eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Etsy Discussions (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/etsy-discussions/)
-   -   Etsy Search Terms (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/etsy-discussions/99925-etsy-search-terms.html)

Haidukken 09-29-2016 03:06 AM

Etsy Search Terms

Right, here goes:

I've been selling with great success all summer on Etsy- Business is growing, everything seems to be in tip-top shape.

BUT, I've noticed that some of my listings don't show ANY search terms and others show a lot less than their duplicates.
One of the listing has had 25-30 search terms for months now, but last month or so has dropped to 5 search terms, without me changing the listing.

What the **** is happening?

Can somebody please explain to me how to get listings with stable search terms and what causes a listing go from 25 search terms and one of my most popular listings, down to 5 listing terms and NO sales.

Will pay in rep, food and good karma. Help me please.

:ranger:

Fellix 09-29-2016 04:18 AM

Re: Etsy Search Terms

Hi Haidukken.
Actually I've had the same issue lately. I'm still not sure what happened. But one thing is sure, something changed. Items I've used to sell regularly now for some reason don't even get listed on searches. I think they changed the way tags are being searched. Still trying to figure it out.

Enviado do meu SM-J500F através de Tapatalk

Haidukken 09-29-2016 02:47 PM

Guys I'm kinda disappointed that you are not helping me out here.

No more Mr.Nice for you lot, suck on it.

MM78 09-29-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haidukken (Post 803496)

:pout::pout::pout::hail::hail::hail::bolt:

T1000 09-30-2016 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haidukken (Post 803496)

Haidukken,

How many total Items do you have listed? And how do you vary your search words throughout your titles and tags? Etsy is known to rotate listings, so perhaps that is what has happened to you?

Etsy also tends to do a lot of search changes right around September-October every year

Haidukken 10-01-2016 03:14 AM

by search changes, what do you mean exactly?

rsot 10-01-2016 05:12 AM

I don't know enough about Etsy to be effective help Haidukken :(

T1000 10-01-2016 08:30 AM

Etsy usually changes the way their search works around this time of year. I usually have always seen a drop in search related visits during this time, and then it levels off once th changes settle. As long as your shop is indexed, this is etsy search related.

You can also check where you rank for different search words by using etsygadget.com, it is very useful

MM78 10-01-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T1000 (Post 803755)
Etsy usually changes the way their search works around this time of year. I usually have always seen a drop in search related visits during this time, and then it levels off once th changes settle. As long as your shop is indexed, this is etsy search related.

You can also check where you rank for different search words by using etsygadget.com, it is very useful

Good info, thanks.

Haidukken 10-01-2016 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T1000 (Post 803755)

Good stuff.

Can you comment on the "games" that the website also has? Any useful things for a noobie like myself? The favothon, clickathon, treasury stuff- What are they and whats the point behind them?

Cheerio

MM78 10-01-2016 11:26 PM

I used the site Better sales on Etsy - analyze your listings and enhance your shop | ETSY GADGET and I have re-done my tags...hopefully it helps.

Haidukken 10-02-2016 03:20 AM

Ok... I see how this search thing works.

I'll give it a quick go and at least sort my tag game out and then probably try to re-write the descriptions, using popular search terms and **** like that- Something that I'm already doing, but if you say that Etsy has changed something before Christmas, I guess it can't hurt me to re-write the descriptions using popular search terms and perhaps incorporate some popular tags also.

See how it goes, I hope it makes a difference because its super annoying to see my items sell well and then suddenly drop off a cliff for some reason.

T1000 10-03-2016 12:39 PM

Here is how etsy search woks according to my experience. I was able to get my ship to a very sizable 5 digit sales revenue following this strategy.

1. More listings equals more views equals more sales
2. Find out optimum number of listings by finding other successful shops in your niche. For my niche I needed to have between 500 to 1000 listings, I had 600 and something listings
3. Use relevant keywords in title, then use same in tags.
4. I have found that using top category keywords and tags is good, especially if they are mixed with long tail keywords. For example : Home decor, Blue accent chair
5. When writing titles, use keyword within a keyword strategy. Example : Home decor, Vintage photo frame. Etsy will pick up "home decor", home decor vintage, vintage photo frame, and photo frame.
6. Vary the positioning of your best keywords within the different titles. If you use "home decor" as a first phrase in one title, use it as second phrase in another title.
7. Create a speadsheet for all of your keywords and use etsygadget to see where you rank for each keyword. If you see you have many "blue photo frame" items, but you do not rank well for this keyword, make sure you place it in first or second place in your title.
8. Find out the best keywords to use by typing search phrases in the Etsy search. You will see etsy give you suggestions. The most powerful keywords, the ones people search for most, are the suggestions at the very top. No brainer, use those if your titles and tags.

T1000 10-03-2016 12:46 PM

On etsy games :

These USED to work, but I think they will become pointless. They way etsy USED to calculate the ranking of a listing was the following :

- how many views the listing has versus sales. If your listing gets many views but does not get sales, it will loose popularity and will get pushed to the back pages. If your listing gets many views and sales, it gets pushed to the front pages.
- how many favorites the listing has. Favorites from organic search rank your listing higher than from team games.
- many views also help to get your listing ranked, however they have to come from organic search.

In conclusion, games that are useful would be :

- games that get you views from organic search
- games that get you favorites from organic search
- games that help promote you on Facebook and Pinterest and other social media.

Also run well thought out promotions. The more you sell the higher ranked you will be as a shop, so even your new listings will rank higher because of that.

The rest are just games and your time is better spent on strategies that will actually make you money.

Hope this helps

T1000 10-03-2016 12:52 PM

Also something else I saw was etsy acquired a company called Blackbird or something, which specializes in search. So what they will likely do will be to have their search rank listings not just based on titles and tags, but they will likely be taking into consideration keywords and phrases used in the materials, and in the descriptions.

So, if you will be touching up your listings anyway, might as well pay special attention to your materials and smartly incorporate keywords in your descriptions. This will also help with Google rankings of your shop in the long term, so double win there.

What I mean is, imagine a title saying Home decor, Blue accent chair, Victorian chair, Living room chair
I just made that up. So your description will read something like :

This blue accent chair will add such a special touch to your home decor! Its Victorian style....bla blah blah, you get the idea. This living room chair measures...and you give the measurements.

MM78 10-03-2016 02:19 PM

Damn, I only got 1 item on etsy...that's it!

Haidukken 10-03-2016 02:37 PM

600 items, holy ****.

I've got 17 listings and I'm generating around £1500-2000 a month with my listings.

600 items seems like a factory size operation- I'm just a hobby guy who wants to see if people actually like what I make myself.

iestinor 10-03-2016 06:53 PM

thats my goal 600 items. i have 100 listiing 8k a month

Haidukken 10-04-2016 05:36 AM

I assume you are not making the items yourself now, are you?

What products are you guys selling, cmon lets spill the beans.

unkown5454 10-04-2016 08:17 AM

liquormen's

MM78 10-04-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haidukken (Post 804221)
I assume you are not making the items yourself now, are you?

What products are you guys selling, cmon lets spill the beans.

Your turn.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1DW8Gx0SmL.jpg

Haidukken 10-04-2016 02:39 PM

Ugh you know, just some of the stuff that I've picked up here and there and upcycled.
http://oi67.tinypic.com/143q2b4.jpg