AAS - 20 minutes of development - results - THE NEXT EBAY - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 04-13-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 93%
Default AAS - 20 minutes of development - results - THE NEXT EBAY

www.agcssautomotive.com/aas

I'm making auction software. Need people to work for me. Above is link to a test server, it's just 20 minutes worth of fooling around. Need to add graphics, but even without it compare that to eBay.

I'm looking for:

programmers (any language)
graphic artists
promoters
business people
investors

See the link above for details.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-13-2008

Longevity: 94%

Extension, do you have a budget for this project?
(Bluehost FTW :P)
Old 04-13-2008
Threadstarter  

I only have a plan. Start with nothing and meet my buds in a ho mansion drinking something expensive. Join me. Money will be spend as needed. AAS is a fundation. Just like going to mars, we go to moon first. AAS should take several month to develop, to be just as good as eBay is, from then on money will be needed for hosting, advertising, lawyers, etc.

Last edited by extension; 04-13-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Longevity: 100%

You'll probably make more money developing the software and selling it to other people to try and make the next eBay.

I like ideas that seem impossible though. I have them it seems every few minutes when I'm online. I don't get them done most of the time. But even if I can get only 10% of the projects that I dream about done, it's some amazing stuff that makes money for years to come.

I hope you're a to-do list type of person.
Old 04-13-2008
Threadstarter  

Thing is it does not look impossible from my point of view. As far as making platform that is as good as eBay's is. In my world the platform is a foundation and others have failed because their platform sucked.

I should be able to develop a great platform in a few months, because I have a secret weapon which allows rapid development.

I need people. At this point programmers and graphic developers.

Stop being negative a help me out. Advertise for me on your own site to help me find people.

Just an example. That little AAS logo at the top left took me as long as it took me to write the rest of main gui. Plus the logo sux. I shouldn't even be messing with graphics. It's too time consuming and my results aren't that good. There is logo, buttons, backgrounds. There is no reason why a few man can't make a site like eBay in a few short months. Like I said I have a secret weapon, and if I dedicate several hours a day to this I will progress a long way.

Last edited by extension; 04-13-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2008

I have a script that replicates this:
http://www.bid4house.net

(supposed to be a "ebay clone")
Old 04-13-2008
Threadstarter  

What you write that with? I'm using PHP with VCL. Visual development. (super easy)

Your site shows my point, everything out there that is suppose to rival eBay totally sux. That's the problem. To turn people on we need software that they love to get turn on for. Need something that is fing good. That's what I want to do.
Old 04-16-2008
Threadstarter  

A quick update. It appears I suck at PHP. Even with visual PHP it still seems alien to me. But I realized the bigger problem. eBay dominates not just auction sites, but the world. They have many national websites, and to compete with eBay one would have to attack them globally.

Problem with that is a lot of money are needed. Millions.

But I found a better solution, eBay is dominating auction market on the internet. Let them be, don't compete with them, create a new global market place but not on the internet.

This idea I can implement, because I don't have to program for web, and I'm good at that. And there will be no competition which will allow growth.

Furthermore, no money for expensive hosting plans are needed. Regular hosting, even shared hosting will do.

AND even better, this marketplace could be free.
Old 04-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
I have a script that replicates this:
Bid4House.net :: Bid For Your Dream Home 24/7

(supposed to be a "ebay clone")
This template don't look professionnal. We need something that look like that but in english:
ÌÔ±¦Íø
Old 04-16-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by extension View Post
Furthermore, no money for expensive hosting plans are needed. Regular hosting, even shared hosting will do.
I used to manage a server farm of about 300 servers. A shared hosting environment will NOT work for a traffic-intensive website. Once the visitors start coming, you will have 2 options:

1. Your host will kick you off the shared plan.
2. You move to a dedicated server.

Most likely you'll choose option 2, which is when additional servers will be needed, load balancing, etc. Did you know eBay is run on a few hundred servers?
Old 04-17-2008

I thought they had a shared server with Bluehost imjustme

I moved to VPS after having incredibly slow server load. In the end, I got kicked off totally for running proxy sites
Old 04-17-2008

Longevity: 99%
Default Google already has a platform better than EBAY's...

have for a couple of years now.

Google Base

All they need is the billing front end for an auction site.

But they haven't done it. Yet anyway.
Old 04-17-2008
Threadstarter  

Yea, eBay is a dynamic site, they use scrips which server executes, they need a lot of server power to run their application. But I got this smart idea that requires no server power to run. Can't tell you yet, but it's coming fast.

For those of you who want to make a website to compete with eBay, do know it is not just an auction site, it is a world wide deal.

That is, this model that most have does not fit nor will work to compete with ebay:

SITE ----> CATEGORY -----> ITEM

Ebay has this:

WORLD ------> COUNTRY ----> SITE -----> CATEGORY -----> SUB CATEGORY -----> ITEM

Country would have serveral sites, such as eBay motors, Half.com, eBay.com, etc... And all their inventory is searchable from any site. That is A LOT of server power.

Too much in fact, and out of my reach of things plausible. Thus I'm not even doing a web based auction software.
Old 04-17-2008
Executive [VIP]

Theres definitely the opportunity for someone to move in on ebays terriroty and they are losing customers by the day, with paypal being implemented as a must it creates an even great opportunity for someone with the skills, money, time and effort to create an ebay competitor.

eBay is a worldwide company, but it started in one place which is exactly what you should do rather then thinking to compete worldwide. If you have the persistence to try and create something that matches ebay or even exceeds it then great, but many have failed, so many auction sites like ebay are just crap. they look crap, the method of use is not user friendly etc.

There are heaps of people who would be willing to use an ebay alternative which was more friendly, less fee's, less overall bull****, however traffic is what you need after you create a good platform, logo and design.

goodluck with finding all the resources you need.
Old 04-17-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by extension View Post
But I got this smart idea that requires no server power to run. Can't tell you yet, but it's coming fast.
From a programmer's point of view (mine), this seems impossible. Everything requires server power. And the more visitors you get, the more servers you need. eBay could probably run their entire website off 1 server without problems, but they don't for 2 reasons:

1. They need to balance the visitors/hits. Billions of hits onto one server at once will crash it.
2. They need to keep the applications that run the website and the database, such as listings, billing data, etc. separate from each other.

And they could only run it off 1 server if they got no visitors. But you either want a successful website, then you need multiple (in this case, hundreds) of servers eventually. Or you run it off a shared hosting account if you don't get any visitors, but then your business is doomed.

Bottom line is, you can't say you won't need multiple (again, likely hundreds of) servers for a successful website.
Old 04-18-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

I must again point out that it is not the backend programming makes ebay so successful, it is all about advertising and marketing. The name does have alot of importance, it can make or break any business or even any person, believe or not, that's how wicked it is.

Don't try to mimick ebay, the world refuses copycats, people like originality, although America is waiting for a better online auction site to replace the Ivan the terrible ebay, but so far in America there is not another online auction site comes close, all because all those others are trying to mimick ebay style, that is a no no to begin with, then those other sites can't market themselves so only few people know about them, what's worse, their service sucks and lack of visitors/buyers.

There is only one other online auction site in the entire world kicks ebay's ass, that is taobao.com in China. More people trading on taobao than entire ebay world member population!!

Taobao doesn't immitate ebay in anyway, its style runs opposite direction from ebay. Except one very important and critical thing, that is advertising and marketing, it requires that even in a country with world's largest population.
Old 04-18-2008

Longevity: 99%
Default Do you have any idea how many have tried to duplicate EBAY?

And failed miserably. Some that have huge software divisions with huge expertise on the web.

It isn't an interface that is important. Google realized this and created Google Checkout first to see how that plays before making an official GBAY. I think they will, but it still may be 2-3 years away as they get the bugs out of Google Checkout's system.

There are tons of competitors now too. They all suck except Google Base which is very refined but has no auction front end and is not popular for purchases.

EBAY is established with a ton of large sellers they cater to. They are weeding out the little guy to be more profitable. Why? Most of the little guys are good doobies. But they are expensive to maintain relative to the larger players. These large sellers will not leave EBAY for a different provider. Only the little guy will.

Within that group of little guys, there are a number of users that are frauds. Nigerians, fraudulent buyers and sellers. These are typically not the big folks. They are nickel and dimers to EBAY. So, if EBAY chucks all the little guys and only deals with the big guys, it reduces expenses dealing with the hassle.

My friend, you don't need software engineers to work for you. You need customers, large ones, with cash flow to back you and support your platform. So far, no one has pulled that off.