Etsy Isn't Playing Around In 2015. STRICT! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Etsy Discussions

Etsy Discussions Etsy Forums. General discussions on Etsy, direct checkout, account suspensions, suspended, banned and more.

Old 01-13-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 60%
Default Etsy Isn't Playing Around In 2015. STRICT!

Hey guys,

I've noticed alot of shops are being shut down almost immediately, Since the beginning of this year. I've tried to open 2 etsy shops and BOTH were shut down nearly instant.

One of them became suspended as I was listing(only 20 min) I think it was because of the images.
The next was suspended 2-3 days afterwards.

I've opened up a new shop and I'm trying an entirely new approach.

I will update if it works or not.

If anyone else is going through this, please don't hestitate to post, others as well.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-13-2015

Longevity: 55%
Default Re: Etsy Isn't Playing Around In 2015. STRICT!

Etsy is such a limited market with everything having to be made by the sellers, if they are shutting down lots of new shops they really are getting pickier, would be interesting to hear back if it really was in your case down to the images
The Following User Says Thank You to RosieTosie For This Useful Post:
Gloxk (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Steps on creation?
Old 01-13-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Steps on creation?

Welp, I believe Ive been ghosted(maybe). My items and shop name arent showing up in search.

I've been doing Etsy stealth for years and if I got suspended, I was back on selling the next day.

I have no clue what's going on but they had to have implemented some sort of "bot" this year.

The only thing I can think of is my IP address block or my titles which I did change but have names of celebrities(phone cases) in them but that still doesn't explain why other shops have been doing the same.

P.S. My ip is different every time, I use VW mifi but the first two blocks are the same.

Last edited by Gloxk; 01-13-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2015
Threadstarter  

WOW!!!! As I was posting, they were suspending. I went back on etsy and a shop I was looking at was no longer. They are going insane about Intellectual Property/Copyright.
Old 01-13-2015

I'm not sure what the case is with your shop, but Etsy gives people quite a few chances before suspending their account due to copyright infringement. I'm sure the shop you were looking at received more than a few warnings before being shut down. Phone cases are quite popular and seems to be a very competitive niche on Etsy. Wouldn't be surprised if someone is out there blowing the whistle on you guys.
Old 01-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloxk View Post
Welp, I believe Ive been ghosted(maybe). My items and shop name arent showing up in search.

I've been doing Etsy stealth for years and if I got suspended, I was back on selling the next day.

I have no clue what's going on but they had to have implemented some sort of "bot" this year.

The only thing I can think of is my IP address block or my titles which I did change but have names of celebrities(phone cases) in them but that still doesn't explain why other shops have been doing the same.

P.S. My ip is different every time, I use VW mifi but the first two blocks are the same.
You should email them and find out. This happened to me with my first stealth account and I thought I was ghosted as well but I retraced my steps and I know I did everything right. I had a completely different product and pics. I emailed them and they basically apologized and had my items back up.
Old 01-13-2015
Threadstarter  

They surely give out warnings SOMETIMES, but Etsy is known,im proof, to close your shop without a warning nor an email. I'm used to it. After I made that last post, TWO more shops were shut down. One shop was made in '14 the other this year. Idk what they did wrong besides use celeb names.

Etsy must now have a bot for anything like that. Wouldnt surprise me if they're in with VERO now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbshowstopper View Post
I'm not sure what the case is with your shop, but Etsy gives people quite a few chances before suspending their account due to copyright infringement. I'm sure the shop you were looking at received more than a few warnings before being shut down. Phone cases are quite popular and seems to be a very competitive niche on Etsy. Wouldn't be surprised if someone is out there blowing the whistle on you guys.
Old 01-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloxk View Post
They surely give out warnings SOMETIMES, but Etsy is known,im proof, to close your shop without a warning nor an email. I'm used to it. After I made that last post, TWO more shops were shut down. One shop was made in '14 the other this year. Idk what they did wrong besides use celeb names.

Etsy must now have a bot for anything like that. Wouldn't surprise me if they're in with VERO now.
Oh, I'm fully aware they can close your shop without warning. It could have been a number of things that cause them to shut down. Celeb names alone shouldn't get you shut down unless the Celebs themselves or their representatives have been contacting etsy about a particular shop's items. Celeb items are normally ok as many of them don't care much. If you weren't warned about the infringement before being shut down, then I doubt that's why they did it.
Old 01-13-2015
Threadstarter  

I'm doing some tests later. It could also be because of how fast a shop publish its listings. I kind of automate mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbshowstopper View Post
Oh, I'm fully aware they can close your shop without warning. It could have been a number of things that cause them to shut down. Celeb names alone shouldn't get you shut down unless the Celebs themselves or their representatives have been contacting etsy about a particular shop's items. Celeb items are normally ok as many of them don't care much. If you weren't warned about the infringement before being shut down, then I doubt that's why they did it.
Old 01-13-2015

Longevity: 63%

anything related to celebs is a slippery slope. stick to warm and fuzzy pictures of cats and dogs and you will be fine there.
Old 01-21-2015

Longevity: 85%

Yes etsy has got strict this year, but also ebay have.

To be honest i have run into the same issues, espeically with celebrities and popular entertainment figures, unfortunately.

But I have found out what is going on. Some one in the 'know' told me that there is a new company that has recently formed and they are approaching all celebrities, musicians, etc and doing deals with them, to get their stuff taken down from auction sites and such like.

For example, this firm approaches the artist 'Prince' and cuts a deal with them, like $5,000 to get all merch removed from ebay, etsy, etc and they agree to it. (just an example, i dont know or sell price merch)

I know this is true, one, from this person in the 'know' and two, becuase i run various shops over all sites and in the past 2 months, i have had various unrelated items taken down and the contact that ebay/etsy tell me to speak with, is always the same person/company. And we are talking celebs from UK, Europe and the US.

Be careful out there. I just had a issue today, which is going to mean I'm gonna have to re-map my whole business again.

Researching this company/agency - they were only formed in November 2014.

I can share more details but if you wanna chat just PM me.

To conclude, i think listing anything on etsy relating to celebrities or popular figures is a NOGO from now. I know it has been a NOGO before hand, but for me, this is it, not again.
Old 01-22-2015

Longevity: 89%

Think i remember reading about something similar a few months ago, with artists and youtube, seems some mogul has setup shop on his own and is telling artists that he can have there stuff pulled as the record company's are the only ones seeing any significant royalties, something to do with their image rights if they signup with him
Old 01-23-2015
Threadstarter  

I knew it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash213 View Post
Yes etsy has got strict this year, but also ebay have.

To be honest i have run into the same issues, espeically with celebrities and popular entertainment figures, unfortunately.

But I have found out what is going on. Some one in the 'know' told me that there is a new company that has recently formed and they are approaching all celebrities, musicians, etc and doing deals with them, to get their stuff taken down from auction sites and such like.

For example, this firm approaches the artist 'Prince' and cuts a deal with them, like $5,000 to get all merch removed from ebay, etsy, etc and they agree to it. (just an example, i dont know or sell price merch)

I know this is true, one, from this person in the 'know' and two, becuase i run various shops over all sites and in the past 2 months, i have had various unrelated items taken down and the contact that ebay/etsy tell me to speak with, is always the same person/company. And we are talking celebs from UK, Europe and the US.

Be careful out there. I just had a issue today, which is going to mean I'm gonna have to re-map my whole business again.

Researching this company/agency - they were only formed in November 2014.

I can share more details but if you wanna chat just PM me.

To conclude, i think listing anything on etsy relating to celebrities or popular figures is a NOGO from now. I know it has been a NOGO before hand, but for me, this is it, not again.
Old 01-23-2015

Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash213 View Post

It has always kinda been that way.
Old 01-23-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Competition could also play a part
Old 01-23-2015

Longevity: 89%

I suppose another example of this would be the Rhianna Top Shop t-shirt thing that has been rumbling on for a while now and has since been settled in her favour.
Old 01-25-2015

Longevity: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Competition could also play a part

competition plays a big part for sure yeah,

but, the artists, hollywood, etc are not fooking aboot now.
Old 10-06-2017

Longevity: 37%

Hi i am in then UK and had an amazing easy store, making good money and the decided to close as i listed a bag that didn't fit into their category.
I am a idiot i know.

I now want to open a new account, but i don't know anyone else that can help me. I have already used all my close friend and family, changed the ip etc they just close me down.
How can i get over the self check out issue. i have no idea.
Also do they track your images, i have re named them is that why they are pulling me off?
Any advise would be great, i have read so many great threads about you.
pretty please
Old 10-07-2017

Longevity: 73%

Talk with Gladiator.