I couldn't log in with aol desktop. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 04-20-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 94%
Default I couldn't log in with aol desktop.

I just wasn't able to log into the forum with aol desktop. Ie and logged in fine. I haven't started a ebay account with aol desktop yet just wondering if they see it is a proxy?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-20-2008

Longevity: 93%

Yes, eb sees it as a proxy. Have 1 account that I log-in w/AOL desktop & if does come up Proxy. If you are going to use AOL, double-check w/ IP Burger - What is my IP Address? Find Your IP Address! or site similar to make sure your real IP has changed before signing-in w/EB. I noticed sometimes my real IP remains the same & I have to sign-off AOL, sign-in again & it changes. Be careful...and also, treat AOL like IE...in essence it is IE...clear cookies, etc. before signing in w/EB.
Old 04-20-2008
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 94%

if I run cc cleaner will it clear all my browsers. I have a apple, running parallels, I use windows for ebay because I can't find a cc cleaner for my mac. On windows I have ie, firefox and just downloaded aol desktop. So running cc cleaner would clean them all No? as long as they are all closed.
Old 04-20-2008

"If you are going to use AOL, double-check w/ IP Burger - What is my IP Address? Find Your IP Address! or site similar to make sure your real IP has changed before signing-in w/EB."

Isn't IPBurger, etc., useless if you have Java? I can have IPBurger showing the AOL proxy IP, but go to Check IP address. IP check. Find IP address. IP finder. Java IP Test. Static IP address. Hide ip address. Change IP address. Changing IP address. Anonymous IP address. and it shows my true IP.
Old 04-20-2008

Longevity: 99%
Default It isn't that IP Burger is useless..

it shows what your IP address not using Java.

However, you are correct. When accessing any web site that may use Java to determine your IP disabling Java is probably prudent.

Then go to the site you recommend and make sure it can no longer pick up your address.
Old 04-20-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayaintstupid View Post
it shows what your IP address not using Java.

However, you are correct. When accessing any web site that may use Java to determine your IP disabling Java is probably prudent.

Then go to the site you recommend and make sure it can no longer pick up your address.
I have been doing this for the past 24 hours - using eBay and PP through AOL 7 with Java disabled, and at Check IP address. IP check. Find IP address. IP finder. Java IP Test. Static IP address. Hide ip address. Change IP address. Changing IP address. Anonymous IP address. they show only the AOL proxy IP info.

I used to do an IPBurger check when using AOL to assure that EB/PP could not see my true IP address. But now it seems that these were false results. Even thought IPBurger etc. showed only my AOL proxy IP address, EB/PP could still read my true IP address using this Java system.

So for AOL (and all proxies?) IPBURGER is not longer reliable?
Old 04-21-2008

Longevity: 99%
Default What is unclear to me is if they can actually read it...

or just display it. There are options for Java Applets that allow you to do client side operations for display only. Those results cannot be fed back to the server.

Don't know enough about the code that does this, but if someone does, post and let us know.