eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Self Improvement Thread? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/60830-self-improvement-thread.html)

LoopHole 06-06-2013 10:59 PM

Self Improvement Thread?

A friend of mine who suffered from depression for a long time has finally tamed the beast. Found it kind of funny that a person who never came out the house, had suicide thoughts and actually tried it once is now the one giving me advice on how to live a better life.

He's been suffering from it for years, finally got to see him for the first time in years. Literally a new person. Talked for a while and he brought out so many new aspects of life that i never thought to bring out to use and improve my life. It was really mind boggling how much truth his words had how much impact they had on me. Got me really interested in this self improvement thing and psychology.

Share anything you guys read that improved or changed your life for the better. Definitely could use some motivational stuff. Reading a book called "The power of now". Not sure if its good or not yet.

By the way if anyone is curious how he overcame his depression it was by studying psychology.

GreenBean 06-07-2013 05:18 AM

Many people tame the Black Dog by a study of psychology.

Like your thread title, it can come down to whatever steps get taken for self improvement.

aspkin 06-07-2013 07:54 AM

I cured my ADHD by giving up sugar and gluten.. or rather switching to a Paleo diet.

Not sure if that counts but there you go.. :rolleyes:

hardybents 06-07-2013 08:00 AM

sex helps me self improve and cure my depression.
Reading wise.... 4 hour work week Tim Ferriss is great.

GreenBean 06-07-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardybents (Post 456110)
sex helps me self improve and cure my depression.
Reading wise.... 4 hour work week Tim Ferriss is great.

Proven fact that.

( and decide which one counts most)

:pound:

rsot 06-07-2013 08:49 AM

Nice story OP - I have worked stages with patients suffering from debilitating mental illness and it is sad to see them not being able to get out of the vicious cycle. Definitely hoping for no relapse on your story.

Sandy D 06-07-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspkin (Post 456109)
I cured my ADHD by giving up sugar and gluten.. or rather switching to a Paleo diet.

Not sure if that counts but there you go.. :rolleyes:

Wow. I just never could imagine a person with your skills and knowledge having ADHD.

Being hyperactive and not being able to concentrate would be hard for someone in the fields you specialize at.

Good for you that you figured out how without going to see a Doctor because anymore most of them are quacks who just want to toss out pills for everything.

slim jim 06-07-2013 11:47 PM

I read a book long ago called something along the lines of "you are a spiritual being having a human experience". Some of it was rubbish but you can take some very interesting points from it.
"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on."
Make sure not to treat a bad situation with alcohol or drugs, they are only to be used to make a good situation better. They can also make a bad situation worse

rsot 06-08-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy D (Post 456338)
Wo
Good for you that you figured out how without going to see a Doctor because anymore most of them are quacks who just want to toss out pills for everything.

Am not a fan of pills for everything either - too much chemicals going around

GreenBean 06-08-2013 09:00 AM

Terry Fox & the Foundation - Facts

There was someone who never gave up.

jamcocktail21 06-08-2013 03:21 PM

LOOPHOLE find this book ''Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill'' awesome book

The power of now is a great book as well

Iwuvcurrency 06-08-2013 03:29 PM

Interesting Thread.. Great to hear someone over come Depression, as its alot more serious then people realize. My kid's father committed suicide this year, and was very depressed. Not really sure why, but wish he would have gotten the right help like your friend did.

Sandy D 06-08-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwuvcurrency (Post 456560)
Interesting Thread.. Great to hear someone over come Depression, as its alot more serious then people realize. My kid's father committed suicide this year, and was very depressed. Not really sure why, but wish he would have gotten the right help like your friend did.

Sorry. This is sad.

So many depressed people anymore.

Wonder if our parents generations were as depressed as todays generations of 20-30-40s. Heck even kids are depressed these days.

Never heard the word depression or knew what it really meant until I was in my 30's. Now in my early 40's that is all I hear about.

Something has changed.

GreenBean 06-08-2013 06:45 PM

Depression had different names according to different times.

Dont forget it was not openly spoken about and excuses were made for people suffering from depression.

A stigma was attached to any person suffering from such disorders.

With the internet, it has opened up better chances for people to be diagnosed, treated and given dignity back in their life.

rsot 06-08-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBean™ (Post 456464)
Terry Fox & the Foundation - Facts

There was someone who never gave up.

While Terry Fox is indeed a noble individual and overcame hardships in his quest for martyrdom (eventually), just to clarify, he was not suffering from known mental health - still a worthy endeavour but just a bit astray from the topic bosslady though very big feat for cancer

GreenBean 06-08-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoopHole (Post 456018)

Share anything you guys read that improved or changed your life for the better.

Read the bold type.

I read the life of Terry Fox when I was in a dark place called depression.

He gave me hope.

So stop your pettiness and shot taking .

GTB 06-08-2013 08:11 PM

glad to hear you got past it GB

its not a nice place to be

GreenBean 06-08-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 456623)
glad to hear you got past it GB

its not a nice place to be

Bless x!

A battle each day.

GTB 06-08-2013 08:26 PM

aye, a battle you are winning, and will always win coz your "The Beanster" :thumb:

coolandcalm 06-09-2013 08:57 AM

oh wow, I'm loving this thread. Actually there are to many pills being handed out in the medical profession. When my mom passed I went on medication and being a psychology major I had major concerns. I stopped after a month because I needed to find a natural method to help. To think of a life of dependency on medication to make me happy, made me even more depressed.

jamcocktail21 06-09-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolandcalm (Post 456722)
oh wow, I'm loving this thread. Actually there are to many pills being handed out in the medical profession. When my mom passed I went on medication and being a psychology major I had major concerns. I stopped after a month because I needed to find a natural method to help. To think of a life of dependency on medication to make me happy, made me even more depressed.

Yep pills will make you more depressed.Never ever take them because will block your mind.Try different natural cure healing like: meditation,sport,organic food and so on....

rsot 06-09-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamcocktail21 (Post 456730)
Yep pills will make you more depressed.Never ever take them because will block your mind.Try different natural cure healing like: meditation,sport,organic food and so on....

Am not a fan of these pills being prescribed for long periods...these are mind-altering drugs but there are those who are so deep in that they do need the boost - but for long periods...it`s rough. I like the alternative suggested by jamcocktail21