eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   what is the most popular chinese dish in your country? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/43147-what-most-popular-chinese-dish-your-country.html)

auctionman 02-26-2012 01:21 AM

what is the most popular chinese dish in your country?

as China is well-known for her rich variety of cuisines, just wonder what is the most popular chinese dish in your country.

i used to study in UK, i worked in a Chinese Take-Away part time for a year, it seems to me the Brits like fried rice dish and beef in green pepper black bean sauce. i was once asked what is the difference between the Chinese and the Brits by an old army soldier , my first response is the Chinese will live to eat while the Brits will eat to live.

it is quite interesting to learn different culture in different country.

jamblix 02-26-2012 01:29 AM

Here in Southern California, we have this amazing place called Panda Express. Orange chicken, beef and broccoli, fried rice, chow mein, sweet and sour pork etc...There are 2 types of Panda Express workers, ones that scoop big and ones that are dead to me.

The Korean owned Chinese restaurants make Champong kind of like a seafood noodle soup that's good as **** and Jia-Jang-Myun kind of like noodles with black sauce which is equally as good. Don't know what the black sauce is called, it's freakin good. There are rarely any places that sell authentic Chinese food in Cali.

I had a Chinese roommate once and she ate some funky **** like green almost rotten smelling eggs and some other stuff that I couldn't even identify.

jeffweico 02-26-2012 01:31 AM

Some of my favorites, but some were - as I understand it - invented here by Chinese immigrants to the USA...

Sweet & Sour Chicken
Teriyaki Chicken
Mongolian Beef
Teriyaki Steak
Fried Won Tons
Kung Pao Shrimp/Beef/Chicken
Peking Duck
Egg Foo Young
Garlic Chicken
Egg Rolls
Fried Rice
Spicy Chicken (like Sweet & Sour Chicken with attitude!)
Dim Sum

All of these are pretty popular. Here, we have many, many Chinese Buffets, so we can have a variety when we go. But the BEST Chinese food definitely does NOT come from the buffets. For the best stuff, you have to search for a REALLY GOOD restaurant. Those are few and far between.

Sandy D 02-26-2012 12:20 PM

Properly made chicken lo mein.

auctionman 02-26-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy D (Post 315487)
Properly made chicken lo mein.

chicken lo mein? never heard of this dish. is it made of noodle without soup, sounds like a famous dish is north-west of China.

looks like chinese food in America is quite similiar to that in UK, they are not original chinese cuisine, that is for sure. i m gonna find out what the chinese food looks like in USA when i move there sometime next year. any good well-known chinese restaurant in Oakland and Seattle?

Pringles 02-27-2012 07:19 AM

I think teriyaki chicken is japanese
I like all the typical stuff
Yum cha food and chinese takeaway etc

auctionman 02-27-2012 10:41 PM

MSG is no-no to me, i am afraid. seriously, MSG is not good to your hair, it can cause hair loss.

jeffweico 02-27-2012 10:49 PM

Chinese food here is known for the MSG...

Also, a lady who owned a Chinese restaurant told me the food is quite different here than in China. She said when she served food, it is a lot of meat or chicken with a little bit of rice and some vegetables. When she ate, it was a large portion of white rice with some vegetables and a little bit of meat.

Teriyaki Chicken MAY be Japanese, I am not sure. But Mrs. Ing served it in her restaurant as an appetizer - that and teriyaki steak. It came in thin strips on wooden sticks and IT WAS WONDERFUL! Alas, she closed her place and retired a few years ago. Everyone I know misses the place. She had awesome food and it was not very expensive. Her place served the best egg rolls I ever had.

MM78 02-28-2012 12:18 AM

If you are in Southern California you definitely should try a place called Tasty Siam in Harbor City (near Wilmington,CA). They have some of the best Thai food in the area.

I usually start with an order of Sa-Te of Beef, then have their soup which is delicious, then move onto their chicken salad.

By the time I finish those off I'm too damn full to eat my main meal, haha. But if by some miracle I do I usually go with their Tasty Siam Fried Rice with Shrimp.

Sandy D 02-28-2012 01:41 AM

I like Mark Pis General Tso's. Has a nice bite to it.

biggunn 02-28-2012 10:12 PM

The most popular? Definitely some Orange Chicken!

jamblix 02-28-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marysman78 (Post 315907)
If you are in Southern California you definitely should try a place called Tasty Siam in Harbor City (near Wilmington,CA). They have some of the best Thai food in the area.

I usually start with an order of Sa-Te of Beef, then have their soup which is delicious, then move onto their chicken salad.

By the time I finish those off I'm too damn full to eat my main meal, haha. But if by some miracle I do I usually go with their Tasty Siam Fried Rice with Shrimp.

Since when does Thai food have anything to do with Chinese food. It's like we're having a BBQ discussion and you start talking about tacos. Unless you're one of those who think all Asians are the same.

bruckshut 02-29-2012 02:52 AM

Yang Chow Fried Lice

rsot 02-29-2012 10:44 AM

Sauteed Garlic Beef - heavy on the spice.

GrannyT 02-29-2012 11:00 AM

Duck with Pancakes and Hoi-Sin sauce

yaBeh8ater 03-05-2012 12:19 AM

I live in a pretty big country so I couldn't tell ya. But I love eating off the buffet. My faves are noodles, rice, general tao's chicken, orange chicken (most fave), any other chickens, and I love love love crab legs but don't care for shrimp which is odd since they taste about the same.

MM78 03-05-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamblix (Post 316335)
Since when does Thai food have anything to do with Chinese food. It's like we're having a BBQ discussion and you start talking about tacos. Unless you're one of those who think all Asians are the same.

We went from talking about food to stereotyping? When did I exactly say or presumed to say that all Asians are the same? And Panda Express isn't real "authentic" Chinese food, next your gonna tell me Taco Bell is Mexican.

BigCJ 03-05-2012 12:50 AM

I tend to like the authentic chinese from here in NYs chinatown. The Steamed buns (sweet pork or baked sweet bean buns) and the peking duck with steamed cabbage and rice.

jeffweico 03-05-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marysman78 (Post 317725)
We went from talking about food to stereotyping? When did I exactly say or presumed to say that all Asians are the same? And Panda Express isn't real "authentic" Chinese food, next your gonna tell me Taco Bell is Mexican.

Panda Express is mediocre at best.

Most "Chinese" food sold here to Americans is not authentic Chinese.

Taco bell is not, of course, authentic Mexican food, but I have to admit that I LOVE their Mexi-Melts. Give me 4 of those with sour cream, and I'm happy!

zzzz 03-06-2012 08:00 PM

egg fired rice :)

jamblix 03-06-2012 11:05 PM

Mmmm Taco Bell. Taco Bell is TOTALLY Mexican is that a joke? Tacos and burritos are Mexican man, I don't care what anyone says. Who cares if it's not authentically made, it's still categorized as "Mexican" food. Yeah you aren't gonna find authentic Chinese food here in SoCal, or it's gonna be hard. I don't think a lot of us really know what authentic Chinese foods are, I sure as hell don't I do know they eat some weird stuff though. Anyone wanna bite the head off a half-grown chicken fetus? No thanks...

biggunn 03-06-2012 11:18 PM

I wish Taco Bell still had the chilito...