File sharing question NEED HELP - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 07-17-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 96%
Default File sharing question NEED HELP

I have 2 computers and had file sharing through my router set up to send files from my primary computer to my backup. My primary is running Vista and the backup which is my "stealth" computer is running XP with multiple user accounts.

I used to be able to just click the "Network" folder in Windows Explorer and then go to "shared docs" and drag from the Vista machine to Shared doc folder.

Now sometimes when I go to access the shared docs folder a window pops up on my Vista machine asking for login and password...was doing it yesterday, but not now...any thoughts?

When I set up the file sharing, I did not use any passwords. The XP computer and user accounts do not use any passwords, so why am I sometimes being asked for a login and password?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-23-2010
Threadstarter  

C'mon nobody has a clue?

I've figured a work around for the moment...I was able to open the Shared Network folder on the second computer and left it open on the primary computer. For now it's been working fine for a few days, but whenever I have to reboot one or another the problem might start all over again.
Old 07-23-2010

Longevity: 90%

Something must of made some configuration change. I think what you are describing is normal. When you turn your computer on and try to connect to the share, it asks for a user/password once. After which, when you connect to the share it shouldn't ask for a user/pass because the login credentials are stored on your computer. Sort of like what happens when you close your web browser and open it again. You have to login again to eBay. As long as the browser is open, you don't have to re-login, you go to eBay and you are already logged in. Sounds like the same thing is happening with your share. In which case, its nothing unusual. I think that is whats happening if it only asks for a user/password when you restart your computer.
Old 07-23-2010
Threadstarter  

The thing is that the computer that I'm trying to access the shared folder on does not require a login and password for any of the user accounts. When I originally set up the network to share files I never entered any sort of password info either and accessed the other computer for months without ever being asked for a password.
It's working now so, so far so good
Old 07-25-2010
Threadstarter  

Right about the time this started happening I also picked up some sort of browser hijacker that diverts to other pages and the lower left hand corner says "waiting for google-analytics or googlesolutions.
I did some checking into that and said it could be router related, so I'm wondering if the window that pops up is asking for the router login and password.
Funny thing is that it doesn't do it all of the time.