eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Anyone here have an FTA satellite receiver? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/21383-anyone-here-have-fta-satellite-receiver.html)

DogFacedBoy 08-07-2010 04:19 PM

Anyone here have an FTA satellite receiver?

Thought about getting one years ago, then a friend gave me 3 nfusion units, but within a month and before I could get them up and running they quit offering support for them.

From what I understand since the new card programming software went into use they have almost all been offline with the exception of the ones using IKS.

Are those units up and running?

If so is there a group for FTA that it as helpful and well organized as this one?

topseller 08-07-2010 07:41 PM

Wow that brings me back to the old days when I used to program my own DTV cards. Sorry, don't know the answer to you question, but years ago I went with the high speed internet and just downloaded anything I watch. Just have a basic DISH package for the kids. There is not much good on TV anyway.

jeffweico 08-07-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topseller (Post 156417)
Wow that brings me back to the old days when I used to program my own DTV cards. Sorry, don't know the answer to you question, but years ago I went with the high speed internet and just downloaded anything I watch. Just have a basic DISH package for the kids. There is not much good on TV anyway.

I agree. The few shows I watch I can usually find on Hulu. Between that and Netflix, I'm all good. Cable cost me like $100 per month, and it was just wasted money.

DogFacedBoy 08-07-2010 08:19 PM

I download everything that I want to watch too.
But with football season about to start...

MadSam 08-14-2010 10:42 AM

Way before my time.

pod 08-14-2010 11:48 AM

I have been "borrowing satellite" for about 8 years. Up until about 4 months ago. The scene got extremely unreliable. All the systems that were up [again 4 months ago] were using iks. Key sharing from an always on internet connection.

But they were just crappy. Up and down all the time. Down more it seemed. Picture freezes and such made it unwatchable more then not. It was practically a full time job keeping up on it. I have a 120" HD screen so it was great for HD movies. But for about the last year it was just a mess. HD channels seemed to be the hardest to keep up. It got so bad that having it stay up for a day or two hassle free had people getting excited...

It may have changed, but I suspect not. Until there is a full-on standalone crack for N3 encryption its certainly not smooth running.

And the forums are not much help getting hard facts on just how "up" systems are because most of the site owners are also dealers so they dont like negative comments on any systems.

Again, I shut it down 4 months ago so my first hand info is a bit dated. But if the systems are still using IKS, and I bet they are, Its best to do some digging to see how well a system is really doing.

DogFacedBoy 08-14-2010 12:15 PM

Thanks pod, that is exactly the type of information that I was looking for.
Did some channels stay yp longer than others or did they all freeze up?
Now if anyone has more current info that would be great.

pod 08-14-2010 12:37 PM

Damn, had you asked 4 months ago I could have given you cold hard facts. I was very deep in the game. Right back to coding my own blockers on rom cards. Now those days were glorious. Months without having to do anything to stay up.

But when FTA IKS came in because dish changed to N3 it was nothing but trouble to stay up. Basically each brand will run servers overseas and your box connects to the servers over the internet. Dish will change its keys to scramble signal every few minutes and your box will get these keys from server hooked up to a bunch of boxes that are actually subscribed to the service and shares that info with yours and everyone elses box. Lots of links in the chain can cause problems. Your internet connection, the servers, the subbed boxes on the servers, etc.

But they could never seem to keep it very stable. IKS was never anywhere near as good as standalone rom bins. [Coding on a smartcard in your receiver. No internet involved]

For over a year it was up and down. Lots of channels, next day few channels. Some days freezing was so bad unwatchable. Other then fanboys who for some stupid reason get behind whatever brand of box they have, nobody was happy with the IKS results. Nothing sucks more then to have it freeze or go down in the middle of a movie or sports event.

And the football and other sports packages were never available with IKS anyway. It was mostly just movie channels and the odd secondary network like A&E for example. No broadcast stations like Fox, NBC, etc

I'm curious on anything new in the scene so I will make a couple contacts and see if anything positive has happened and let you know.

DogFacedBoy 08-14-2010 12:43 PM

I heard a rumor going around a while back that N3 had been cracked, but I guess it must just have been that...a rumor.
I'm not holding my breath seeing as it has been years since Direct TV switched and no one has touched that yet.
I do appreciate the input!

pod 08-14-2010 12:55 PM

Ya, its a bloody mess. Worse then before in my opinion.

Up/down. Small list of channels... HD is pretty much non existent. Servers coming and going.

Seems they have now added pay for service servers. Paying extra to use a box defeats the whole point.

I wouldn't touch FTA right now for free. But thats just me.
Now, if you wanted to play around and try this as a new hobby I would say give it a try. But it will not replace your cable TV and you wont be watching 1000 sports channels.

Always rumors, never any results. N3 crack is the Holy Grail. Worth millions. And the second its done ALL IKS systems are done. Within weeks all the boxes would adapt the coding. Something that big wouldn't go unnoticed.

*Shrug* 03-17-2011 02:38 PM

FTA box manufacturers have been releasing a box, then giving free IKS channel access for a few months. After a few months they rename themselves and release the same technology again under a new brand. So if you buy an FTA box you have to scrap it after a few months.

Monthly subscriptions on private servers are an option, and u can get HD and all the sports packs if you find a good server. Some people do not understand monthly payments for "free tv" so they keep buying new boxes. Either way, it does work and saves you a ton of $$. It does go down in internet outages.