Starting up a business website got a couple questions? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 03-23-2009
Banned

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 89%
Default Starting up a business website got a couple questions?

So I am looking to start up my own website selling products.
I want to get a domain at godaddy and host at hostgator.
I know nothing about html or how to build a website so I was looking at the godaddy quick shopping cart where you can add 20 items and its only $9.99 a month anyone have any experience using godaddy shopping cart?
Also Im in need of a merchant but before I submit applications to them I am going to sell mostly movies and software so my main question would be would authorize.net accept me or any other merchant account since those are "HIGH RISK" items?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-23-2009

Longevity: 93%

If you are going with Hostgator as your host, you should get your domain with them as well. Go Daddy from what I've heard has many problems including losing your domain name. I would use Hostgator for both. That''s what I do.
Old 03-23-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 92%

Do not get a domain at godaddy, they will pull your dns at the first complaint, they suck as a registrar, they also front run. which means if you go to Godaddy to search for a domain and you don't buy it at that session, then you come back a few days or weeks later to buy it and mysteriously the domain you wanted has already been registered and you have to pay them $$$$ to buy it from them.

Don't be fooled by their big ad spending GoDaddy are Scammers!

And why pay $120 a year for a shopping cart for 20 items? Just use the free mercantec cart.

Keep your costs down until you see if your stuff will sell

You don't need your own CC processing account.

Sign up for Paypal, Google Checkout and amazon payments and the integrate that with free mercantec cart. Your customers breeze through checkout with no forms to fill out and you cover everybody .
+ it builds trust because you are not asking them to trust you with their CC info. They give their cc info to Amazon, paypal or Google.

see how I set mine up. (For Free)

go here and enter quantity of 1 and see the procedure.

Foo Fighters Posters » Concert Posters.Biz »

Last edited by The_Cynic; 03-23-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2009
Banned
Threadstarter  

The_Cynic I like your site but what shopping cart software did you use?
Because I tried out zen cart and could not figure out how to even use it or upload any files thats why I am looking at godaddy quick shopping cart because it looks simple to use.
Old 03-23-2009

Longevity: 91%

good luck with your new business
Old 03-23-2009
Executive [VIP]

Free Shopping Cart Software for Google Checkout and PayPal - Mercantec.com ----free and easy to set up.

It also takes Amazon payments in addition to paypal and Google checkout
Old 03-23-2009

The cynic my google checkout gives an error message "oops null", what does that mean what have I missed?
Old 03-23-2009
Executive [VIP]

Don't know, I never had a problem getting it to work, are you using the correct google account # on the mercantec verification page?
Old 03-23-2009

I double check I may have an error during the set up, just thought you might have encountered something similar. Probably an overlooked error.
Old 03-23-2009
Banned
Threadstarter  

Im still looking for a merchant account though because whenever I create a stealth paypal account they always limit me and ask for SSN# when I recieve over or around $800.....
Old 03-24-2009

Yahoo stores is the way to go, bar none.
Old 03-24-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 99%

auctiva commerce is about $10 a month for a website
Old 03-24-2009
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Longevity: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBX View Post
Yahoo stores is the way to go, bar none.
You have to be kidding me..

Yahoo Stores is the worst!
Old 03-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
You have to be kidding me..

Yahoo Stores is the worst!
Worst in what ways, I've tried several other carts etc its the easiest to setup and has brand recognition. From my experience more successful stores are based on the Yahoo Platform than any other and it has a large base of developers if you so inclined to have a custom design or features done.
Old 03-25-2009

Smile

Spookey cloud dont be put off by not understanding the upload procedure of zencart. They have an awesome forum and many tutorials scattered around the web. The only downfall to zencart which i have found is that your customers will need to log in to buy. However when your customers do buy you have all the info which is really good. I mean i was using publisher before which was very easy to set up but the scripts come out very long which isn't good. Also they don't have a shopping cart. You can however use a cart called something like romancart. They have a promotion with moneybookers but you have to pay for the cart.

going back to zencart. It is hard to get your head around it at first but then so will all carts. Especially if your dealing with css. I was put off by all the jargon and all sorts but have now managed to get my head around it. One of the good things is that there are so many free contributed add ons which you can use. Just to name a few: googlebase/froogle datafeed generator- xml site map generator- shopmania datafeed generator and many many more. All modules are available for paypal-google checkout and many more merchant integration tools.

I always do my zencart installation as a manual installation but have heard of something called fantastico which will do it for you automatically. If you need a hand in the setup process then email me and i will point you in the right direction. I would say that the zencart forum more or less covers everything.

Not to mention all the fun you will have..
Old 03-25-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBX View Post
Worst in what ways, I've tried several other carts etc its the easiest to setup and has brand recognition. From my experience more successful stores are based on the Yahoo Platform than any other and it has a large base of developers if you so inclined to have a custom design or features done.
Second post where you react in a negative way when someone dislikes your choice. Is there an agenda?
Old 03-25-2009

Has anyone tried magento's e-commerce software? If so how does it work for you?
Old 03-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREMLIN View Post
Spookey cloud dont be put off by not understanding the upload procedure of zencart. They have an awesome forum and many tutorials scattered around the web. The only downfall to zencart which i have found is that your customers will need to log in to buy. However when your customers do buy you have all the info which is really good. I mean i was using publisher before which was very easy to set up but the scripts come out very long which isn't good. Also they don't have a shopping cart. You can however use a cart called something like romancart. They have a promotion with moneybookers but you have to pay for the cart.

going back to zencart. It is hard to get your head around it at first but then so will all carts. Especially if your dealing with css. I was put off by all the jargon and all sorts but have now managed to get my head around it. One of the good things is that there are so many free contributed add ons which you can use. Just to name a few: googlebase/froogle datafeed generator- xml site map generator- shopmania datafeed generator and many many more. All modules are available for paypal-google checkout and many more merchant integration tools.

I always do my zencart installation as a manual installation but have heard of something called fantastico which will do it for you automatically. If you need a hand in the setup process then email me and i will point you in the right direction. I would say that the zencart forum more or less covers everything.

Not to mention all the fun you will have..
Do you use google checkout with your zencart?
Old 03-28-2009

No i dont use google checkout with my zencart but you can if you like.
Old 03-28-2009

The reason for google checkout being then it wouldn't be mandatory for customers to log for conversion purposes. But I'm having with the plug-in. I'll keep trying.
Old 03-31-2009

Yeh ive tried to implement the plug in also but am getting errors. im working on it and once its up and running will let you know. To get the full potential out of the plugin you will need a secure server or google will not relay the info back from there site to yours.
cheers
Old 04-02-2009

Yes I'll let you know as well when I get it working correctly. You are right about the SSL so I did get one to make use of all the benefits of the google checkout plug in.