eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Browser Fingerprinting (Canvas) (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/75532-browser-fingerprinting-canvas.html)

aspkin 07-21-2014 11:49 PM

Browser Fingerprinting (Canvas)

An interesting read on Browser Fingerprinting.. I don't think it's a threat to stealth (you guys are too smart for that) but it's a good read: Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block - ProPublica

glacier922 07-22-2014 03:55 AM

List of sites that do online fingerprinting

Apparently, ebay and amazon doesn't do it, at least from this list.

Here is the list: https://securehomes.esat.kuleuven.be...cky/index.html

And also, it isn't just about the metadata on your browser and screen settings. The website actually asks your browser to draw a picture which you of course don't see, and from there, it will have a unique types of data that can be extracted from.

Here is more on the story:

http://rt.com/usa/174552-digital-fin...ossible-block/

Dmshark25 07-22-2014 04:48 AM

Re: Browser Fingerprinting (Canvas)

Do you think eBay will start using this anytime soon?

bumschalafee 07-22-2014 05:59 AM

i hope not, but i think it's only a matter of time.

philippgeorg 07-23-2014 06:04 AM

Quote:

Do you think eBay will start using this anytime soon?

eBay uses any tracking method that is available and affordable.

Most of us will NOT use different netbooks for each account.

Every day thousands of scammers try to open eBay accounts.

If there is any new method to lock out the cheaters, they will implement.

rsot 07-23-2014 06:32 AM

Stealth methods will need tweaking if this occurs but concepts will live on

xShevaa7x 07-23-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 569729)
Stealth methods will need tweaking if this occurs but concepts will live on

Indeed, but from what I read from the article is that this idea will not take off. It's not as accurate as current methods:

"AddThis said it rolled out the feature to a small portion of the 13 million websites on which its technology appears, but is considering ending its test soon. “It’s not uniquely identifying enough,” Harris said."

I would guess this means that they will give up as it will cost them money, and no one will want to invest or fund a worse option.

However, interesting read. It looks like it's not problem for stealth for many years at least, and I think this idea will die off due to lack of funds. No one will fund an idea worse than current technologies.

oompaloompa 07-23-2014 08:53 AM

there are ways to spoof your settings anyway...

aspkin 07-23-2014 11:01 PM

How to disable canvas fingerprinting with Adblock Plus | BGR

I wouldn't worry about it.. I just pointed it out because I thought it was interesting. I'm a geek like that. If you are concerned, Ad Block Plus has your back.

rsot 07-24-2014 03:19 AM

I was thinking AdBlock Plus was malware...sigh

skinnyhardaway 07-24-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspkin (Post 570048)
How to disable canvas fingerprinting with Adblock Plus | BGR

I wouldn't worry about it.. I just pointed it out because I thought it was interesting. I'm a geek like that. If you are concerned, Ad Block Plus has your back.

I haven't heard too many good things about ad block?

animekings99 07-24-2014 12:08 PM

use your nose ;]

aspkin 07-24-2014 01:12 PM

AdBlock Plus is amazing... I wouldn't use the Internet any other way...

https://adblockplus.org/

rsot 07-25-2014 02:38 AM

You gave it the thumbs up bigboss - am going to implement it right away hah

muzzie 08-12-2016 06:13 PM

Also a decent plugin for FireFox to block it:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ingerprinting/

RR2 08-12-2016 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzzie (Post 792284)
Also a decent plugin for FireFox to block it:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ingerprinting/

I also use this plugin for my stealth accounts.

tingv001 08-12-2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RR2 (Post 792285)
I also use this plugin for my stealth accounts.

Does this block the Canvas request or create a new one? The browser I bought allows me to choose a unique static Canvas also lets me choose what plugins I want spoofed as well as pretty much everything else you can think of.

nate 08-12-2016 08:35 PM

Will adblocker plus effect the cookies that paypal and ebay leave to identify your computer so you will constantly have to verify its you?

Which settings do you enable?

? Enabled Adblock Warning Removal List
× Enabled EasyList Last
× Enabled EasyPrivacy
× Enabled Fanboy's Social Blocking List
× Enabled Malware Domains

NigelLikesCheesecake 08-13-2016 01:23 PM

A lot of these add ons are more trouble than they're worth because websites can see that you're using them which makes you stand out even more.
Imagine you're in a room with five people one of whom is wearing a ski mask, You can't see his face, But, He sticks out like a sore thumb

nate 08-13-2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspkin (Post 570258)
AdBlock Plus is amazing... I wouldn't use the Internet any other way...

https://adblockplus.org/

But do you use it with your stealth accounts? And if you do... all or just some?

MLADen 08-14-2016 05:11 AM

I work in the company, which developed Canvas Defender add-on, so can answer some questions here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tingv001 (Post 792293)
Does this block the Canvas request or create a new one? The browser I bought allows me to choose a unique static Canvas also lets me choose what plugins I want spoofed as well as pretty much everything else you can think of.

Canvas Defender doesn't block Canvas request. It creates 'noise', which masks you real canvas fingerprint. Nothing happens on websites, which don't try to read canvas function output. Howeer, if some website tries to do that, Canvas Defender feeds it a modified version of the fingerprint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NigelLikesCheesecake (Post 792434)
A lot of these add ons are more trouble than they're worth because websites can see that you're using them which makes you stand out even more.
Imagine you're in a room with five people one of whom is wearing a ski mask, You can't see his face, But, He sticks out like a sore thumb

This is exactly the problem SOLVED by Canvas Defender.

JavierAlonsoMartin 08-14-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLADen (Post 792548)
I work in the company, which developed Canvas Defender add-on, so can answer some questions here.

Canvas Defender doesn't block Canvas request. It creates 'noise', which masks you real canvas fingerprint. Nothing happens on websites, which don't try to read canvas function output. Howeer, if some website tries to do that, Canvas Defender feeds it a modified version of the fingerprint.

This is exactly the problem SOLVED by Canvas Defender.

Would you say canvas defender is the only thing needed to stop canvas fingerprint tracking in case eB/PP implements it?

tingv001 08-14-2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLADen (Post 792548)

This would be a red flag then. The browser that I use allows me to change the Canvas fingerprint to a static unique one, so every browser would show a fingerprint, but it's own, which is what you want.

If yours feeds a "modified" version which would defeat the purpose and set a huge red flag. It would be like "WTF... this guys fingerprint changes every time he accesses the site? Riiiiiiiight".

By having a static set canvas and browser fingerprint you're saying, hey it's me, the same guy, and my other accounts? What other accounts? They're unique and static too" - which is what you want; smashcut - you want static browser fingerprint, not dynamic.

Play 08-14-2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavierAlonsoMartin (Post 792642)
Would you say canvas defender is the only thing needed to stop canvas fingerprint tracking in case eB/PP implements it?

Nice question.

I would say Canvas Defender + WebRTC Leak Prevent + ... anyone else can think of anything to add?

Incase you didn't know, WebRTC leaks your actual IP addresses from behind your VPN, by default.

P.S. tingv001 does make an interesting point.

JavierAlonsoMartin 08-15-2016 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Play (Post 792666)
Nice question.

I would say Canvas Defender + WebRTC Leak Prevent + ... anyone else can think of anything to add?

Incase you didn't know, WebRTC leaks your actual IP addresses from behind your VPN, by default.

Interesting, I did not know anything about WebRTC before, thanks for the share.

I also change useragents for every account, since I use firefox for all of them. This can be done by going to about:config in your browser, then adding a "general.useragent.override" entry and as a value putting random useragent (just google popular user agents).

I am not sure eBay / PP track them but they might as well do so if they aren't doing it now.

Also Mozilla has something called prefetching where it loads data from the links behind the scenes. For example read this one aspect of Firefox:

Quote:

To improve the loading speed, Firefox will open predictive connections to sites when the user hovers their mouse over thumbnails on the New Tab Page or the user starts to search in the Search Bar, or in the search field on the Home or the New Tab Page. In case the user follows through with the action, the page can begin loading faster since some of the work was already started in advance.
I figured it's best to disable this too. Here's a guide on how to do it: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ic-connections

JavierAlonsoMartin 08-15-2016 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tingv001 (Post 792662)
This would be a red flag then. The browser that I use allows me to change the Canvas fingerprint to a static unique one, so every browser would show a fingerprint, but it's own, which is what you want.

If yours feeds a "modified" version which would defeat the purpose and set a huge red flag. It would be like "WTF... this guys fingerprint changes every time he accesses the site? Riiiiiiiight".

By having a static set canvas and browser fingerprint you're saying, hey it's me, the same guy, and my other accounts? What other accounts? They're unique and static too" - which is what you want; smashcut - you want static browser fingerprint, not dynamic.

Hey tingv001,

I just tried Canvas Defender and this is exactly what it does.

It gives you a unique noise and unique canvas fingerprint per browser. This noise & fingerprint remains static even if you restart the browser.

If you want to change your fingerprint, you go to the plugin, and generate a new noise. Then the noise & fingerprint change, and again, they remain static unless you press the generate new noise button.

Seems like a really useful plugin.

MLADen 08-15-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tingv001 (Post 792662)

I see that ideas from "How Canvas Fingerprint Blockers Make You Easily Trackable" article shine through your words. Don't really have to explain them to me :)

Of course, you want to have a different canvas fingerprint in every browser session. It's up to you however how you implement sessions. There are many ways like virtual boxes, portable browsers, different browsers, Multiloginapp.

Canvas Defender doesn't make your fingerprint dynamic. It does exactly what you need: static fingerprint, which masks your real fingerprint.

MLADen 08-15-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavierAlonsoMartin (Post 792642)

Currently yes.

I should note here that there are ways to circumvent browser add-ons like Canvas Defender. As far as I am aware, Amazon and Ebay are not using them. PayPal does. So Canvas Defender wouldn't save you from being fingerprinted by Canvas function readout if PayPal decided to employ this technique.

As of now I don't know any free solutions that could or would work with PayPal.

Quote:

Nice question.

Flash plugin is also critical and should be disabled. It leaks enormous amount of data.

Besides that, everything depends on how advanced website protection system is. All vanilla browsers leak tons of information. The question is what websites actually analyze it and how.

NigelLikesCheesecake 08-15-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

I think WebRTC leaks your DNS, But, I don't think this the case with all browsers, Chrome browser certainly leaks but I think you should be ok with Firefox, Best place to test it whoer.net

JavierAlonsoMartin 08-15-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLADen (Post 792742)
Currently yes.

I should note here that there are ways to circumvent browser add-ons like Canvas Defender. As far as I am aware, Amazon and Ebay are not using them. PayPal does. So Canvas Defender wouldn't save you from being fingerprinted by Canvas function readout if PayPal decided to employ this technique.

As of now I don't know any free solutions that could or would work with PayPal.

Interesting, and how can PayPal do this?

MLADen 08-15-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavierAlonsoMartin (Post 792760)
Interesting, and how can PayPal do this?

In short: they prevent browser add-ons from modifying page code.

RR2 08-15-2016 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLADen (Post 792793)
In short: they prevent browser add-ons from modifying page code.

Really? I did not know that. Do you have more info on this topic?

tingv001 08-15-2016 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLADen (Post 792741)
I see that ideas from "How Canvas Fingerprint Blockers Make You Easily Trackable" article shine through your words. Don't really have to explain them to me :)

Of course, you want to have a different canvas fingerprint in every browser session. It's up to you however how you implement sessions. There are many ways like virtual boxes, portable browsers, different browsers, Multiloginapp.

Canvas Defender doesn't make your fingerprint dynamic. It does exactly what you need: static fingerprint, which masks your real fingerprint.

Thanks for the read, never seen that but looks pretty decent.

Anyways I was just saying - I do other things that require a ton more stealth than ebay and paypal, I think ebay and paypal for now don't use canvas yet, if they did everyone would have been tagged already.

MLADen 08-16-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RR2 (Post 792795)
Really? I did not know that. Do you have more info on this topic?

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...b/Security/CSP

JavierAlonsoMartin 08-16-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLADen (Post 792960)

What if we disable "security.csp.enable" value in about:config?

Derdo99 08-17-2016 03:29 AM

Guys, you are missing one very very important thing.
WebGL fingerprint.

And canvas defender will not change this value...

feadup 08-17-2016 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derdo99 (Post 793192)
Guys, you are missing one very very important thing.
WebGL fingerprint.

And canvas defender will not change this value...

very true, but easly it can be disabled

Themav 08-18-2016 06:49 AM

This tells you how to remove the WebGL in Firefox and Chrome

JavierAlonsoMartin 08-18-2016 11:39 AM

Guys, don't you find it alarming that PayPal bypassess the canvas fingerprint modifying addons?

I.e. no matter how hard you try to spoof your fingerprints, PayPal will have your authentic canvas fingerprint which is unique and will link you

nate 08-18-2016 11:51 AM

cheap laptop or phone for each account... problem solved... (for most of us)