eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Saftey of using a neighboring business's free WiFi...? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/43615-saftey-using-neighboring-businesss-free-wifi.html)

turnpike 03-08-2012 09:25 AM

Saftey of using a neighboring business's free WiFi...?

I think my original post was moved or something, but it looks like everything is game in here... I am local to a business who beams out free WiFi for thier waiting room, and I was thinking to dedicate a computer to that internet connection as that signal is on all the time and strong enough for me to use.

What's the downside to this? There is no password required to connect, is there an issue that someone can see what I do online, that it's Ebay, or my computer name, or anything...? I've searched, but most of the posts I found online refer to selling some kind of encrypting software.

If I'm not concerned about the Eb*y-Linking issues, only the WiFi ones, are there any? Is it considered wrong to use someone's wifi like that? Can they see what I connect to or that I sell on Ebay or what my account name is, or my passwords or something?

Any input would be really appreciated. Thanks guys!

Thankful 03-08-2012 09:49 AM

Hi there, in theory it sounds like a good idea, since it's free wifi which they offer to the public - however to run your eBay regularly from it doesn't sound to good to me, lets say other people connect to eBay in the waiting room sometimes and you use it regularly - this will link you to all them other people using eBay & Paypal - you say your not concerned about linking issues but i think you should be, if one person gets banned or limited for any reason you'll also get punished for it and vice versa - it's just not worth the risk you may cause to yourself or others, go for a cheap dongle - the aim of stealth is to AVOID linking at all costs!!

I'm sure a company offering free wifi, monitors what people do aswell, who knows what this may lead too. it's really up to you but personally i would not recommend it!!! :boink:

Sounds like a half assed attempt to go stealth you need to go in all guns blazing!

DONGLE DONGLE DONGLE!!!!

Good luck.

turnpike 03-08-2012 10:01 AM

Thanks... I was thinking to use it for a day or two to set up some accounts, and let them age, then use a dongle on the same computer (for cookies, etc) a month or two down the road... does this sound safe?

Thankful 03-08-2012 10:06 AM

Yeah, using it to setup should be fine, a one or two time use would not link you permanently, a regular use will!

Since it's the same computer make sure you open up a new user account later on when you start to use a dongle.

:thumb:

rsot 03-08-2012 10:15 AM

Answered on your other post - seems like a double post.

GrannyT 03-08-2012 10:37 AM

How much are you going to save turnpike? Is it really worth the potential hassle?

turnpike 03-08-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 319011)
Answered on your other post - seems like a double post.

Where is the other post? I cant find it, I thought it got deleted. It doesnt even come up when I look up "see all posts by Turnpike". Was it moved? I can't find it.

rsot 03-08-2012 10:58 AM

Ah right - it got moved. Anyhow here was my post:

Just like working with public wifi - same rules apply. Likely to have much less users on the IP but would still need to be careful.

turnpike 03-08-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrannyT (Post 319026)
How much are you going to save turnpike? Is it really worth the potential hassle?

If that's how GrannyT feels about it- I'm getting a dongle today. I always loved your posts...

rsot 03-08-2012 12:31 PM

Sure good point - GTran suggests to keep it clean so why not - not expensive at all.