website help - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 02-24-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 93%
Default website help

hi guys!
im clueless about website stuff.. (stay at home mom). trying to break myself off ebay.
okay, so i made some pages using website creator.. im really stoked with how far ive come, but i have no idea how to publish it and get a domain name.
the box says "publish with 1 click" but thats not so..
what is "ftp"?? something about my internet server, but im under the impression thats just for personal website use.. i want something that is going to load fast for the buyer as i have alot of pictures and pages to load. i know il have to pay for domain and server.. but i dont know how to conect the pages i built into an actual working site..
please help this mama put 2 and 2 together. ( i am a quick learner)

anyone use website creator? when i add the html for shopping cart, it doesnt show up correctly until publishd, im worried once published, that my buttons wont be where they should be.
thanks so much!!! im so excited to get this on the web!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-24-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

How a website works:

You have a site called aspkin.com (bought domain name from godaddy.com)

With that domain name you'll need hosting. I also have bought cheap webhosting from godaddy.

Once you have hosting and your domain.

You'll need a FTP program. I use cuteftp to connect to your server.

Once you're connected you can upload files to the internet.

To use a FTP program, you'll need the ip address of your web server, given by your web host, and you'll need to use your username and password also given by your web host.

First things first, get your domain registered and buy web hosting, then download the FTP program to connect to your site.

Let me know if you need any help.
Old 02-24-2008
Threadstarter  

thanks so much! okay, 1.get obtain a domain name and hosting from godaddy.
2. then dowload cuteftp.
how do i make the connection between my domain name jus purchased with my web pages just built with a softare on my computer? and how do i download my premade website files to ftp? i dont see an option to download.. do i just upload it like i would a picture file or something?

do i need to get a certain size of hosting or something in order to list a 100-200 products?
is it essential to "buy" hosting? or can i just use what my interent provider provides.. or is that a small amount for just personal websites???
ill go buy it as soon as i hear back from you.

when i click preview (on my website i built) it says ive place large amounts on there and it might take a long time to download?? i havent even added everything yet.. i love how my pages are looking so far, so i dont want to start over.
does it sound like im off track? i have 5 or 6 pages so far and they all link accordingly and is very easy to navigate in a buyers eyes. i just need to bring it all together to the internet and add my shopping cart html (which i already figured out).
tons of thanks! i am so excited about this!
ps. i got suspended after about.. mmm.. atleast 20 trademark/copyright vioaltion and got my account reinstated within a week. but i still want an alternative to ebay.
Old 02-24-2008

Longevity: 94%

FYI ... FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and is just a fancy name for getting your website uploaded to the internet. Yes, you have to buy hosting if you want a website name such as www.iwuvmyson.com. If you use space on your internet provider your website would be something like. www.comcast.com/userid/????? Not very useful for marketing!
Old 02-24-2008
Threadstarter  

awsome! thanks for shedding some light. thats what i figured and i dont mind paying for it as id rather have a real website name to market.

my dilema is, is i created a website with a software i bought from best buy on my computer... and i dont know how to connect an actual domain to it and bring it all together.
im on godaddy right now.. should i go with "economy" "deluxe" ?? i dont know what i need.. as far as GB transfer/ GB space etc.. im selling custom baby clothes, and will have about 50-100.. possibly more in the future. i only need to list 1 picture per item and a shopping cart button for each pic (from paypal).
sorry if sound like the biggest tard, im a newbie at this stuff.. but im sure i will pick up the lingo and know how quickly!
Old 02-24-2008
Administrator

Hmm, well that software spits out HTML pages right?

Everything should be in a folder?

Upload all the contents of the folder to your web host with the FTP program.

Get your web hosting now if you haven't already, then work with the ftp program to upload files.

I'd just go with economy right now, you won't need anything bigger then this until your websites grows.

Also economy is perfect for what you're doing. I've hosted many sites with Godaddy's economy and they're good for smaller sites.
Old 02-24-2008
Threadstarter  

aspkin, i clicked on the cutepc link you provided, what happens when the free trial ends? do i still need it? or is there a basic free version?
Old 02-24-2008
Administrator

Hmm, mine is actually paid for. But I could of swore after the trial you could keep using it. There are other FTP programs out there though, don't worry.

You can do a google search for FTP program download and you'll find are large number of options, I like cuteftp though; I use it with all my sites.
Old 02-24-2008
Threadstarter  

aspkin,
i dont see a html converter. ( i will keep looking)
when i hit publish, a box pops up and wants
ftp server
user name
pasword
www folder

or i have the option to choose "advance" and it says
port 21 "usually this # is 21"
passive
Proxy server (drop down menu provides choice of "socks4 or socks5)
server name
port
user name
password
i bought the stupid program with the assumption of building a store. but it keeps refering to it as a "homepage" it came with another "website promoter" that is suppose to "increase sales" so the package deal makes you think you can build a store.. i think i got ripped off as far as th site builder program goes.. but i like how my pages are turning out. i hope adding shopping cart buttons isnt a problem since this is more for personal website use. it doesnt speak about shopping carts within the program, but i know how to get the buttons from paypal.
Old 02-24-2008
Threadstarter  

okay, the box for this program says "convert to html with 1 click" but ive lookd at every option and do see it.. theres not a whole lot of options, so i dont see how i could miss it..
do you think my pages i built are salvagable? can i publish it with the info it requests, see my last post?
Old 02-24-2008
Threadstarter  

oop **** i dont see it
Old 02-24-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwuvmyson View Post
aspkin,
i dont see a html converter. ( i will keep looking)
when i hit publish, a box pops up and wants
ftp server
user name
pasword
www folder
Once you get your web hosting setup, you'll receive this information:

ftp server
user name
password
www folder

And it looks like the software you bought, once you enter this info will upload the files for you. So just get you hosting and you can upload using the software you have.
Old 02-24-2008

What software are you using to build your website?
Old 02-24-2008
Administrator

For the blog I used wordpress.org, for the forum I used vbulletin.com

For a shopping cart I recommend cs-cart.com
Old 02-24-2008
Threadstarter  

apskin,
after i get that info and publish.. does it automatically add the domain name in with it..im confused on how to bring the 2 together (pages built and domain name).
im using perfect website creator by cosmi. now that ive gotten a little more familiar with it, it is pretty easy to use. except for the publishing part. its suppose to be for idiots like me..
i still need to add my product pictures and shopping cart buttons.. i didnt want to waste anymore time until i know i can bring it all together. but i got all the pages ready and titled with categories that all link to eachother.. so i just need to fill the pages my product and "add to cart" buttons.
okay. im gonna go buy the domain and basic hosting.. right now.. im sure ill have more questions.. thanks so much you guys!
you guys rock!!!
Old 02-24-2008
Threadstarter  

one more question.
what size should an average page be? if you can imagine, i have boder, white center. but when i "preview" the white center is not centered, its more towards the left leaving the right side of my border really big.
Old 02-24-2008
Administrator

TO make your domain and web hosting work together you'll need to set your domain DNS to whatever your web hosting tells you to set it. I forget what godaddy DNS is. But go to where you bought your domain, and search a FAQ to change the domain DNS.
Old 02-25-2008

maybe one of the new members could help. one of them seems pretty knowledgable with websites and selling ebay accounts.
Old 02-25-2008

..........rofl