build my own website. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 03-24-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 87%
Default build my own website.

after selling ebay for one year, I think ebay is not the best option .

I am thinking to build my own website to do my business...

right now my big concern is "how to accept payment without Paypal".

So buyers can pay Visa, Master, Amex ...

any idea!

Thanks!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-24-2010
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

There are dozens of great payment processors out there. Just to name a couple that would work fine with your website are Google checkout and Authorize.Net (merchant account). You can even use PayPal.. of course it would need to be stealth.

Good luck,
Old 03-24-2010
Executive [VIP]

Great ideas! And I wish someone would, or could, take the step forward and the initiative to build their own website that we all could buy, sell and trade without dealing with crap and people like Ebay.
I understand that specific rules and regulations have to play a part in any business, but c'mon, we all have to admit that both Ebay and Paypal are rediculous!
Trying to sell yourself to, not only the States, but the rest of the world like Ebay has would be tricky.

waterproof
Old 03-24-2010
Administrator

The thing that eBay has that a lot of copy cat sites don't have is BUYERS.

If you don't have buyers, then you're just wasting your time. In order to get those buyers you need to spend a lot of money and hope to become a household name like eBay. EBay is pretty much set to stay dominate for awhile.
Old 03-25-2010
Threadstarter  

Yes. I think so. Google checkout ---- can we make it to be stealth. I never use Google Checkout.

Do I need to add a bank account with the google checkout...

where I can get these information?

Right Now I have three stealth ebay and paypal accounts. But ebay and paypal charge 10% of final sale. I want to build my own website .
Also, Do I need to register my online business...

thanks for your help!
Old 03-25-2010
MU

Longevity: 91%
Send a message via AIM to First Edition Send a message via MSN to First Edition Send a message via Yahoo to First Edition Send a message via Skype™ to First Edition

Open a direct merchant account.

Google checkout is much trickier than ebay....
Old 03-25-2010
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
The thing that eBay has that a lot of copy cat sites don't have is BUYERS.
1000% Correct!

I am so tired of people complaining about eBay.

There is "NO" other game in town (Except Amazon).
Old 03-25-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysue View Post
Yes. I think so. Google checkout ---- can we make it to be stealth. I never use Google Checkout.

Do I need to add a bank account with the google checkout...

where I can get these information?

Right Now I have three stealth ebay and paypal accounts. But ebay and paypal charge 10% of final sale. I want to build my own website .
Also, Do I need to register my online business...

thanks for your help!
I swear us "canadians" could not open google checkout accounts. Maybe it changed.

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
Old 03-25-2010

Longevity: 85%

Before you worry about how to accept payments on your site you need think about shopping cart software. Mals-e is a great free one that can accept all forms of payments if you have the accounts set up. It integrates with option cart and many others. Option cart allows you to create a base template for your website and has an easy to use backend that allows you to add products, categories and inventory easily without coding. It generates the add to cart buttons in mals-e code. Here's an example of a site using option-cart, mals-e with paypal+google checkout. AngelPack ergonomic baby carriers a soft baby carrier for every style

Mals-e: Features - Mal's Ecommerce

Option Cart: OptionCart - ecommerce shopping cart catalog for small and home businesses
Old 03-25-2010
Threadstarter  

Ebay is a great site for us .

but more people use "google" to find what they want .

I use" Google" everyday . So I think if I can build my own website and work with Google, maybe it is a good chance for me.
Old 03-25-2010
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysue View Post
So I think if I can build my own website and work with Google, maybe it is a good chance for me.
A few members from here have started their own web sites.

They posted links to their new sites asking for our opinions and then about a month later we never heard from them again.

I would like to think they are successful in their new endeavor.
Old 03-25-2010
Administrator

Hehe, well it's hard work initially but in the long run it pays off big time.
Old 04-01-2010

Longevity: 86%

i think askpin can vouch that making your own website can pay off does anyone recommend a cheap ecommerce hosting company, im going to take advice and make my own site and divert ebay traffic to it
Old 04-02-2010
Administrator

I always recommend Hostgator. They're reliable, fast and priced well.

I have a few dozen of my other sites hosted there.
Old 04-04-2010
Executive [VIP]

Well, what if...lets say within the next 3-5 years, which very well could be possible, that Ebay slowly does away with 'auction-style' listings and rolls over to 'buy it now' options only? Becoming more like Amazon. That would take the fun out of selling your closet, garage and small businesses on Ebay because you depend on bidders to bid their highest. I say sell all that you can now because before too long, Ebay will become a 'Fixed' auction site. No fun! More and more people will no longer want to log on.
So then....can someone else take that BIG step of gumption and responsibility and go forth with the 'New Ebay'?
I don't have what it takes to begin such a thing, nor do I want to, but I will buy and sell honestly which will in turn make YOU the next wealthiest on the Stock Market!
Old 05-11-2010

Longevity: 80%

Building your own website is a good way to achieve some sales free of eBay and PayPal fees and I know a few people that have done well going this route. As said further up the thread though the difficult thing is getting the buyers to your site!
Old 05-17-2010
Executive [VIP]

I've decided that I want to sell Cat and Dog toys via my own website and make billions!

Old 05-17-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Hehe, well it's hard work initially but in the long run it pays off big time.

That sums it up pretty good. Its not fast. And one thing that always escapes new site owners is traffic. Traffic is everything and that is why everyone puts up with ebay.

You can have a fancy site with great products and great prices, but without traffic nobody knows you are there. Traffic takes time to get. Just tossing up a site wont do it. Setting up site to get traffic can be tricky. And if you pay Google, expensive. But arguably worth it.

I had a stand alone site and was doing about 15k a month and paying Google around a $1000 a month. One day I figured i would stop paying for ads to see what happens... Visits and sales crashed to 20% for the next 2 months. 80% loss was enough to convince me its a necessary evil.

Traffic is king. And its not easy. its not overnight. And its not cheap. ebay get a sick amount of traffic. I've sold items in minutes of listing. Thats powerful.

What i found worked very well [a year and half ago] for traffic was sneaking web store name in auction. Not a link, just the name in user id and in description. I still see it so don't think its against the rules, but maybe. Some people end up taking a Google search of company. I used to have a direct link to FAQ on my website right in auction. Once there they sometime bought direct. Not sure that's allowed or not... and while running auctions store sales tripled. But I'm betting links are a no-no.

Just my experience, so grain of salt
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pod For This Useful Post:
aking (05-19-2010), aspkin (05-18-2010), Burning (05-18-2010)
Old 05-17-2010

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
There are dozens of great payment processors out there. Just to name a couple that would work fine with your website are Google checkout and Authorize.Net (merchant account). You can even use PayPal.. of course it would need to be stealth.

Good luck,
I was wondering why would need the paypal to be stealth when you are selling on your own website?
Old 05-18-2010

Longevity: 90%
Default Has anyone tried this on paypal for a website?

Hi guys

I was so sick of ebay i took the plunge and went onto a website. In comparison now i dont know whats easier. At least with ebay you get shout down, you can start new account and still get the same traffic etc with new identity.
However my question along with my story.
Stealth paypal attached to website: at initial stage website was slow due to ranking so sales were minimum- paypal no problem.
As sales speed up over the course of time and better search engine results and some mental buyers run to dispute when clearly all they have to do is read return policy on website and return if unhappy. Eventually paypal said they could not support my website due to the nature of the products (replica) so i told to remove their logos etc from website and few other tasks. I did as required as i had another gateway at time on site too. So no matter what i could still sell. Again same happened and as from today i need to find a new gateway.
Now my question Can I attach the same domain but to another paypal account? Or will the domain get pciked up at time of payment.
Or if my website runs on 2 domains, one old (whereas it is found in search engine) but when buyers proceed to checkout they pay the 2nd domain as this is the url i added to my paypal. Will paypal detect this?
Any help would be greaty appreciated.
Old 05-18-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleex89 View Post
I was wondering why would need the paypal to be stealth when you are selling on your own website?
I'm not sure why I said that at the time, it doesn't have to be stealth as long as your personal information hasn't already been banned.
Old 05-18-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlaces View Post
Hi guys

I was so sick of ebay i took the plunge and went onto a website. In comparison now i dont know whats easier. At least with ebay you get shout down, you can start new account and still get the same traffic etc with new identity.
However my question along with my story.
Stealth paypal attached to website: at initial stage website was slow due to ranking so sales were minimum- paypal no problem.
As sales speed up over the course of time and better search engine results and some mental buyers run to dispute when clearly all they have to do is read return policy on website and return if unhappy. Eventually paypal said they could not support my website due to the nature of the products (replica) so i told to remove their logos etc from website and few other tasks. I did as required as i had another gateway at time on site too. So no matter what i could still sell. Again same happened and as from today i need to find a new gateway.
Now my question Can I attach the same domain but to another paypal account? Or will the domain get pciked up at time of payment.
Or if my website runs on 2 domains, one old (whereas it is found in search engine) but when buyers proceed to checkout they pay the 2nd domain as this is the url i added to my paypal. Will paypal detect this?
Any help would be greaty appreciated.
I'm not sure of the specifics, but I'm sure you can get around this pretty easy.

A new domain or just find a 3rd party to process for you like e-junkie or some of those other sites. There is a way, just think a bit.