Website Creation on a shoestring budget - Page 3 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 08-06-2007
Banned

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
I had a half of page of why you shouldn't trust just any webhost… then decided this would probably better answer all your questions.

Web Hosting Talk - The largest, most influential web hosting community on the Internet
Aspkin please dont make me read thru all of that,,lol So why shouldnt I just trust any web host. I need to know soon because I'm about to choose another host

and here is a review for godaddy by a user. Its a bad review. They arent looking too good for me..

The Good
- affordable
- i did like their control panel and didn't add to storage like cPanel does
- accounts are setup instantly
- free Dedicated IP with purchase of SSL certificate
- single control panel and billing login

The Bad
- email control panel is ***
- you can't have seperate e-mail for other addon (seperate) domains you have.
- FTP times out in seconds if you don't use it constantly
- Takes a long time for a subdomain, pointer or addon domain to become active, even if the control panel says it's active
- I dont think any of their support staff are educated in computers and networking. Ask them a question, they talk about a totally different thing.
- VPS takes too long to setup, making you frustates and antcy
- You can't use their hosting for a variety of things, it's very limited. Which you don't expect because their policies are broad and unclear and takes their legal department over a week to ask questions.
- slow website response and load speed
- MySQL take to long to create and you dont get to add users to specific ones
-- can't have additional name servers as backup increase their name servers fail. You are forced just to use theirs (Only).
- it states 5 mins response on their support site, but yet takes over a day for a response (don't believe what the wait time states!)
- you can not set the storage amount for emails
- auto install scripts are limited and some scripts produce errors because not properly installed.

The Company Bad
- there is nothing good about the company, expect the domains do come with many features compared to other registrars
- I'm tired of my money going to support hoochie mamas and offensive commericals (I dont mind half naked girls, dont get me wrong, but resorting to get business, crosses the line for me, especially when it's my money that pays for it)
- The CEO Bob Parsons, comparing GoDaddy's charitable donations to other companies, saying that larger companies should donate more, when he should congrat. companies on donating any amount period.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-07-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

Well for $5 a month. Godaddy is a good choice. Sure they have some problems, but that doesn't include their server. Their servers are almost always online and are usually always fast. And that to me is the most important.
Old 08-07-2007
Banned

I chose to go with hostgator.com. I saw a website by chance that has the type of products I will be selling and it was very graphic intense and it was very fast with loading! and their customer service is excellent.

The problem with big companies is that they are so big that they dont have the time to cater to your needs.
Old 08-07-2007

Longevity: 99%

Don't a lot of ISP's now come with a free hosting package? Though they may be limited. I'm not sure about that.
Old 08-07-2007
Administrator

Anything "free", usually isn't really free. Either you'll pay for the service with your monthly bill, or you'll have advertisments on your website. Paying a few bucks a month is worth it.
Old 08-07-2007

So then if you're alREADY paying through your ISP, that would be a good possible option? I may look further into this. The answer could have been there in front of me all along.
Old 08-07-2007
Administrator

I guess. Depends if you have ads on your site or not.
Old 08-08-2007

I wouldn't expect so if it's a paid ISP. But you never know.
Old 08-21-2007
Banned

I tried installing the xcart and was successful but its actually hard to work with ! :( I had to unintall it.
Old 08-21-2007
Administrator

Have you tried -

osCommerce, Open Source Online Shop E-Commerce Solutions

It's supposed to be the best free shopping cart.
Old 08-21-2007
Banned

OS commerce is very hard too. its no different then xcart. i tried using that too and I gave up. The m 2 shopping carts offers more then what I need. I just need a simple shopping cart.

I'm going to try zencart next
Old 08-22-2007
Banned

Okay i found 1 now. They are free to use and have simple buy buttons to add to my website.

Mal's e-commerce
Old 08-22-2007
Banned

Okay, I'm adding a ClickBank Script to my website on the left side , kind of like google ads. But sometimes when the ad shows it will cut off the right border of the ad so that half of the add will show. Does anyone knows how to fix this. its like my ads is sliced down the middle . I adjusted the HTMl so that the width will be wider but it still doesnt work
Old 08-22-2007
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hanson View Post
OS commerce is very hard too. its no different then xcart. i tried using that too and I gave up. The m 2 shopping carts offers more then what I need. I just need a simple shopping cart.

I'm going to try zencart next
criss try CartManager - How The World Shops On-Line that's what I use and it great