eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Cinema or DVD? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/42619-cinema-dvd.html)

Thankful 02-12-2012 08:27 PM

Cinema or DVD?

Which do you prefer: going to the cinema to watch a movie or keeping inside and sticking a DVD on? Both have their advantages, but which is best?

Red X 02-12-2012 08:31 PM

I call it the movies, but I'd rather go to the cinema, because I get to eat nachos with cheese with peppers, extra cheese, and a large cherry coke, mmmmmm :good:

BiN4RY 02-12-2012 08:34 PM

Depends on the situation. Going to a cinema is a definite if I'm watching a movie with friends. If alone, I'd stick to digital downloads.

C.Japschin 02-12-2012 08:56 PM

I only go to the movies if there's a show I really wanted to watch or I really really am bored. Other than that, I just dl.

Javelin 02-13-2012 07:32 AM

Should be "Cinema or Blu-Ray"....
For Blu-Ray would rule.

But yeah, I'd only go to the Cinema if it it's something historic or a really really
must watch movie. And only those kind of movies come out every 6 or so months.

Thankful 02-13-2012 10:10 AM

Argh how can i forget blu ray :doh: i guess it can go with dvd's!

jeffweico 02-13-2012 07:56 PM

I prefer the comforts of home. In my younger days, I would have said the opposite. But things have changed.

First, we have MUCH larger screens and better pictures now than in the past, some even capable of 3D.

Second, it is cheaper, which means a lot in this economy. I can make my own popcorn with real butter instead of that nasty artificial "butter flavored" stuff most theaters use and drink it down with a can of soda, as opposed to the industrial sized vat they like to push. Of course, they have to do that, they can't think of any other way that people will fork over $10 for popcorn and a soda.

If I need to use the washroom, I can pause the movie. I don't have to put up with screaming babies, obnoxious teenagers or 15 minutes of commercials.

Hollywood wants to know why theater attendance is declining? At $10 a ticket PLUS the overpriced concessions PLUS parking and whatever else, it has become UNAFFORDABLE for many families. A family of four can easily spend $60 or more, which is a LOT for a couple of hours of entertainment. Especially if the movie turns out to be crappy, which happens quite often.

Edited to add: In 1929, a movie ticket cost 25 cents. In fact, history tells us that movies were very popular back then, because for the small admission price, people could forget their troubles and enjoy themselves for a couple of hours. Theaters were built that were more like show palaces, with very fancy decorations and luxurious seating to enhance that effect. Ushers kept order and concessions were reasonably priced. Adjusted for inflation, that quarter was worth about $3.25 in 2010 money. And what do we now have? For THREE TIMES THE PRICE, you can sit in a crummy box-like theater and watch your movie, provided you don't slip on the grease on the floor and end up in the hospital. If a gang fight breaks out, it is YOUR problem. Nobody keeps order. And the concessions are outrageously priced. And yet, Hollywood cries poor and demands MORE, MORE, MORE. Disgusting...

Javelin 02-14-2012 01:09 AM

@ Jeffweico: Yes, the fee of admission to just watching a new cinema movie these days is rather high and expensive. And with rampant piracy and downloading of movies online, to go along with those high ticket prices and overpriced concession goods; a couple of theaters I know are no longer being operated and have shut down. Which is a shame, because before the dawn of the internet age, Movie Theaters were the place to go to, in order to have a good family day out or just to enjoy and unwind from a long day of work watching vivid and captivating stories unravel onscreen. Back then, it was a great form of entertainment and past time. Now it's more treated as an unneeded and complicated luxury.

Blu-Ray and more future higher resolution formats viewing at home
is the wave of the future, unless the whole Cinema industry gets a total overhaul.

jeffweico 02-14-2012 03:34 AM

Here are a few alternative ideas, some good for kids, and others for adults:

Mini-Golf
Day at the beach
Ice Skating
Roller Skating
Museums
Zoos
Parks/Picnics
Amusement Parks
Water Parks
Visit a farm and pick your own fruits/veggies
Laser Tag
Carnivals
Circuses

There are usually a ton of sports activities for kids. Call your local city hall, there are usually a ton of community events in the summer. Church groups also have things going on. Get together with other parents and plan a day of activities in the park.

There really is no shortage of things to do, it is not like theaters have a monopoly. Many of these activities are less expensive than the movies while some may cost a little more but are also more rewarding.

We have a 73" Mitsubishi DLP, which is cheap and has a great picture. Sometimes we pick up a couple of Blu-Rays from a Redbox for $1.50 @ and the kids invite their friends over. 10+ people can watch a double feature and gouge themselves on popcorn for less than the cost of a single movie ticket. WORKS FOR ME!

MM78 02-16-2012 12:26 AM

For me, I rather go to the Cinema, it's the only freaking time I get to have alone time with my wife, plus I my wife and I must want to see the movie really bad. After I do watch a movie at the Cinema I will get a dvd of it.

boooootleg!

rsot 02-16-2012 05:44 AM

Good points all around - depends on the feel vs. situation. For entertaining, definitely home.

pod 02-16-2012 10:24 AM

Going out with a group can be fun, but I find it more and more rare these days. I have a 120 inch HD projector so its just more convenient at home. I barely go to theater once a year now it seems. Maybe even less. Not really sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing to be honest. Movies have become much less social for me for sure

teedon 02-17-2012 11:34 AM

For me,i will choose both of them.If i have time and good mood,and then go to the cinema.If i do not want to go out,i will drink the tea and lay on the sofa when i watch the dvd at home.

GTB 02-17-2012 11:44 AM

i would choose blue-ray for sarcasms sake

GrannyT 02-17-2012 02:30 PM

I took the eldest Granddaughter to see Warhorse on Wednesday - great film, great cinema, great experience.

So much so that tomorrow afternoon I'm taking all the grand-kids to see the new Muppets movie

Popcorn all round

:pop2:

GTB 02-17-2012 03:21 PM

warhorse....i want to see that film

looks awesome and it is a Spielberg film so you know its gonna be worth a watch

rsot 02-17-2012 03:50 PM

Anyone see The Grey?

GTB 02-17-2012 03:53 PM

no sot,whats that about?

rsot 02-17-2012 04:00 PM

Some new film with Liam Neissen (or however you spell his name) - seems to have received good reviews.

Thankful 02-17-2012 04:08 PM

Yeah i'm looking to go see the grey too, heard good stuff about that.

GrannyT 02-17-2012 04:23 PM

Liam Neissen just rocks my boat

Michael Collins - superb!!

rsot 02-17-2012 04:45 PM

Thought you like Pierce Brosnan best GTran...or was that someone else?