eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Honest people exist... (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/5915-honest-people-exist.html)

divine422 07-11-2008 07:16 PM

Honest people exist...

I mention in the 'what cell phone do you have' a while back that i use to have a blackberry8820. But on my graduation day i left it in a cab. I didnt take the cab i called for, just the one that there for someone else, but they werent around. So i took that one. After going to the hotel i realize i didnt have it. I called every cab company in toronto (i practically know all by name now) but i couldnt remember for the life of me what color the cab was. Since i didnt take the one i called there was no way of knowing. So no help there. Even reported it to the police. Even the cops were like uhhh its a long shot but ill take the report. The guy at the telephone company laughed. He was like "haha if i found a blackberry hell, i would keep it... no offence".

Now im not super rich or anything business was going well and i just wanted to treat myself so i was really disappointed, considering once you go blackberry you dont go back. I had moved on basically. Got a new phone (same number). 3 weeks later i get a call from this kid and hes asking me me if i lost a blackberry. He took the same cab i took and saw it on the floor, charged it and looked for the registered number on the sim card. He lived in another city so i had to drive out to get it. He was maybe 13? I wont forget the look on his face when i went to their house, he was SO happy to return it. I gave him half the value of the phone in cash considering i was about to buy another one. His dad was also there, they were so proud. Didnt know people like that still existed.

GreenBean 07-11-2008 07:27 PM

It is the principle. The kid acted in good faith. It does not matter about the value of the cell phone. What is the crux of the story is a young person was decent.

divine422 07-11-2008 07:28 PM

Actually it was unlocked, you could use any sim card and it could never be traced.

greg2414 07-11-2008 07:38 PM

cant they blow the chip?

highwhey 07-11-2008 07:57 PM

They exist, but very rare.

aspkin 07-11-2008 08:04 PM

that's pretty awesome, good kid.

badebay 07-11-2008 11:53 PM

as i always suspected; 90% people are honest and socially responsible. unlike the media reports to us

ebayhateluv 07-11-2008 11:57 PM

Good Kid.. His Parents must have raised him right.. :)

highwhey 07-12-2008 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badebay (Post 50541)
as i always suspected; 90% people are honest and socially responsible. unlike the media reports to us

I wouldn't say 90%...:(

John14789 07-12-2008 04:52 AM

LOL Modee man you made me laugh!
That was a good kid. Whatever the parent teaches to their child the child then adopts that teaching and acts it out.
By the way Modee I don't have to reprogam a gsm phone to use it.
Let me explain and no tech support charges for you my friend! :D
A GSM phone works on a sim card and is locked to a certain wireless network. As devine said it was unlocked so that means the phone can be used by any wireless network. It doesn't matter if a gsm phone is stolen you can still use it because it works on a sim card.
For a CDMA phone the phone is locked to a wireless network and can only be used on that wireless network unless the phone is gone through a process called "flash" in which you can change the wireless network. So if you find a CDMA phone you will not be able to use it since the imei number is on the wireless carrier's blacklist. All wireless phones are registered by their imei number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modee (Post 50519)
This is an interesting thread...could read as part of a Woody Allen movie script...was the kid acting in good faith, or in self interest hoping for a reward for a truly useless item?

Was he acting selflessly, or to make himself feel better by being congratulated.

Would he have done the same if a stack of baseball player cards or twenty dollar bills had been left on the floor of the cab?

imjustme 07-12-2008 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badebay (Post 50541)

...and the other 10% are regular eBay buyers :D