cost to me: £1.50~) I sent him out another parcel for free.

I broke even on that sale but I gained an insanely nice review which I would personally value at £15+.

Last edited by EtsyScamp; 12-18-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2023

My opinion on why Etsy got so big is they marketed themselves way better than any other platform, when I ask my Mum what she thinks of Etsy she said 'Its a place where I go when I want to buy something different or unique'.

Etsy also has a userbase made up of primarily Women, and it has been proven multiple times that Women will spend more money than Men on certain items. And those 'certain items' are found on Etsy.

Most of the items I sell are pretty niche wedding related for Men, yet most of my sales are from Women buying them as Gifts for Men, not actually men buying them themselves.

I'd also like to say the fact Etsy actively makes an effort to help you make more money is pretty good. They give you the option to opt-in to site-wide sales and promotions (I made £300+ in Cyberweek Sales on Etsy). I'm think Ebay does this too but I'm pretty certain its gated behind a £25/month fee lol.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EtsyScamp For This Useful Post:
rsot (12-20-2023), rswomA (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023

Activity: 28%
Longevity: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtsyScamp View Post
The sales on Etsy are 100x better than Ebay. But the policy **** is so false its unreal.

On 3 stores I have ran, Cases will be opened, reviewed and closed within 1-6 hours in the Customers favour. (Etsy claims sellers have 48 Hours to Respond)

But guess what, this is universal on all sales Platforms, Ebay, Etsy and Amazon. You as the Seller will never ever be protected. They don't give even a shred of a single **** about you. You are there to make money and to serve the customer, and that comes at the expense of your income a lot of the time.

Thank god most people are actually pretty decent human beings when it comes to dealing online and scam cases are around 1/250-300~ orders for me. I lose more money 'saving face' with Honest customers than I do with Dishonest customers - although this is completely at my discretion as if I was to buy reviews they are usually around £12-30+ each, so I value every chance at getting a review from a real customer at that price.

A customer recently contacted me 5 days after I shipped their parcel saying THEY had made the mistake of putting the wrong address. Since the item was low-cost (Total Cost to me: £1.50~) I sent him out another parcel for free.

I broke even on that sale but I gained an insanely nice review which I would personally value at £15+.
Buyers can open a case 48 hours after starting a help request with the seller. Sometimes Iguess they may be able to open a case directly, such as when the seller shop is suspended
Old 12-18-2023

Quote:

You could find reviews at a lower cost than that.
Old 12-18-2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswomA View Post
You could find reviews at a lower cost than that.
Okay. But paying for reviews is dumb anyway. I actually tried to find sites selling Etsy reviews before I made my post and only found a handful of fiverr services that are shut down, over 10+ broken abandoned sites and 1 working site with reviews going for £20+ each.

I couldn't find any proper good looking sources for reviews at all.

Last edited by EtsyScamp; 12-18-2023 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2023

Quote:
Okay. But paying for reviews is dumb anyway. I actually tried to find sites selling Etsy reviews before I made my post and only found a handful of fiverr services that are shut down, over 10+ broken abandoned sites and 1 working site with reviews going for £20+ each.

I couldn't find any proper good looking sources for reviews at all.
A lot of people offer this service on blackhatworld forum, but be cautious. make sure to find an experienced seller
Old 12-18-2023

Etsy sales have slowed to a crawl,it layoff 11% of its workforce.
11% is a large number,what does that tell you?
Old 12-20-2023
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Etsy sales have slowed to a crawl,it layoff 11% of its workforce.
11% is a large number,what does that tell you?
Layoffs occur to improve profit on bottomline
Old 12-20-2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Layoffs occur to improve profit on bottomline
OF COURSE,This is the first thing they do,
but dont be shocked how bad the results for 4th qtr comes out
Old 12-21-2023
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
OF COURSE,This is the first thing they do,
but dont be shocked how bad the results for 4th qtr comes out
Nothing is shocking these days - keep expectations very low