eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   What an ironic but tragic way to go... (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/67658-what-ironic-but-tragic-way-go.html)

rsot 12-08-2013 09:21 AM

Re: What an ironic but tragic way to go...

Those were the days hah

As a side note, there was some tuner car vigil few days back for Walker fyi

Sandy D 12-08-2013 06:42 PM

Sad when someone dies like this at such a young age.

vogeltron 12-15-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 509727)
Those were the days hah

As a side note, there was some tuner car vigil few days back for Walker fyi

I saw the story about Walker anonymously buying a engagement ring for a service member that could not afford it about 10 years ago. Thought that a was pretty cool story that came out.

I found this story cool. Because here in California with the warmer weather seems like every time you stop at a gas station or a fast food restaurant or a public place you have a bum trying to hit you up for money. I am sure in other parts of the country these people would either freeze to death in the winter or or die of heat stroke in the summer in most areas. The few I do my best to help out or the war vets especially the Vietnam ones that are still hanging around.

I do have to say it isn't just the money the guy threw down for helping these people out who weren't asking for anything. It was the fact that the guy wanted to remain anonymous. Obviously you can't judge a person simply by one act but it makes you think his heart was in the right place.

Paul Walker's anonymous engagement ring gift: Couple finds out nearly 10 years later - NY Daily News

rsot 12-15-2013 06:51 AM

Fast and Furious 7 was apparently delayed

Sandy D 12-16-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vogeltron (Post 511624)
I saw the story about Walker anonymously buying a engagement ring for a service member that could not afford it about 10 years ago. Thought that a was pretty cool story that came out.

I found this story cool. Because here in California with the warmer weather seems like every time you stop at a gas station or a fast food restaurant or a public place you have a bum trying to hit you up for money. I am sure in other parts of the country these people would either freeze to death in the winter or or die of heat stroke in the summer in most areas. The few I do my best to help out or the war vets especially the Vietnam ones that are still hanging around.

I do have to say it isn't just the money the guy threw down for helping these people out who weren't asking for anything. It was the fact that the guy wanted to remain anonymous. Obviously you can't judge a person simply by one act but it makes you think his heart was in the right place.

Paul Walker's anonymous engagement ring gift: Couple finds out nearly 10 years later - NY Daily News

In Florida we have panhandlers in many places because many move here with little to no money and no job and end up begging on the streets.

Sad to see it when there are so many well off people here.

Mom with 2 kids sitting in the hot sun outside of wal mart and is there 3-4 days a week with her kids which is a shame. Sign says homeless, no job, kids hungry.

Hubby said we need to help feed her kids so we go back to wal mart and buy items for the kids they can eat without having to heat them up like lunchables etc. We dropped them off and the kids eyes light up which is precious.

Many stars I think help people but dont want to be known.

For the couple to find out 10 years later is amazing.

I read an article once that Tom Hanks has paid off several homes for people who were about to lose them.

rsot 12-16-2013 01:10 PM

Don't forget Oprah :thumb:

Sandy D 12-17-2013 02:34 AM

I pulled up a list of givers who are celebrities and I was shocked at some of them who gave millions and of course those cheapos who did not give much or anything at all.

rsot 12-17-2013 05:15 AM

Quite a few cheapos too - just sitting on mad cash, agreed

Sandy D 12-18-2013 04:45 PM

Many athletes make multi millions a year and dont give a penny to help anyone in need. Ridiculous.

rsot 12-19-2013 05:42 AM

And blow it all on gambling...

vogeltron 12-19-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy D (Post 512572)
Many athletes make multi millions a year and dont give a penny to help anyone in need. Ridiculous.

Many Athletes who make millions also go broke as soon as they retire. Chris McAllister who got a $50 million contract comes to mind. But none the less I am not one to judge who gives a nickle to anyone in need. Some of the most influential people I have ever met. Refuse to give a dime, they think it just feeds peoples addictions and postpones their need to make the tough decisions to make a real change in their lives.

Maybe because of my background. I think people who write a check are a bunch of cop outs. Especially rich people who don't want to do the dirty work. The real people give their time and their effort and those who are more adapt to share their experiences and their past to help these people make a change. Writing a check changes nothing especially those who have no desire to change. Getting out and talking to people trying to understand them and going from there. That is what matters.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. - Chinese Proverb

Sandy D 12-19-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vogeltron (Post 512684)
Many Athletes who make millions also go broke as soon as they retire. Chris McAllister who got a $50 million contract comes to mind. But none the less I am not one to judge who gives a nickle to anyone in need. Some of the most influential people I have ever met. Refuse to give a dime, they think it just feeds peoples addictions and postpones their need to make the tough decisions to make a real change in their lives.

Maybe because of my background. I think people who write a check are a bunch of cop outs. Especially rich people who don't want to do the dirty work. The real people give their time and their effort and those who are more adapt to share their experiences and their past to help these people make a change. Writing a check changes nothing especially those who have no desire to change. Getting out and talking to people trying to understand them and going from there. That is what matters.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. - Chinese Proverb

Really odd story but the Miami Hurricanes football teams of the 90s prove how mentally people who have not been raised properly or been showed the way can end up a disaster.

Never liked their football teams and never will but they had some very good teams under Jimmy Johnson and lots of NFL players.

I read that over 20 of them coached by Jimmy Johnson alone signed huge NFL contracts and 15 of them are now broke, filed bankruptcy, foreclosed on their homes etc.

Is it Evander Holyfield who has been broke several times, has a dozen kids etc.

Amazed at how these people cannot take a goof fortune of a gift they have and do things right.

Then I was told a story about a neighbor and close friend of my parents who never made big bucks in his life but always did right with his money. Never did without and most he ever made was 30k in a year. When he passed a few years back he had assets over 1 million dollars and no one, even the kids knew it. All on less then 30k a year.

rsot 12-19-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy D (Post 512734)
Then I was told a story about a neighbor and close friend of my parents who never made big bucks in his life but always did right with his money. Never did without and most he ever made was 30k in a year. When he passed a few years back he had assets over 1 million dollars and no one, even the kids knew it. All on less then 30k a year.

Quite a few stories of this around.

Up here - one guy won a lotto win of $40 million and he has been giving it all away to hospitals and charities on account of he has his own reno business and is retired now but has done well with his business so...he doesnt need the money.