eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Changing screen resolution on CentOS 5? With ssh port using putty? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/57270-changing-screen-resolution-centos-5-ssh-port-using-putty.html)

GhostWhoWalks 03-01-2013 09:38 PM

Changing screen resolution on CentOS 5? With ssh port using putty?

Hey guys I set up a VPS, yesterday after finding a provider for a full 16 or 18 hours the day before. No joke I spend a lot of time researching.

Anyways I am not so good at this sort of a thing. I wanted to change the screen resolution because this is what it looks like when I am on the VPS, I can't fully see like a normal computer.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2laaqn6.png

Notice the bottom right the line in red I painted? I have to scroll to the side to see what is there. Gets annoying after a while. Plus it's not high enough. So I wanted to change the screen resolution.

I got a message from the VPS company tech guy. "you can edit etc/sysconfig/vncservers" okay great. I use putty it's a thing that connects to the server to do some programming I guess? Anyways it has a black screen like cmd, with commands you type in. But I have no idea what commands to type in! I spent hours on youtube looking at video, online researching but I came up with the stuff but still I don't know what to type in after root and password to get to that stage.

http://i48.tinypic.com/9bahvt.png

I know I am doing it wrong but I got no idea. I've looked online and they all say "edit" yeah but how?!?!?

Anyways thanks. I can't figure this out at all. (picture of guy smashing his laptop) lol.

golden_monkey 03-01-2013 10:51 PM

waoh, you are using CentOS and the command prompt is scary?

or is it that you are using putty to connect to a VPS the is running CENT?

anyways.

permission denied.. dead end, tell the tech doods you don't have permission to access that file.
if you wanna edit those files you need to fire up "vi"

vi is the text editor you can use to edit those files... its like the command prompt notepad.

trying opening vi then opening the files via vi :-P :-P

golden_monkey 03-01-2013 10:59 PM

noooodling....

try this

system-config-display --reconfig --set-resolution=1920x1200 < or whatever

then run the command restart x OR ctrl alt backspace

im not sure how you are connecting so im of limited help

GhostWhoWalks 03-01-2013 11:34 PM

Do I just type this out without hitting any keys before?

It's fine I hope that support guy gets up.

I was having such a hard time installing everything with commands, that he just said let me do it I'll be done in 20 minutes. :pound:

:hail:

Elijah 03-02-2013 08:24 AM

Which vnc server are you using? I use tightvnc and just set the screen resolution at the same time that I start the server on the vps. So I log into the user account that I want with putty and then just enter for example:

vncserver :1 -geometry 1400x900 -depth 16 -pixelformat rgb565

Which sets my resolution to 1400x900. If you wanted a different resolution you would just change that line to whatever you wanted.

GhostWhoWalks 03-02-2013 09:16 AM

I have tried that code you just typed in. My screen is bigger but gray this time. Also. How do I know which vnc server I am using? Like the hosting name or company you mean? Sorry Elijah I am really a noob at this.

And thank you so much!

Elijah 03-02-2013 09:59 AM

I meant the vnc server that is installed on your VPS, which is what the vnc client on your host machine connects to. I use tightvnc server on the VPS and tightvnc viewer client on my Windows PC to connect to it.

Since you got the strange grey screen after writing that command, I'm going to assume that it's not tightvnc. So try out tightvnc.

I'm more experienced with Ubuntu and Debian (since that is what I use on VPS) but I think the same procedure should work for you with CentOS as long as you replace "apt-get" with "yum". So enter the following while logged in as root, one line at a time:

yum update
yum install tightvncserver
vncserver -kill :1

Change the resolution to whatever you wish of course.

GhostWhoWalks 03-02-2013 10:37 AM

Oh I use "VNC viewer 4" if that helps. That's to log into the vps so it looks like windows to surf the web and be all stealth. In this case RealVNC - Download VNC® Viewer Is what I use. But for the coding stuff putty.

I had emailed support he fixed it for me but still waiting on the resolution part.

I am only going to use VPS for up to 13-17 accounts before I get my own server set up. And use apple system cause it's easier and have my Ip's set up that way also. It only takes 30 seconds per account apple guy showed me. But this stuff is so out of the world. I don't know how you managed to get to know all this coding stuff Elijah!

CentOS 5 is what I am using. YES "yum" is what I have seen when I set everything up.

He just changed it for me to 1024x800 I had no idea this was possible.

Since the only resolutions I know of are the same ones posted here
Display resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you so much Elijah!!!!!!!!! You rock man thanks so much. I would try this but he fixed it for me I am scared to risk it. How did you learn about all this coding stuff??? I mean eb/pp, etc business plus coding etc. i know the human brain can do a lot but gosh learning this and knowing the right information to learn you know? I did try to look up tuts on how to.. but then I seen red hat, linux, etc. I was like omg! :(

And time is limited just to learn a coding for resolution so I figured I'd ask. Now that it's done I'd like to learn since I got the issue out of the way. I think apple would of been easier! Or even windows.

Thanks so much once again Elijah!!!! I spent countless hours. I'll test it out and I saved the coding on .txt file. and email.