eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   NSA Prism Surveillance Program (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/60871-nsa-prism-surveillance-program.html)

mercurial333 06-08-2013 03:54 AM

NSA Prism Surveillance Program

Lots of fuss about this in the press in the last few days.

Personally sort of figured this was going on, just wasn't sure if it was handled in real time. I would say it's well confirmed now.

Quote:

NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily
NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily | World news | The Guardian

Quote:

NSA Prism program taps in to user data of Apple, Google and others
NSA Prism program taps in to user data of Apple, Google and others | World news | The Guardian

rsot 06-08-2013 06:25 AM

True mercurial333 - all up in the radio and tv news here too for past few days

Dmshark25 06-08-2013 06:52 AM

Wow so where all under surveillance and the people we talk to and our location

mercurial333 06-08-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmshark25 (Post 456421)
Wow so where all under surveillance and the people we talk to and our location

Storage is cheap nowadays :)

* we're

MM78 06-08-2013 04:31 PM

Time to get your Tin Foil Hats people!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YRHDomoLb-...n_foil_hat.jpg

Or you can buy them from for $19.99, for an extra $5.00 I can get you the satellite dish adapter!

Gamefreak 06-08-2013 04:50 PM

with all the info ppl post online and how many hours ppl stay online, if you didnt have a clue this was happening then you must live under a rock.

slim jim 06-10-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamefreak (Post 456571)
with all the info ppl post online and how many hours ppl stay online, if you didnt have a clue this was happening then you must live under a rock.

Exactly. Its amazing it takes a printed article to state the obvious

jeffweico 06-10-2013 11:54 AM

I don't think anyone has to worry- They can have all sorts of data but given the volume, unless they are going to hire a million people to start digging, they will have to be very selective about whom they pursue.

Having said that, if I were going to do anything illegal, I certainly wouldn't send an email about it or talk about it on the phone...

Sandy D 06-10-2013 01:42 PM

Just more unlawful invasion of our privacy and destroying our constitutional rights.

LoopHole 06-10-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy D (Post 457106)
Just more unlawful invasion of our privacy and destroying our constitutional rights.

Yup very much so. Looks like the terrorists haven't destroyed America but sure as hell are destroying out freedom.

I have a feeling there is a lot more constitution destroying in the future.

LoopHole 06-10-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamefreak (Post 456571)

I'm sure it did, but not at this level. They literally want to see everything now.

jeffweico 06-10-2013 08:53 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT in favor of this, nor do I understand why people are just accepting it. But I have been, for the last several years, going under the assumption that privacy is dead.

Your cell phone, if it is a smart phone, generates a record of your phone's location (and therefore YOUR location) and these records are kept by the phone company.

Every time you buy something with a credit card or one of those loyalty cards, someone has a record of everything you purchased.

Experts have been warning for years that email is NOT private, and in fact can be found easily, even after you have deleted the copy in your inbox.

Cameras are everywhere and facial recognition software is powerful and cheap.

Satellites and drones exist that can probably see the pimple on my a**, right through my clothing. OK, that is probably an exaggeration, but not by much.

People post their job information on LinkedIn and their kids names and activities on FaceBook.

I can, in many areas, see a picture of your house on Google as long as I have your address. Digging a bit further, I can find out who the owner of that address is, how much they paid for it, when they purchased it and any mortgages or liens on the property.

So, what privacy is left? This is something that has been building up for YEARS, it is not something that just happened a few days ago.

Sandy D 06-10-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffweico (Post 457233)
Don't get me wrong, I am NOT in favor of this, nor do I understand why people are just accepting it. But I have been, for the last several years, going under the assumption that privacy is dead.

Your cell phone, if it is a smart phone, generates a record of your phone's location (and therefore YOUR location) and these records are kept by the phone company.

Every time you buy something with a credit card or one of those loyalty cards, someone has a record of everything you purchased.

Experts have been warning for years that email is NOT private, and in fact can be found easily, even after you have deleted the copy in your inbox.

Cameras are everywhere and facial recognition software is powerful and cheap.

Satellites and drones exist that can probably see the pimple on my a**, right through my clothing. OK, that is probably an exaggeration, but not by much.

People post their job information on LinkedIn and their kids names and activities on FaceBook.

I can, in many areas, see a picture of your house on Google as long as I have your address. Digging a bit further, I can find out who the owner of that address is, how much they paid for it, when they purchased it and any mortgages or liens on the property.

So, what privacy is left? This is something that has been building up for YEARS, it is not something that just happened a few days ago.

Agree, we have no privacy left and with this gang running things it will be much worse then ever before.

They believe they have to right to know anything and everything about you.

Wait until Obamacare fully kicks in, your pimple will be known to millions of government workers who have access to private medical data now.

Hey, I look at as if those who wanted this voted for this kinda of sneaky behind the back crap then let them get what they deserve.

astralman 06-11-2013 02:10 AM

Well history repeats itself always on this planet and looking at how it all is unfolding again not much hope for all of us just enjoy the rest of our supposed free days. Everything cant last forever in this world.

rsot 06-11-2013 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astralman (Post 457288)
Well history repeats itself always on this planet and looking at how it all is unfolding again not much hope for all of us just enjoy the rest of our supposed free days. Everything cant last forever in this world.

Hope you are ok astralman - that doesnt quite go with the thread...all doomy and gloomy - feel better :)

mercurial333 06-11-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 457310)
Hope you are ok astralman - that doesnt quite go with the thread...all doomy and gloomy - feel better :)

He is most likely referring to the Stasi.

Goes quiet well, I'd say xD

vogeltron 06-16-2013 03:49 AM

Just proves it doesn't really matter which of the two political parties are in power in the United States. When it comes to individual freedom and Big Brother spying on its law abiding citizens they are essentially the same.

golden_monkey 06-23-2013 10:11 PM

jeffweico 06-23-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vogeltron (Post 459008)
Just proves it doesn't really matter which of the two political parties are in power in the United States. When it comes to individual freedom and Big Brother spying on its law abiding citizens they are essentially the same.

Exactly. The program in question started under Bush, expanded under Obama and will probably continue and expand under the next president, regardless of their political party. I'm sure there are other programs going back even further that we may not even know about.

Remember, the only reason we know about this is because someone who knew about it thought it was wrong and decided to blow the whistle, risking his freedom and maybe even his life. How many people are willing to do that? Very few. This may be the tip of the iceberg.