eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Home Remodeling Question?? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/21559-home-remodeling-question.html)

Imback2010 08-12-2010 04:48 PM

Home Remodeling Question??

Home Remodeling Question?? Contractor telling me i have to use his tile supply comany?
I'm Remodeling my home, Its a $60,000 Job

For a tiny walk in shower bathroom in my basement and to put new walls and new floors in the basement

and to put up a tiny bathroom in my living room with a walk in shower bathroom

plus a new awning and to put ceramic tiles on my backyard porch

anyways, he came to day with 1 tile and said "do you like it" i said said yes but i want to see more options maybe 10-20 choices because i am spending good money on this project he says " Well they dont have a sample book tiles but i will bring more samples for you"

wtf? I feel something isnt right

rcdrivertim 08-12-2010 05:21 PM

If there are problems NOW then DUMP him...In this market you need someone who is more customer service oriented...Every tile place I know has some type of a catalog to look at...This guy is trying to do the easiest and fastest job possible...You're spending 60K get someone who you like and see eye to eye with you...Using someone like him may cause problems if you find some quality issues and ask him to fix them...He sounds like a hard a$$ and I wouldn't use him...

You may have already done so but, make sure he is licensed and insured CURRENTLY!! Maybe call the BBB and ask if he has any complaints...

Almost forgot, he wants you to use his tile company because he will bill you for one amount and get a discount, without you knowing, from the tile company...You can go and find your own tile and but it then have him install it...You DO NOT have to use his companies he likes to use...

slapped 08-12-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcdrivertim (Post 157938)
If there are problems NOW then DUMP him...In this market you need someone who is more customer service oriented...Every tile place I know has some type of a catalog to look at...This guy is trying to do the easiest and fastest job possible...You're spending 60K get someone who you like and see eye to eye with you...Using someone like him may cause problems if you find some quality issues and ask him to fix them...He sounds like a hard a$$ and I wouldn't use him...

You may have already done so but, make sure he is licensed and insured CURRENTLY!! Maybe call the BBB and ask if he has any complaints...

Almost forgot, he wants you to use his tile company because he will bill you for one amount and get a discount, without you knowing, from the tile company...You can go and find your own tile and but it then have him install it...You DO NOT have to use his companies he likes to use...

This is QUALITY ADVICE.

If you insist on using him, then this is what you do go out and call2 or three other random General Contractors, ask the For Prices to DO the SAME EXACT Job, with the Execption of the Tiles.

Have them Include the LABOR for INSTALLING the Tiles, but NOT the actual Tiles, Just tell the Contractors that you will Supply them when they need them.

When you get your Prices from these Contractors take the LOWEST One, SUBTRACT 10% and then call your original Contractor.

Tell him that you want a New Price MINUS The TILES.

If his New price is Higher than the Figure you arrived at earlier (And it will be) Offer him that Figure and NOT a DOLLAR MORE, and Show him that you are ready to Put a Down Payment Down on the Job immediatly.

He may try to Bulls#it you about, Quality of work, Quality of materials,ect,ect,ect,,,,DO NOT FALL FOR ANY OF THIS

My brother is a Contractor and I Know that it is a VERY Lucrative Business, There is VERY Little Overhead. My brother calls it "A Whore's Business" Your job as a Contractor is to go out and get as Many Jobs as Possible, and Charge as Much as you Can for each Job.

So DO NOT BE FOOLED

pod 08-12-2010 06:24 PM

I trust on a job this big you first got at least 4 or 5 quotes?

And trust your instinct. Right or wrong, if you don't get a good vibe don't deal with him. Worst case, you were wrong and it doesn't matter. Best case, you were right and saved yourself some troubles. I had a renovation business for 15 years and construction is a funny animal. There are more people that shouldn't be doing work then there are people that should

But get some estimates. It provides two things. 1. A good price, which is good. 2. A chance to meet a contractor you click with, also good

Imback2010 08-12-2010 11:02 PM

From the start my 80 year old granfather was convinced in to doing this job by a salesman, we went along with it, and they said yeah we are going to redo the bathroom upstairs,build a bathroom in the living room This IS A FHA loan for $62,000

this **** was ****ed up from the start....lol i went downstairs just now to look around and i found a shower kit that cost 348 @ home depot,oh hell no,

this is a form of bad miss comunication, and before this project goes any further

Im going to cancel everything,

the bank gave me three days to cancel.

this is day 3,

MadSam 08-14-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcdrivertim (Post 157938)

I second this. Home remodelling and dealing with building work is stressful, good luck to you.

Imback2010 08-15-2010 12:08 AM

Well,

the good news is thanks to everyones advice here, the ******* got sent home packing, i had about 3 more bids on the project since then and each company would do the job for $10-20k less, and thats with custom fixtures, unlike this ******* who tried to rob me

slapped 08-15-2010 01:01 AM

I told you that it is a "Whore's Business",,,,,Good for You,,,Im Glad that you Rolled That Thief Out,,,,

oompaloompa 08-17-2010 01:08 PM

I found you get lower quotes so you will use them, then once they are in they can up all the extra unforseen stuff to what they like, because you are living in the middle of a bombsite....

there are always problems, I had a near court battle with last ones...allow at least 20% extra as contingency fund from what you are quoted..