Moving from Vegas to N.Y.C. Any suggestions of location to move too? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 03-10-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 85%
Default Moving from Vegas to N.Y.C. Any suggestions of location to move too?

Hello to all who reply with knowledge of NY. I live in Vegas and will fire sale most of my possessions and move to NYC within the next 3 months. Problem is, I know next to nothing about NY and open to suggestions. All I know is from what I've seen on movies such as Brooklyn's Finest and the sorts where crime is rampant with entire FLOORS of buildings share the same bathroom. I sure as hell won't anywhere near any of those neighborhoods.

On the other side, I maybe won't be able to afford for the first couple of months expensive places like Manhattan. I will probably have to rent out a room from someone. Problem is I keep conjuring up really bad ideas about getting robbed or bamboozled (despite being 6'5") from potential roommate before move-in or while moved in.

I would like to live nearby grocery store (no car) and has lots of Mom & Pops mailbox places or UPS stores to walk to and fro from carrying packages. I'd like to move near/to Chinatown. Are there any good places there with low crime?

I would like to move due to NY due to customs there not being as strict as SF and being among the Asian crowd in Chinatown to seek out more rare/unique items to sell online. Of course, I'd how to scope out for myself before moving to come to final decision. Thanks for any info.

Last edited by Recherché; 03-10-2011 at 07:15 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-18-2011

New York City isn't what it used to be like. That was only in the 80s and 90s, nowadays it depends on the location. I currently lived in the West part of the Br0nx for 22 years, just a 10 minute walk away from the train that takes me to Manhattan which is just 20 minutes away.

I also live a 10 minute walk away from the USPS post office and 5 minute walk away from the 24 hour laundrymat and grocery store. Everything is nearby, even the big shopping area which is a 20 minute walk away, where you have clothing/sneaker stores, T Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, Target, Sears, Walgreens, Ballys Gym and Best Buy.

Places I don't recommend is, South side Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn as well as many other parts of Queens and Brooklyn which are very known for drug dealers and high crime.

It also depends on what your budget is on a monthly basis because the rent here is expensive. I live by myself and I pay about $900 for a small 2 bedroom, 1 small closet, 1 kitchen, and 1 bathroom apartment(excluding cable/phone/internet and electric bill) and the area is decent. I can always go out at night 2 or 3am in the morning to go to the Kentucky Fried Chicken spot, or even Manhattan. I've done it before and never had any problems or faced danger. You can choose to live a 1 bedroom apartment by yourself for a little less than what I pay.

I doubt you will ever even have any problems, being 6'5 when most people is 5'4, 5'5, 5'6and 5'7 which is the average height for people living in NYC. The only thing you need to worry about is the living costs and what you can afford, otherwise don't expect too much from NYC since it is one of the most popular and most expensive cities to live in the world.
Old 03-18-2011

Stealth benefits:
Tons of UPS stores.
Everything you need for stealth is walking distance.
Free open wireless connection spots(depends on the area) I have 2 free open ones in my area.
EMS takes 3-4 days.

The only problem is the rent, well that's New York City for you. Feel free to let me know when your in NY so we can have some Starbucks while we talk about Stealth.