eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Big warning on a new scam (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/84785-big-warning-new-scam.html)

BigCJ 04-14-2015 06:13 PM

Big warning on a new scam

Just had it on the news last week and it happened to someone in my building today.

Thankfully, the person gave the package to management. They are currently going over the tapes to see who it was.

Basically, you get a package at a door that isn't yours. Someone comes to pick it up saying that it was sent to 'the wrong address'. They say the name on the box, and it seems to check out.

The items are usually expensive items purchased with stolen credit cards.

This may become a problem with some of us who use stealth. Getting many packages per week some of us may not think twice when another person uses a stealth address. But to have the police track the purchase and package could cause unwanted attention. (And no, not just for the foo foos) :rolleyes:

The best advice is to send the package back to the post office, but if you get multiple attempts or someone you do not know asking for 'packages' id say that you should watch your address and stealth activities.

GreenBean 04-14-2015 06:23 PM

Re: Big warning on a new scam

Shudders.

Always a new variation on some scam.

PO Boxes with street address work better. Saves the need to rely on the IQ of strangers. ;)

rsot 04-14-2015 10:27 PM

I also agree completely with po box - I also receive personal packages at work since I am only there to get it. Nothing comes home unless it's registered to me

jeffweico 04-15-2015 12:01 AM

I once had a package delivered to me at a UPS store that was not mine. Since I receive a volume of packages, I didn't even look at the address label, I just opened the box.

Can you GUESS what was inside? I WISH it was just something purchased with a stolen credit card! It was drugs... Heroin, I think, but I cannot be sure.

I turned it over to the police and nobody ever came to claim their package, thank God! But for weeks I was terrified that someone might come looking for it, someone who didn't have any qualms about killing someone over their lost "treasure".

123 04-15-2015 01:49 AM

Very interesting, its always something, thanks for sharing!

Geegee83 04-15-2015 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffweico (Post 659490)
I once had a package delivered to me at a UPS store that was not mine. Since I receive a volume of packages, I didn't even look at the address label, I just opened the box.

Can you GUESS what was inside? I WISH it was just something purchased with a stolen credit card! It was drugs... Heroin, I think, but I cannot be sure.

I turned it over to the police and nobody ever came to claim their package, thank God! But for weeks I was terrified that someone might come looking for it, someone who didn't have any qualms about killing someone over their lost "treasure".

Wow, I would be scared at that too! Crazy!

rsot 04-15-2015 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geegee83 (Post 659521)
Wow, I would be scared at that too! Crazy!

http://www.security-faqs.com/wp-cont...ion-Attack.jpg

:focus:

storas 04-16-2015 04:55 PM

Not that new. I bought some (c u next tuesday) a brand new pair of Sennheiser headphones about 6 years ago. Came under difrent name, so refused it at the door. But , they collected it from the depot. Latter I found out that my card was charged, was I mad.

Speeder33 04-17-2015 04:05 AM

Will have to watch out for this one. I don't think twice about a package in a different name being delivered to my house. Thanks for the heads up!

rsot 04-17-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by storas (Post 659984)
Not that new. I bought some (c u next tuesday) a brand new pair of Sennheiser headphones about 6 years ago. Came under difrent name, so refused it at the door. But , they collected it from the depot. Latter I found out that my card was charged, was I mad.

That's crazy - ⊗⊗⊗⊗ charge...fraud - horrible.

Sennheiser is quality though.

ilcarletto 04-17-2015 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 660239)

;)

http://cdn3.staztic.com/content-asse...9a5f6db20.jpeg

rsot 04-17-2015 02:23 PM

No knock-offs for the squad - quality only.

storas 04-17-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 660239)
That's crazy - ⊗⊗⊗⊗ charge...fraud - horrible.

£289.99 . But they used my credit card, so got the money back. Yeah, scary stuff. They took out a phone in my name too. If it wasn't for the phone bill through the door I would have probably not known.

oompaloompa 04-18-2015 01:36 PM

this is similar to the iphone one, a phone contract is taken our in your details and is delivered to you, all in your details and you sign for it. scammer then calls you (not sure how they get your number, public records maybe) and say some mistake and send an innocent cab driver to pick it up...or something like that.... they then have a phone.....

re OP described scam, not sure why the advice would be to send back to post office, if in different name, I would accept it so i could see what it was and keep it, then I would either keep it for myself or keep it in case I get billed for it, either way, it is staying with me.....unless it was drugs/really illegal.......that is even scarier as you could be in trouble for reporting it.....

BigCJ 04-18-2015 03:00 PM

Quote:

re OP described scam, not sure why the advice would be to send back to post office, if in different name, I would accept it so i could see what it was and keep it, then I would either keep it for myself or keep it in case I get billed for it, either way, it is staying with me.....unless it was drugs/really illegal.......that is even scarier as you could be in trouble for reporting it.....
The police are starting to trace the packages that are purchased in hopes of catching the person(s) responsible :thumb:

Being that it is becoming more rampant, the police have been asked to step in.

And the scammers are not purchasing it with your info, they are buying CC numbers in bulk then basically doing a 'hit or miss' with deliveries. They usually send it as a gift to a random person in hopes of picking the package up and keeping the items.

rsot 04-19-2015 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCJ (Post 660558)
The police are starting to trace the packages that are purchased in hopes of catching the person(s) responsible :thumb:

Being that it is becoming more rampant, the police have been asked to step in.

And the scammers are not purchasing it with your info, they are buying CC numbers in bulk then basically doing a 'hit or miss' with deliveries. They usually send it as a gift to a random person in hopes of picking the package up and keeping the items.

As opposed to just printing/producing the CC and cashing out

GreenBean 04-19-2015 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCJ (Post 660558)

They would need to be proactive to stop a greater spread.

:)