eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   PC Hard Drive Question (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/23446-pc-hard-drive-question.html)

Hercules 10-06-2010 10:45 AM

PC Hard Drive Question

If I backup my PC with an external hard drive, is it safe to remove most of my stuff so my PC's hard drive is nearly empty so I can add more to it and/or have a faster PC again?

Then when I want to access this stuff I just plug it in and work with it?

And if so does all that data get shot back into my PC or does it just stay outside my PC's hard drive to just be there to access my data?

smithgroup 10-06-2010 03:05 PM

It depends how you do the backup in the first place.

If you backup all your files from your PC into one big compressed file on the external hard drive (like using an actual backup program), then no, you cannot delete files from your main drive because you wont be able to restore the files one by one.

The best way to do what you want is to simply drag the files you want off of your main pc onto the external drive in an explorer window.

Confirm they are actually on the external drive, then you can delete the file from you main pc to make room.

First Edition 10-06-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hercules (Post 171882)
If I backup my PC with an external hard drive, is it safe to remove most of my stuff so my PC's hard drive is nearly empty so I can add more to it and/or have a faster PC again?

Then when I want to access this stuff I just plug it in and work with it?

And if so does all that data get shot back into my PC or does it just stay outside my PC's hard drive to just be there to access my data?

most external drives, like the 1 TB drives you see for 100 bucks at best buy, just compress the files, so you can't retrieve them one at a time

Hercules 10-06-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First Edition (Post 172031)
most external drives, like the 1 TB drives you see for 100 bucks at best buy, just compress the files, so you can't retrieve them one at a time

You mean I can't pick at files while they are outside my PC they have to be put back in to my PC or a new PC look at them?

aramos 10-06-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hercules (Post 172080)
You mean I can't pick at files while they are outside my PC they have to be put back in to my PC or a new PC look at them?

Nah, you can load movies and files off the external drive, but it'll load slower (perhaps not noticeable to you).

Some cheap USB/HDD's may become corrupted, so don't rely on the backup for your crucial information!

First Edition 10-06-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hercules (Post 172080)

with my experiences with back up style drives, yes that is my experiences... although, i'm sure not all of them are like this

pod 10-07-2010 12:40 AM

I dont use back up software. Dont like what it does. I have an extra internal drive I copy important files to as needed. They are always accessible and no compression or special file extensions. Just copies. Depending on what external hard drive you have you could just do the same. It doesn't need to be setup up as an automatic back up system. Just a drive.

But in my experience, if its a western digital external drive don't trust it with important files....

Hercules 10-07-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pod (Post 172144)
I dont use back up software. Dont like what it does. I have an extra internal drive I copy important files to as needed. They are always accessible and no compression or special file extensions. Just copies. Depending on what external hard drive you have you could just do the same. It doesn't need to be setup up as an automatic back up system. Just a drive.

But in my experience, if its a western digital external drive don't trust it with important files....

I have HP simple save just for reference.

Stigger 10-08-2010 04:06 PM

i use external hdd's and split them into partitions and save the files, programs or whatever, then i use acronis with another external hdd and make a back up of all the partitions i need every month on the second hdd.