eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Bp Stocks (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/20228-bp-stocks.html)

Burning 07-09-2010 09:32 PM

Bp Stocks

Who's going to buy bp stocks? I'm thinking about purchasing them for long term investment, what do you think?

aspkin 07-09-2010 09:38 PM

Negative from me..

Burning 07-09-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspkin (Post 150213)
Negative from me..

I knew you would be the first person to post on this thread...:lol:

Could you please explain why you would not recommend investing in BP....:peace:

jeffweico 07-09-2010 10:28 PM

I agree with Aspkin.

Too many unknowns here. BP claims it could cost $50 billion for the cleanup, while Goldman Sachs estimates the cost at up to $160 billion.

I don't think anyone knows exactly how this will turn out or what the eventual cost will be. Investors will not liekly bid up the stock until they can see some light at the end of the tunnel. BP will likely survive but they have to go through a long tunnel.

An investor could buy the stock today and get lucky - maybe they will get this under control sooner than expected, maybe they will get some other breaks, who knows?

I simply don't have the expertise to know which way this is going to go for them.

So, I'm staying out of it.

needhelpplease 07-09-2010 10:31 PM

was in the news today that BP will be disappearing in the next couple of years.....one of the many businesses such as Reader's Digest, Blockbuster...just the ones I remember. It was on Yahoo's front page earlier today, just looked and cant find it. I personally think there is no turning back for BP......can BP go stealth,lol!!!!??!?!?!?! Keep an eye out for PB gas stations to follow,lol! Sorry it is getting late, maybe need to go to bed....but all in all, dont think it would be a good idea to invest in BP at this time, they owe WAY to much money and will be claiming bankrupt shortly if not already!

aspkin 07-09-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffweico (Post 150220)
I agree with Aspkin.

Too many unknowns here. BP claims it could cost $50 billion for the cleanup, while Goldman Sachs estimates the cost at up to $160 billion.

I don't think anyone knows exactly how this will turn out or what the eventual cost will be. Investors will not liekly bid up the stock until they can see some light at the end of the tunnel. BP will likely survive but they have to go through a long tunnel.

An investor could buy the stock today and get lucky - maybe they will get this under control sooner than expected, maybe they will get some other breaks, who knows?

I simply don't have the expertise to know which way this is going to go for them.

So, I'm staying out of it.

I agree with Jeff, it's going to be a LONG and bumpy road for BP, if you're going to buy wait at least a year from now when the news of all this starts to die down. A friend of mine works for BP and he said they'll survive, so I'll wait until they're almost dead before I start buying.

Blackhorse 07-09-2010 11:04 PM

No theyre not allowed to go bust!!! They are the only company i like buying petrol from here!!

OfficialGenius 07-09-2010 11:37 PM

BP: The case against the BP brand is not so much that the company will enter bankruptcy. It is that BP may end up breaking into pieces for its own sake.
This may be to put the liabilities for the Deepwater Horizon spill into a company that also holds escrow capital to cover the huge costs of clean-up and suits.
BP may also want to separate its successful refining operations from its exploration business, or recreate an American- based company similar to BP America, which existed for two decades.
A restructuring of BP would also allow the firm to take a badly crippled brand and give the oil operation a new name -- much as it did when it changed its name from British Petroleum. The second time may be the charm.

philly387 07-10-2010 04:58 PM

Just wait til the stock hits rock bottom :) Probably be a year or 2 but will probably be worth that wait. Invest in something else until then. Then you could pull out and stick it in BP...hmmm don't take that the wrong way ;)

Burning 07-10-2010 07:37 PM

Ok, thanks! Looks like BP is not a good investment for now..

slapped 07-11-2010 12:31 PM

Ahhh, Burning....I can see that you are a CLASSIC Contrarian...(an Investor who does the OPPOSITE of what the Current News is), Not a Bad thing at all, I am Also somewhat of a Contrarian, You can Make A LOT of money this way. As for BP, I would wait until the whole Gulf Spill Thing shakes out, I know that BP has allocated 20 Billion towards resolving all the Lawsuits and Cleanup that will result form this Spill, but the truth is that That will NOT Be Nearly enough, there are some analysts out there that say that it may cost them in Excess of 200 Billion, which will hurt them BADLY, maybe Permanantly.

Burning 07-11-2010 05:22 PM

I should have bought Aig stocks when they were really LOW! There $30 right now...Arghhh...could have made a leg and an arm on that!

waterproof 07-11-2010 05:43 PM

Does anyone know what BP stock is currently selling for?

TGMT² 07-11-2010 05:46 PM

^^^^

Up-to-date info constantly updated...

BP plc (ADR): NYSE:BP quotes & news - Google Finance

slapped 07-11-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burning (Post 150447)
I should have bought Aig stocks when they were really LOW! There $30 right now...Arghhh...could have made a leg and an arm on that!

I am currently a BIG Believer in Bank stocks, Particularly Bank of America,, I own the Convertible preferred for for nearly 2 years Now, it is currently in the Low teens, BoA practally "Stole" Merrill Lynch Durring the Banking Crisis, and Long term I believe that BoA is an exceptional Value.--My Opinion, of Course, so take it for what you think its worth.

aspkin 07-11-2010 07:37 PM

I made pretty good money with BAC last year and I think long term they will continue to do well. Right now though they haven't really moved for awhile and I don't see them going anywhere soon. I'm heavy into AAPL right now.

slapped 07-12-2010 02:29 AM

AAPL--Although this Stock seems "Depressed" I Absolutly Believe that all Stocks, particularly HI-Tec Stocks have undergone some Fundemantal Changes in the way they will trade in the future, Because of the Banking Crisis.

Banks have VERY Quitely ReVamped the Entire way they Loan Money. Try these Stats on for size In 2009, 87% of ALL Commericial Loan Requests were REJECTED, as Opposed to 43% in 2006, and 32% in 2004. In Essence It is MUCH Harder for Corporations to Borrow Money Today.

This affects Hi tec Companies like Apple Much More than Companies in other sectors. Simple put Hi Tec Companies Need Money Constantly in order to keep a Technological Advantage, and to weather the Income Slowdown that inevetable comes between innovations.

The P/E Ratios of Todays Hi-Tec Companies will remain EXACTLY where they are in the low to mid 20's, maybe even LESS, Unless something Excepetional is Happening with a particular Company.
The Days of P/E Ratios in the 40's, 50's, and HIGHER for Hi-Tec Companies I Truly believe are Gone, at least for the forseeable Future.

Couple this with the fact that Although the Ipad is Selling Very well it is still Slightly Behind Expectations by about 2%.

The Iphone 4g is selling at 18% less than Expecations and By resigning with AT&T Again Exclusively will hurt Apple because AT&T is 2 years behing Sprint, Verizon AND T-Mobile in Rolling Their 4g Network. So the Question for Apple going foward is: Do Consumers want the New Iphone, or do they want to surf the Web on their Phone from 6-10 times faster? When you Consider the New Motorolla "Droid" Phones for Verizon as well as Sprint and T-Mobiles New Phone Offerings for their Upcomming 4g Networks, AT&T and Apple are Stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place, for at least 2 Years.

Just my Opinion

rsot 07-12-2010 10:41 AM

Hey there Burning. For one BP has too many "octopus tentacles" to ever be allowed to go bust.

Secondly, well, I been making good coin off of them shorting $ ha

imhim 07-13-2010 07:16 AM

dont you need some sort of high end money to even invest in these big companies? like minimum 50,000?

rsot 07-13-2010 09:27 AM

Sure do - at least 5k to margin with if you know what to do - dangerous however - like educated gambling...

waterproof 07-19-2010 06:18 PM

Perfect! After I posted my question, I didn't think to check my Sharebuilder account. :doh:
Thanks as always TheyGotMeToo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheyGotMeToo (Post 150453)
^^^^

Up-to-date info constantly updated...

BP plc (ADR): NYSE:BP quotes & news - Google Finance

MadSam 07-27-2010 07:15 PM

I'm not convinced BP will ever fully recover. Picketers were all around London today forcing BP gas stations to close.