eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Deleting/Recovering (Selling) iPhone (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/96176-deleting-recovering-selling-iphone.html)

Play 05-07-2016 05:23 PM

Deleting/Recovering (Selling) iPhone

Basically, want to sell an iPhone.

Came across an article that data can easily be recovered even if you do a factory reset (as apparently its like a quick format).

Warning: iPhone "Restore" does not delete personal data - CNET

Any idea how I can permanently delete the files to remove sensitive personal data before selling it on?

empirestate 05-07-2016 05:35 PM

Re: Deleting/Recovering (Selling) iPhone

the only safest way to for data to be unrecoverable is to shred the device into pieces and burn it and spread ashes across different continents and ship it into the vastness of space.

Gamefreak 05-07-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Play (Post 769416)
Basically, want to sell an iPhone.

Came across an article that data can easily be recovered even if you do a factory reset (as apparently its like a quick format).

Warning: iPhone "Restore" does not delete personal data - CNET

Any idea how I can permanently delete the files to remove sensitive personal data before selling it on?

is there even such a thing anymore... the possibility of the next person buying it for your personal data is next to none.

empirestate 05-07-2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamefreak (Post 769421)
is there even such a thing anymore... the possibility of the next person buying it for your personal data is next to none.

Totally agree, your personal information ain't worth a penny for a person to go through recovering your data... bwahahah

empirestate 05-07-2016 05:45 PM

Play 05-07-2016 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empirestate (Post 769418)
the only safest way to for data to be unrecoverable is to shred the device into pieces and burn it and spread ashes across different continents and ship it into the vastness of space.

Would rather go as far as to retain its economical value :p

Read your articles, seems like what everyone else it pretty much doing at the moment. Nice read, thanks.

Play 05-07-2016 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamefreak (Post 769421)

Was being safe than sorry. Though nice to know nobody does such.

rsot 05-07-2016 07:50 PM

I should get into the habit of selling any tech I have before it becomes outdated...I usually just run anything into the ground hah

:focus:

Play 05-08-2016 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 769470)
I should get into the habit of selling any tech I have before it becomes outdated...I usually just run anything into the ground hah

:focus:

You could always wait for it to become an antique, that way the value would end up going up.

:ranger:

aspkin 05-15-2016 01:07 PM

Lol, I have shred hard drives. And kept on to 10 year old phones instead of selling them because I know how easy someone can rip your data.

My niece's can't touch them either.. not after the hoard of kid app downloads.

rsot 05-16-2016 01:46 AM

How'd the sale go Play?

Play 05-16-2016 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 771709)
How'd the sale go Play?

Sale went smooth, thanks for asking. I didn't go the extra mile to delete files as I didn't have any sensitive files on the phone. Disappointing to know such software doesn't exist to erase/overwrite files. I mean we do have it for computers, but just not mobile phones I guess.

rsot 05-16-2016 06:28 AM

Nice to hear Play - smooth sale and iPhone in the same sentence is nice to hear indeed.

GreenBean 05-16-2016 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Play (Post 771733)
Sale went smooth, thanks for asking. I didn't go the extra mile to delete files as I didn't have any sensitive files on the phone. Disappointing to know such software doesn't exist to erase/overwrite files. I mean we do have it for computers, but just not mobile phones I guess.

Clue there is iphone.

Apple do not wish to give away too much of their power.

:bird:

Play 05-16-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBean (Post 771746)
Clue there is iphone.

Apple do not wish to give away too much of their power.

:bird:

Whats worse is having spoken to a senior Apple member of staff, she informed me how they dish out refurbished phones as replacements, now if the storage is not atleast reaplaced with a new one during the refurbishment process, then that could compromise a lot of people's data who are not wary of the deleted file recovery process.

Maybe if someone started to do it to scare people, Apple may reconsider implementing such feature, though such deep cleaning is bad for flash memory modules. Which is probably why it fails to exist.

Personally, I use my phone for what most people use it for. But many people tend to have 'sensitive photos' :shhh:.... wouldn't be nice for them to get into the wrong hands... and all of a sudden see them appear online.. OUCH!

rsot 05-16-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Play (Post 771780)
Whats worse is having spoken to a senior Apple member of staff, she informed me how they dish out refurbished phones as replacements, now if the storage is not atleast reaplaced with a new one during the refurbishment process, then that could compromise a lot of people's data who are not wary of the deleted file recovery process.

Fairly certain Apple must flush out all old info before putting a refurbished one back on the market...