eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   General Platform Discussions (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/general-platform-discussions/)
-   -   Bid or Buy-South African Marketplace (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/general-platform-discussions/21402-bid-buy-south-african-marketplace.html)

wjs010 08-08-2010 12:39 PM

Bid or Buy-South African Marketplace

Well I came across this in another thread but couldn't find a thread about this. Does anyone use this and do well? I was thinking of shipping golf clubs out there ( not phakes lol) because they seem to sell for a lot more, if the currency calculator was right. Don't know how much shipping would be...just a thought. Few questions :

is there a final value fee?

Is there a recurring bill?

Is the shipping too much to even deal with?

Can US people use bobpay?

thanks alot people...

jeffweico 08-08-2010 01:20 PM

I would think smaller items are best. To ship a set of golf clubs internationally would cost a fortune. I'm interested in this site as well, but I don't know anyone who has used it.

wjs010 08-08-2010 01:58 PM

the look is great and people here are saying they make a better income off there than ebay...I just want to know why :p

jbluntz 08-08-2010 02:15 PM

Looks like you need a South African bank in order to withdraw funds though.

The Don 08-08-2010 03:26 PM

Stuff on this site sells for a ton more than any country I've noticed... I say shoot for it! It's traffic is awesome!

jeffweico 08-08-2010 03:31 PM

Does anyone have a link to their rules/procedures for international sellers? I looked on their site and couldn't find them.

wjs010 08-08-2010 06:12 PM

well i used my passport number for them to charge my card, so they better not make me have a South african bank account to sell stuff lol. You can use paypal or bobpay ( think that's what it's called) ..

xl_The_Jackal_lx 08-08-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbuntz (Post 156553)
Looks like you need a South African bank in order to withdraw funds though.

I think that's only for bobpay, their proprietary payment service. I don't think bobpay is mandatory to use if you sell.

Stigger 08-09-2010 04:07 PM

Looks like you can sign up from pretty much any country

So to accept p/p do you think you would have to use the same deatils as on p/p or just the email address you use to take payments ?

Stigger 08-09-2010 04:43 PM

Signed up

Its pretty much the same as ebay where you sign upto a buyer account and then upgrade to a sellers account .

to upgrade they verify you bu c/c or direct from bank account, also if not from S.A they want passport number to verify you .

Well that presented a problem for me as i don't have one, i just entered a DL Number and it worked .

Right thats me I'm off to get listing, it looks very promising for what im selling , whoop whoop !!

By the way , thanks for the heads up .

xl_The_Jackal_lx 08-09-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Well that presented a problem for me as i don't have one, i just entered a DL Number and it worked .
Wow nice, that is very useful. I might be able to try out BoB sooner than I had hoped. Gonna try this.

SoulStorm 08-10-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjs010 (Post 156530)
Well I came across this in another thread but couldn't find a thread about this. Does anyone use this and do well? I was thinking of shipping golf clubs out there ( not phakes lol) because they seem to sell for a lot more, if the currency calculator was right. Don't know how much shipping would be...just a thought. Few questions :

thanks alot people...

Agreed, golf clubs to extremely well on BoB. In fact most products fetch much higher prices than any other site (this is due to most merchandise being highly overpriced in South Africa).

To answer your questions:

Yes, however it ranges from only 1% - 5% depending on the value of the sale (lower priced items will incur 5% and the percentage drops as the sale value increases). See the link below for the fee structure:

Help - Selling - Fee Rate Card

Depends on exactly what you mean by this. If you mean "auto-relist fees", then in certain cases, yes. If you choose any enhanced listing options, each auto-relist will incur the same enhanced listing fee as the original listing. If you do not use enhanced listings, or do not auto-relist items, then there is no recurring fees. Standard (non-enhanced) listings also do not incur any listing fees.

Although I am back living in my home country of South Africa now, I sold on BoB from the UK for over a year. Even with the higher postage costs, the average selling price of items still makes a much higher profit than enay or other sites. Charge your cost price for shipping each item as the shipping charge.

Not currently, as it requires a South African bank account to withdraw the money. However, BoB are looking to expand the BOBpay system to allow withdrawing to international accounts as well. For now use PayPal or Google Checkout (worked best for me when I was in the UK, just convert the currency and manually invoice with GC). PayPal is integrated on BoB for easier payments.

SoulStorm 08-10-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffweico (Post 156570)
Does anyone have a link to their rules/procedures for international sellers? I looked on their site and couldn't find them.

The rules and procedures for international sellers are the same as for local sellers, except you use your passport number to register instead of an SA ID number. For the terms and conditions please see the following link:

Help - Policies, Terms And Conditions

Also dont be afraid to use the forum if in need of assistance:

bidorbuy.co.za Forum

Unlike ebay and other huge sites, the BoB community is more like a close-nit family. You will find help in the forums guaranteed, with plenty of buyers and sellers alike offering assistance.

SoulStorm 08-10-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xl_The_Jackal_lx (Post 156662)
I think that's only for bobpay, their proprietary payment service. I don't think bobpay is mandatory to use if you sell.

Correct. BOBpay is not mandatory at all. You can use any method to accept payment eg: PayPal, Google Checkout, Moneybookers, International bank transfer (wire transfer) etc.

As an international seller, I recommend giving a few options for buyer to choose from for payment

SoulStorm 08-10-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TizWoz (Post 156939)
Signed up

Its pretty much the same as ebay where you sign upto a buyer account and then upgrade to a sellers account .

to upgrade they verify you bu c/c or direct from bank account, also if not from S.A they want passport number to verify you .

Right thats me I'm off to get listing, it looks very promising for what im selling , whoop whoop !!

By the way , thanks for the heads up .

Big mistake to use DL number. New international and local sellers alike are often requested to send a copy of ID (passport in the case of international sellers) and utility bill to be verified. Once that is sent, you cannot expect any problems after that. However, if you register with f*ke details and cannot send verification when requested, you will be shut down (BoB quickly get rid of potential scammers, and using f*ke details spells scam. Remember, this is not ebay where accounts get closed for no reason, BoB will not close an account without very good reason. So using f*ake details is a big red flag there).

Use your legitimate details, legitimate passport number and address, and you will have a smooth ride with no hassles.

Also, due to BoB being a more localized site, f*ke photoshop edits of passport and utility bill will NOT work for verification. Unlike ebay who dont have the staff requirements to verify details due to the large number of people needed to be verified, BoB DO verify details and DO inspect documents thoroughly. If the copy of your passport looks suspect you will be requested to send a full colour, notorized copy (almost impossible to do on PS, unless you really are a PS expert). If you are using ⊗⊗⊗⊗ details, you will be shut down as you will not be able to provide such.

Stay legit, and your account will run smoothly for a lifetime. Try to f*ake anything, and you will be shut down before you can ask "what happened".

Above all remember, this is NOT ebay. You do NOT need to run f*ake accounts and stealth methods. BoB is a close community and f*ke accounts wont last you even one sale on most occasions. There is no need to f*ake on BoB as legit sellers are respected, not given the boot. Both local and international sellers are treated with the same respect.

SoulStorm 08-10-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TizWoz (Post 156919)
Looks like you can sign up from pretty much any country

So to accept p/p do you think you would have to use the same deatils as on p/p or just the email address you use to take payments ?

BoB are integrated with PayPal, but are not ebay and therefore cannot access your PayPal account details. You can use stealth PayPal accounts without a problem. Use your legit details for BoB, and use any stealth PayPal email to accept the payments (can be changed to a new PP account when PP shuts you down, just enter your new PP email into the payment section on BoB) :)

SoulStorm 08-10-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xl_The_Jackal_lx (Post 157040)
Wow nice, that is very useful. I might be able to try out BoB sooner than I had hoped. Gonna try this.

Dont try that. Read my previous reply to TizWoz.

Keep your BoB details legit as they ask for (real name, real address, PASSPORT number) and be honest and you will have a smooth sailing account that will last a lifetime :) BoB do NOT penalize sellers for being honest like ebay does, but will quickly get rid of f*kes :)

SoulStorm 08-10-2010 05:48 PM

If anyone else needs some help, please just post your questions here and I will help where I can. Or best yet, use the forum on BoB

bidorbuy.co.za Forum

There are tons of members just waiting to help out on the BoB forum (including myself) and you will get the help you need very quickly there :) As I said before, the BoB community is like a family, and you will see that when browsing and using the forum :)

Good luck and enjoy the success of IMHO the best auction site around. The profits are far higher than ebay, the support is great from both staff and other members, and the community is a family... what more do you need? :)

SoulStorm 08-10-2010 06:01 PM

ASPKIN can we sticky this thread? BidorBuy is definitely a very worthy alternative to ebay, IMHO it is FAR better than ebay in every aspect. I think this thread deserves to be stickied :)

xl_The_Jackal_lx 08-10-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulStorm (Post 157287)
Dont try that. Read my previous reply to TizWoz.

Keep your BoB details legit as they ask for (real name, real address, PASSPORT number) and be honest and you will have a smooth sailing account that will last a lifetime :) BoB do NOT penalize sellers for being honest like ebay does, but will quickly get rid of f*kes :)

I'm gonna try it with stealth details anyway. :FF: I prefer to test the waters myself.

wjs010 08-11-2010 10:33 AM

thank you alot soulstorm I'm going to dropship items from usa to south africa..i found "things" that can make 400 dollar profit..jeez..thank you bid or buy

wjs010 08-11-2010 10:34 AM

i think i can make a fair bit of money only selling on BoB..likereally ..i'll give you a hint..look at the recent winning prices for ipads..about 300 dolars more than in the us...hint hint