eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Eight Ways to Spot Counterfeit Money (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/59608-eight-ways-spot-counterfeit-money.html)

MM78 05-02-2013 09:39 AM

Eight Ways to Spot Counterfeit Money

1. Portrait
SecretService.govThe portraits on counterfeit money can sometimes look different from the portraits on real bills. On a real bill, the portrait tends to stand out from the background. However, on a counterfeit bill, the portrait’s coloring tends to blend too much with the rest of the bill. In addition, the portrait tends to look “lifeless and flat” on counterfeit bills, according to the Secret Service. Both DeSantis and Lowery pointed out that this difference is due to the different printing processes between real and counterfeit money. They noted that real currency uses printing methods that cannot be replicated by anyone else.
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/6iv...b7d_test-1.jpg

2. Federal Reserve and Treasury Seals
SecretService.govA real dollar bill will have Federal Reserve and Treasury Seals that are “clear, distinct and sharp,” according to the Secret Service. The agency points out that the seals on a counterfeit bill “may have uneven, blunt, or broken saw-tooth points.” One way to detect a counterfeit is by looking at the coloring. If the color of the Treasury Seal does not match the color of the serial number, the bill is ⊗⊗⊗⊗.
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/IO...458_Test_2.jpg

3. The Border
SecretService.govThe outside border on real paper currency are “clear and unbroken,” according to the Secret Service. However, the agency notes the edges on a counterfeit bill can be “blurred and indistinct.” Because of the difference in printing methods between genuine and counterfeit bills, the border ink can sometimes bleed on a phony. However, he added this was n0t among the most common way to detect counterfeit.
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/mLC...78b_Test_3.jpg

4. Serial Numbers
SecretService.govLooking at the serial numbers is another way to detect counterfeit money. The Secret Service points out that the serial numbers on a note must be the same color as the Treasury Seal. The agency also notes that the numbers on counterfeit bills “may not be uniformly spaced or aligned,” although Kersten believes these counterfeit identifying marks are rare. One sure way, however, to spot counterfeit bills is if several bills have the same serial number. “Face it, if you are running off thousands of those things, you aren’t going to bother changing the serial numbers,” he said.
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/n0...a13_Test_4.jpg

5. The Paper
SecretService.govReal bills have tiny red and blue fibers embedded in the paper, and counterfeiters have tried to replicate those. Ink marks can be printed onto the paper to look like hairs, Kersten said. He also noted that people have used cat or human hair that is dyed red or blue to embed into the bill. At close inspection, however, it is clear that the hairs are on the surface of the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ bill and not embedded into the paper. “But most people don’t even look for the hairs anymore because you have to look really closely,” Kersten said. “That is why the government put bigger things to look for in [the bills].”
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/XZQ...23f_test_5.jpg

6. Starch
At many grocery and convenience stores, clerks will use an iodine-based counterfeiting pen. The pen reacts to the starch in the paper. If the bill is real, the ink turns yellow. But if the bill is counterfeit, it will turn a dark blue or black. “Most counterfeiters don’t bother to use starch-free paper. They just use paper that simulates the color, thickness and look of real currency,” Kersten said. “But if your counterfeiter is good, they will use starch-free paper.”

7. The Feel
The feel is probably the most common way that people detect counterfeit, Kersten said. Real currency has a “raised texture” to it because of the type of press used to produce the bills. Counterfeit bills feel flat because they are often made digitally or on an offset press. People who handle a lot of cash “can just notice that something doesn’t feel right,” Kersten said. From there, other factors can be used to determine whether a bill is counterfeit.

8. The Watermark
The watermark is the shadow of the portrait that appears when you hold the bill up to light. “That is one of the easiest ways for the common citizen to identify counterfeit versus genuine,” DeSantis said. Periodically, there are people who attempt to recreate the watermark, he added, but it tends to be of very poor quality. The people who do try to imitate the watermark use bleaching, Kersten said. People at stores usually only care that there is a watermark within the bill, he noted, but the watermark portrait must actually match the printed portrait to be genuine.

JamesNorth101 05-02-2013 10:02 AM

Very interesting. I have heard that the 10,000 Tenge note in Kazakhstan is pretty much impossible to forge.

MM78 05-02-2013 10:05 AM

Funny thing is, About this time last year I received a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ $100 bill but it was a North Korean Super Note, the bill was flawless...except in the Serial Number.

rsot 05-02-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 445844)
Very interesting. I have heard that the 10,000 Tenge note in Kazakhstan is pretty much impossible to forge.

We all know how popular that note is...

JamesNorth101 05-02-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 445852)
We all know how popular that note is...

Lol, yes I know, I hear it will be replacing the USD as the international standard...

Ebayorbust 05-02-2013 02:15 PM

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

GreenBean 05-02-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 445844)

If you have the right plates it is not.

:spy:

Sandy D 05-02-2013 07:43 PM

Awesome info.

Gamefreak 05-02-2013 09:31 PM

Everything f@ke is usually blurry.. When I first saw this on yahoo I could pick out the f@ke a mile away after dealing with many f@kes

MM78 05-02-2013 09:54 PM

Ever get a North Korean Super Note?

Sandy D 05-02-2013 10:21 PM

Most stores now have those scanners instead of using the pens.

Whoever jumped on those made some big bucks for sure.

rsot 05-03-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamefreak (Post 445944)
Everything f@ke is usually blurry.. When I first saw this on yahoo I could pick out the f@ke a mile away after dealing with many f@kes

You'd be surprised by the some of the high quality replicas of older bills still moving around - `you saw this on yahoo' - some of the real paper in hand looks pretty decent

astralman 05-08-2013 02:51 AM

Who deals with counterfiet money? I never had an issue with this. Always get my money from banks not street banks.

rsot 05-08-2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBean™ (Post 445917)
If you have the right plates it is not.

:spy:

More details of GB`s operations slowly come out.... :eek:

GreenBean 05-08-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astralman (Post 447406)
Who deals with counterfiet money? I never had an issue with this. Always get my money from banks not street banks.

What are you talking about, Willis?

ebay is the source.

:juggle:

x4

rsot 05-08-2013 12:37 PM

Astralman and his out of the world interpretations.

Sandy D 05-08-2013 02:16 PM

How did we go from how to spot counterfeit money to everything else?

The first pen that everyone used to swipe the bill is now being pushed aside for those scanners I see in many places.

If you dont have a pen and do any type of money exchange get a pen.

rsot 05-09-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy D (Post 447516)
How did we go from how to spot counterfeit money to everything else?

About the time the elegant Kazakhstani bill was discussed.

astralman 05-09-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBean™ (Post 447435)
What are you talking about, Willis?

ebay is the source.

:juggle:

x4

I dont see any bills for sale on ebay other then collectible 2 dollar bills and some other bills.

GreenBean 05-09-2013 07:39 PM

Too precious, too, too precious.

:cheer:

jamblix 05-09-2013 10:24 PM

I've come across my share of ⊗⊗⊗⊗ bills, you can usually tell by the feel and color. An acquaintance in high school was in a triad gang making the bills and I got to hold $6000 of ⊗⊗⊗⊗ $100s. I was easily able to tell the difference in feel and the color was faded. They were not crisp bills either they all felt like they had been doused in water and thrown in a drying machine or something and they were also crumpled.

rsot 05-10-2013 06:22 AM

And the funny part is that your acquaintance in high school now works in the US Federal Reserve...