Effects of being online all day - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 04-17-2011
Red X

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 0%
Default Effects of being online all day

I've been wondering about my health recently, because I am "always" online. I am online at least 8-16hrs per day, including weekends. Even when there is nothing more for me to do online, I will come back to the computer, and browse the web for no apparent reason. Is this computer addiction?

I've also started wondering about computer radiation, so I decided to look it up, and this is what i found:

Simple and Effective Protection from Computer Radiation

I read that radiation from computers can cause Alzheimer's disease. I hope I have not caught any traces of radiation, because at my young age I CAN NOT remember most of my friends names I went to high school with, I can't remember their last names, and lately I keep forgetting what to do. For example, lets say im going to take out the garbage now, and the phone rings, i answer the phone, hang up 10 sec later, and will go back to the computer, and completely forget that i was suppose to take out the garbage. I can't even remember what someone told me 10 min ago. I don't know what is happening to me.

For those of you that are online 24/7 creating stealth accounts,etc THAT IS GOOD, but please take a break before you end up like me!!

Last edited by Red X; 04-17-2011 at 08:09 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Alps_a somewhatlegend (04-18-2011), jbluntz (04-17-2011), OfficialGenius (03-02-2012)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-17-2011

Longevity: 83%

There's also many articles saying radiation is good for you, which I personally believe, not too much of course also with daily excercise you can sweat out toxins anyway so not much to be worried about as long as you sweat regularly.

Is radiation good for you or bad? - NorthJersey.com
Old 04-18-2011

Longevity: 73%
Send a message via MSN to ShadyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red X View Post
I've been wondering about my health recently, because I am "always" online. I am online at least 8-16hrs per day, including weekends. Even when there is nothing more for me to do online, I will come back to the computer, and browse the web for no apparent reason. Is this computer addiction?

I've also started wondering about computer radiation, so I decided to look it up, and this is what i found:

Simple and Effective Protection from Computer Radiation

I read that radiation from computers can cause Alzheimer's disease. I hope I have not caught any traces of radiation, because at my young age I CAN NOT remember most of my friends names I went to high school with, I can't remember their last names, and lately I keep forgetting what to do. For example, lets say im going to take out the garbage now, and the phone rings, i answer the phone, hang up 10 sec later, and will go back to the computer, and completely forget that i was suppose to take out the garbage. I can't even remember what someone told me 10 min ago. I don't know what is happening to me.

For those of you that are online 24/7 creating stealth accounts,etc THAT IS GOOD, but please take a break before you end up like me!!
I am with you then, I spend far too much time online, if I am not doing one thing then I find somethine else to do

The future could be extremists wearing hazmat suits whilst reading emails...

Old 04-18-2011

I am also guilty of spending alot of time in front of the computer. But then I have a wealth of information and knowledge right in front of me.

I'm also researching something. When i'm not playing games that is. lol I've been addicted to the net since 28kbps dial up was the shiznit.

More so now that I'm single at the moment, dont have a woman to bust my %#&*@ for attention or pull me by the ear to get off the pc.

Last edited by cobber_gc; 04-18-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: proof read fail.
Old 04-18-2011
Administrator

Thanked 4,197 Times in 1,780 Posts
Activity: 18%
Longevity: 100%

I'm thankful it's possible I can leave the PC for more then a few hours at a time without having to worry that something bad might happen.

There was a time (4-5 years ago) that if I left, I would have a lot of angry customers waiting on their orders. My business was 24/7 and the only time I would rest was between the hours of 2am to maybe 7am. And because I was 24/7, if I had an order come in or someone try to contact me I would receive a very loud ringing noise, like an alarm clock, that would wake me up. At that time I didn't have an assistant to help me run things.

Ninja, I think you should read a book called "The 4 Hour Work Week". It may help put your priorities in order.

Good luck,
Old 04-19-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,068 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 80%

Red X,

If you are worried about your memory issues, you should probably see a doctor. Seriously.

Sometimes these things are nothing. I'm 45, and I cannot remember most of the people I went to high school with. This is normal. But if you forget your best friend's name, that would not be so normal.

You mentioned that you are young. If, God forbid, there IS an issue, the earlier they catch it, the better the ouitcome will likely be.

But again, these things can be normal. There was one time I put a pizza in the oven and forgot about it until the smoke detector went off. Many people go into a shopping mall and cannot quite remember where they parked their car when they come out. These things happen and do not usually mean you have Alzheimers.

Are you addicted to the internet? Probably to some degree. But is that any different from a person who watches 12 hours of TV a day? Or constantly listens to music? There are a lot worse things that you could be addicted to...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
aspkin (04-19-2011)
Old 04-19-2011

Another cool thing I like to do is stand at my laptop, they have laptop stations you can purchase, designed for standing at, feels much better to work while standing you can move around and do other things while pages are loading keep the blood circulating which could help your memory, too much sitting can put all your blood in your *ss, if you're on your feet moving around more you can keep the blood flowing to your brain.
Old 04-19-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,068 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbluntz View Post
Another cool thing I like to do is stand at my laptop, they have laptop stations you can purchase, designed for standing at, feels much better to work while standing you can move around and do other things while pages are loading keep the blood circulating which could help your memory, too much sitting can put all your blood in your *ss, if you're on your feet moving around more you can keep the blood flowing to your brain.
But what if my brain is IN my *ss?
Old 04-19-2011

You almost had me stumped on that one Jeff lol I'd say you need a colonic to get it out and a brain surgeon to put it back where it belongs lol...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbluntz For This Useful Post:
jeffweico (04-24-2011)
Old 04-19-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,339 Times in 958 Posts
Longevity: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbluntz View Post
So true. A recent premier on CNBC with Facebook had one programmer talking about how that is exactly how he works all day and it is much better. Been thinking about it a lot.
Old 04-19-2011
Red X

yeah, I think something Is definitely wrong, I was told to get ready to go to the Post Office 5 min ago, but I sat here, and everyone asked me if I was ready to go, and my response was "Go where?"
Old 04-19-2011

From my weird life experiences, I feel it is a bit of a problem, but you can do little things to help.

I totally agree with jbluntz about the sweating thing. e.g. when we get the flu we are told to drink water and 'sweat it out'. - get them toxins out.

I also seen stop smoking stuff where its same thing - sweat them toxins out- and drinking and other stuff - bad food/dr ugz/ bad liquids (etc.)

I experienced these things myself and as a 'subject' I can confirm, water and sweat in moderation is real good for everyone old enough to drink alcohol (i dont wanna give advice for young as us oldies can 'take a beating'!!!)

Also moving about and standing are all good things. Regular breaks are good as it helps with 'R.S.I' and talking regular breaks helps with many other things....

.... there are programs you can download that sit in system tray and at 'the correct healthy time' it tells you to take a break etc... and to sit the F up straight!

Its all common sense but sometimes in our busy lifes, it needs to be mentioned so we can fix up a little!

I am the worst as all I do is lye in my bed, not even chair... so bad back/body position etc.... everything is remote... lights... computer.... keypad... doggie!

All you yougies (spelling).... sit up straight and get a good posture going on. Take breaks and dont get addicted to the computer as I have and stay in all day with the pc!...

.... get a few quid and got out at least weekly and 'rave'.... I say 'rave' to the d&b XxX
Old 04-19-2011

Send a message via MSN to ShadyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red X View Post
yeah, I think something Is definitely wrong, I was told to get ready to go to the Post Office 5 min ago, but I sat here, and everyone asked me if I was ready to go, and my response was "Go where?"
Perhaps you need to upgrade your memory........................
Old 04-22-2011

I find my time online is both stimulating and relaxing.We run a free range egg farm as our day job and my job in that is to grade and pack 6,000 eggs a day. It's mind numbing, hot in summer, cold in winter. My time online helps me see there is a world that doesn't include housework, chickens and the smell of chicken poo that my old man walks into the house.

I love these forums because I cannot stand bullies and ebay and Paypal are most definitely that.

I also love my trading activities - not just for the money (although I like that) but for the mental stimulation that I cannot get elsewhere. Mills and Boon doesn't cut it I'm afraid
Old 04-22-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,539 Times in 7,840 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 81%

You are most welcome to the forum.
Old 04-23-2011

Longevity: 75%
Send a message via Yahoo to WasTopRatedThenBanned

I find this post to be very useful. Thanks all for comments and OP for writing.
Old 04-23-2011
Red X

No problem. It Is getting better for me now since I take breaks. I do stretches, pushups,etc. I try not to eat alot while sitting here all day, because that just sends fat to the belly, and I cannot allow that to happen, so I eat in smaller portions now, and try not to make myself full, because then I'll become lazy.

Soon I'll be working, so this addiction WILL STOP.
Old 04-23-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,539 Times in 7,840 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 81%

CBC.ca | Homerun | The Angry French Canadian: Extreme sandwich, Quebec style
Old 02-26-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,933 Times in 3,398 Posts
Longevity: 77%

When I was about the age of 16-24 I would be online literally 24/7, Once I met my wife things changed and it changed even more after my little girl was born. There is more to life than being online. We do so much now as a family and I wouldn't have it any other way. This is one of the only forums I actually enjoy the most. I am extremely happy to be part of this community.
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
aspkin (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012

Longevity: 68%

i am quite sad to read your story, personally, i think you are a little addicted to the net's world, a virtual world.

i used to spend about 12 hours a day online several years ago when i started my online business, and then one day i reached to a point where i started wondering what is the goal of my life, i started to question what i am doing. i realize that i am very far far away from the real world. friends, relatives, loved one etc, they are actually the most important things in my life.

now i only spend about 5-6 hours a day online handling business with my partners, spend more time with my friends, parents, they are too valueable to me, i can't lose them.

learn to develop some hobbies if you can.i like mountain climbing, go fishing, i do it every weekend,watching premier league game, horse racing when i was in UK. these hobbies can divert my interest from the net easily and make my life more colorful every single day. i even install a small software on my computer to remind me how long i have been using computer!!

enjoy your life fully, net world is only a tiny portion of life.
The Following User Says Thank You to auctionman For This Useful Post:
aspkin (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012

Longevity: 69%

Read The 4 Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss as aspkin advised

This is a great book that opens a lot of secrets about life and about yourself

After reading Timothy Ferriss my life changed...

You can find on ebay amazon for 10-15$ or you can download from torrents,depends how do you like to read...I prefer real books))

Just my 2 cents Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to jamcocktail21 For This Useful Post:
aspkin (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012

Just downloaded the audio book, I hate reading = )