Opinions wanted. How would your perfect eBay alternative be like? - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 09-08-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa1971 View Post
Sounds exciting!

Allow money orders as payment. This will help the poor people keep their families afloat since they often have bad credit.
We want to allow alternate payment methods as much as possible. Besides PayPal definitely Google Checkout, MoneyBookers and AlertPay.

The tricky part for money orders is ..any scammer can sell something, request a money order and never ship it. We need some kind of "verification" in place that makes money orders as well as other offline methods like bank transfers a safe way to pay.

Another way would be an in-house escrow system. The seller pays us, the buyer ship and we then release the funds to the buyer. A faster way to receive money for the seller would be going through a verification process that then allows the seller to accept payments via their own merchant accounts, checks, money orders, bank transfers, etc. Maybe from a certain amount of feedback ..say under 50 feedback you're required to accept PayPal, Google Checkout, MoneyBookers or AlertPay, and over 50 feedback you're allowed to accept offline payment methods.

If you didn't have the needed feedback, you could still get verified before through other ways, such as a letter in the mail to confirm your address for example. We're looking at something in that direction right now.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-08-2011

Longevity: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustme View Post
We want to allow alternate payment methods as much as possible. Besides PayPal definitely Google Checkout, MoneyBookers and AlertPay.

The tricky part for money orders is ..any scammer can sell something, request a money order and never ship it. We need some kind of "verification" in place that makes money orders as well as other offline methods like bank transfers a safe way to pay.

Another way would be an in-house escrow system. The seller pays us, the buyer ship and we then release the funds to the buyer. A faster way to receive money for the seller would be going through a verification process that then allows the seller to accept payments via their own merchant accounts, checks, money orders, bank transfers, etc. Maybe from a certain amount of feedback ..say under 50 feedback you're required to accept PayPal, Google Checkout, MoneyBookers or AlertPay, and over 50 feedback you're allowed to accept offline payment methods.

If you didn't have the needed feedback, you could still get verified before through other ways, such as a letter in the mail to confirm your address for example. We're looking at something in that direction right now.
I would love to get involved in something like this - how many of you would?

It sounds great and you really sound like you are going to give it a good shot. If you ever need anyone in the UK I'm your gal!!
Old 09-08-2011

Longevity: 78%

Quote:

Sounds great!!!!!! I always used cash (small amounts) or a MO on Ebay before they disallowed it and never had a problem.

Also maybe you could get people to work it for free at first, kindof like Moderators donate their time to moderate boards. Just a thought
Old 09-08-2011

Longevity: 73%

Quote:
I've done some investigating into feedback from when eBay implemented "Best Match" and it seems that it's really hated by most sellers, due to the fact that listings are not given equal exposure. In the end, equal exposure can only be given in one way, which is through "Ending Soonest", as old-fashioned as it may seem. eBay used to be loved by buyers and sellers alike, before they implemented all the changes and focused on big sellers only. I think what we'll focus on is going back to what eBay once was, and focusing on the average seller, real people, instead of big sellers.

Obviously, big sellers are also very welcome but everyone should be given equal exposure, whether they are big or small.

6 months is probably most realistic. The beta version might open sooner. And yes, there will be an adult section.

That depends on aspkin, the owner of this forum, when the time comes. I've said from the beginning that I'm looking for ideas and suggestions, not to advertise.

I agree that a large investment in promotion is needed and we already have the backing of investors which most start-ups would be jealous of. I think eBay got onto the wrong track somewhere when they stopped caring for sellers, which sealed their downfall. Obviously, eBay is not dead, far from it, but they're losing what they once were, which is a loved-by-all and fair marketplace for everyone. Most sellers are also buyers, which is why it's important to take care of them.
i hope it works out mate, about time there was somthing to rival ebay,try to keep big companys from selling on there so it gives the average person a chance to get sales,also i think it would be good if you gave the sellers a free store like ioffer and then charge them when the products sell,and please start your own payment processor so we can put paypal out of bussiness,never know this forum could be how to get back on your website in the future lol
Old 09-08-2011

Longevity: 82%

There are a few eBay alternatives out there, but they don't get the buyers. getting this off the ground will be difficult.

The suggestions....
Search listings similar to Amazon. I have an account on ebay where my items are buried on page 37. Buyers don't even want to go to page 37, so the buy box where it groups items will declutter the catalogue. On Amazom, my unique items get a prominent position. Google Shopping uses this method also. It gives unique items a fair chance with increased exposure making your site cool for the cottage industry people.

Everybody needs to make some extra money these days due to the worldwide financial climate. Ebay shot themselves in the foot by trying to push out these people.

I would create each site with the impression that's from that country. British people feel safer buying from a UK site instead of a foreign site written in a poorly translated language. Im sure most countries feel the same.

Don't include foreign listings in the main search. I don't want to wade through a million 99p Chinese listings. Just a Button at the end to serach worldwide.

Google checkout and bank transfer as payment methods.

One question though, how on earth are we going to outstealth you???

Here is some guidance to help you avoid the mistakes of other marketplaces:
Seller's Choice: Merchants Rate Ecommerce Marketplaces

Last edited by bode; 09-08-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyT View Post
I would love to get involved in something like this - how many of you would?

It sounds great and you really sound like you are going to give it a good shot. If you ever need anyone in the UK I'm your gal!!
I will let you know if there's any help needed, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa1971 View Post
Sounds great!!!!!! I always used cash (small amounts) or a MO on Ebay before they disallowed it and never had a problem.

Also maybe you could get people to work it for free at first, kindof like Moderators donate their time to moderate boards. Just a thought
I think eBay tried to do a PayPal-only monopoly, but was then faced with potential lawsuits just like Microsoft did with Internet Explorer. So we want to allow the most popular options (PayPal, Google Checkout, MoneyBookers & AlertPay), which offers people some kind of protection (some more than others, obviously) ..but also offline payment methods because not everyone has a PayPal account (or it's limited) or a merchant account. But there also needs to be a "safety net" otherwise you'll have "someone" from "nowhere" with 0 feedback offering a $5000 painting, accepting wire transfer only to China ...and you know what might happen. Not saying all Chinese sellers are bad, of course, but just as an example. I've done business with Chinese sellers who at times I've had 10k credit with paid in advance and their word was always good.

Just saying, online payment options (but more than eBay) for everyone - offline payment methods for "trusted" or "verified" sellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
i hope it works out mate, about time there was somthing to rival ebay,try to keep big companys from selling on there so it gives the average person a chance to get sales,also i think it would be good if you gave the sellers a free store like ioffer and then charge them when the products sell,and please start your own payment processor so we can put paypal out of bussiness,never know this forum could be how to get back on your website in the future lol
Definitely. We want to give it a kind of a "community" feeling, where trading happens from "Joe" to "Jane". I think eBay lost that somewhere along the way. They made it all too robot-ish. There's no personal feeling to the trade anymore. You can't even see who out-bid you on auctions, all you see is a***o (48) or k***s (29). An in-house payment processor is in the plan, somewhere down the road, but it's too early for that. We need a solid user base first and then we can think about introducing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bode View Post
There are a few eBay alternatives out there, but they don't get the buyers. getting this off the ground will be difficult.

The suggestions....
Search listings similar to Amazon. I have an account on ebay where my items are buried on page 37. Buyers don't even want to go to page 37, so the buy box where it groups items will declutter the catalogue. On Amazom, my unique items get a prominent position. Google Shopping uses this method also. It gives unique items a fair chance with increased exposure making your site cool for the cottage industry people.

Everybody needs to make some extra money these days due to the worldwide financial climate. Ebay shot themselves in the foot by trying to push out these people.

I would create each site with the impression that's from that country. British people feel safer buying from a UK site instead of a foreign site written in a poorly translated language. Im sure most countries feel the same.

Don't include foreign listings in the main search. I don't want to wade through a million 99p Chinese listings. Just a Button at the end to serach worldwide.

Google checkout and bank transfer as payment methods.

One question though, how on earth are we going to outstealth you???

Here is some guidance to help you avoid the mistakes of other marketplaces:
Seller's Choice: Merchants Rate Ecommerce Marketplaces
Very true. There are lots of alternatives but let's be honest ...both the alternatives and eBay have one huge problem. The design. Look at iOffer. The landing page is a huge 10 mile page with small text. The search results are on snow-white background with light blue font, with grey shades everywhere. It's a great concept, but I don't want to shop there because it hurts my eyes after 2 minutes. And my screen is on "0" brightness and "10" contrast, way lower than the average person online. If it's not easy on the eyes for buyers, they're not going to spend more time on it than they need.

On the other hand, look at Bonanza. They have a design that's much more friendly on the eyes than iOffer and you can see how much they've grown in the past months.

As for regional websites, we expect to launch with a single .com website first, and then expand into countries as we see fit. There's no need to expand into Uruguay for example if we only have 10 members registered from there, but I think once we hit a certain number from a certain country, we'll expand there. The UK is definitely in the top spots, if not THE top spot below the US and the global website.

As for filtering out results, we already have the option to show from a certain country only and maybe it's a good idea to search for products from "all countries, except" where you could then specify which countries you don't want products shown from. I know Chinese sellers are swamping eBay with hundreds or thousands of similar listings and I think eBay's duplicate listings policy was one of the few good decisions that eBay took about that.

Now, as for out-stealthing ..we hope that there's no need for that. Obviously it can always happen that someone has a problem and is innocent, but for that I hope to put a special contact feature on the website to contact me personally for emergencies, and I promise to review every single problem before I go to bed at night and will try to fix it before I go to sleep Because I know how awful it feels to get your (eBay) account suspended and then waiting days or weeks for an answer with no way to contact anyone. It feels awful, especially when you need the money to support your family and I don't want any seller having to go through that. I know that's a big promise ...will have to find out a way so that not everyone uses that channel instead of the normal support :D

And thank you for the link, I'll read that right now
Old 09-08-2011

Longevity: 82%

One other thing; instead of the hated DSR system, introduce a system where the sellers don't get paid until the item is marked as shipped. This will encourage sellers to get their items out quicker. Perhaps put a ban on second class/ economy shipping? Everyone wants a fast transaction.

The comments in that link are an excellent resource.

Last edited by bode; 09-08-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2011

I concur with Bode
Old 09-09-2011

Longevity: 87%

I would say you need to make this website under laws in another country. So that everyone can sell FO FO with out gettin into any sort of trouble oh and make a category for it. I bet alot of people want to BUY the fo fo even if they know it.
Old 09-09-2011

No - definitely not - if it just becomes another venue for ⊗⊗⊗⊗ count me out

Old 09-09-2011

Longevity: 90%

Quote:
Long way to go, I don't even want to think about that. But of course, I'll still be around like always. After all, we're working on creating a better place for sellers, and we're all sellers

Another question: What do you think of something along eBay's "Best Match" option? I've read in quite a few places that sellers hate the "Best Match" option. What alternative would be a good choice?
"best match" really sucks, when ebay implemented that , it really killed out sold price, because at the time we used auction style exclusively, and that gave us and everyone a chance to be on the top when people do a search for the specific product because it was filtered as ending soonest. "Best Match" made big sellers bigger and basically killed small time sellers.
Old 09-09-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
No - definitely not - if it just becomes another venue for ⊗⊗⊗⊗ count me out

What would you recommend to prevent counterfeits? It's easy to say "you can't list counterfeits", but after all only the seller with the item in his hands knows if it's original or not. From my point of view, it's virtually impossible to prevent the listing of counterfeit items, unless all the sellers first sent the item to us for inspection which is impossible.

I'm open to suggestions, but it's something that even eBay can't tackle.
Old 09-09-2011

Longevity: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bode View Post
One other thing; instead of the hated DSR system, introduce a system where the sellers don't get paid until the item is marked as shipped. This will encourage sellers to get their items out quicker. Perhaps put a ban on second class/ economy shipping? Everyone wants a fast transaction.

The comments in that link are an excellent resource.
i would recommend instead of getting paid by just marking the item "shipped".
make it where the seller gets paid when confirmation/tracking shows "delivered".
Old 09-09-2011

Quote:
What would you recommend to prevent counterfeits? It's easy to say "you can't list counterfeits", but after all only the seller with the item in his hands knows if it's original or not. From my point of view, it's virtually impossible to prevent the listing of counterfeit items, unless all the sellers first sent the item to us for inspection which is impossible.

I'm open to suggestions, but it's something that even eBay can't tackle.
I truly don't know - what I do know is we get the grief we do from Ebay and Paypal because of all the publicity about ⊗⊗⊗⊗.

You have a unique opportunity here to create something that both buyers and sellers want. In order for it to totally succeed you do not need copyright holders and trademark holders dragging you through the court system.

Do you think Ebay go to war on the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ sellers because they don't want the income? - No - they do it because they don't want the court papers falling on their desk

No matter what the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ sellers argue ⊗⊗⊗⊗ is illegal - you cannot if you are going to be credible be seen to be involved in the sale of illegal goods - if you do you just become another also ran instead of a multi billion dollar business that could take Ebay on head to head.

And what are you going to do when EB/PP want to buy you out?
Old 09-09-2011

Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Obviously, traffic (which then turn into sales) is an important factor. This part is taken care of. It won't be an empty site launched, but real products from real sellers (chosen before the launch in a beta program) already available in every category, and we also have the backing of several investors for a massive online and offline (print, media) advertising campaign.
I was wondering if you could offer a bit more detail on the plans to promote the site? What is the budget you have in mind? Are you talking about Super Bowl promotions or a add click campaign How many years can your potential site survive with negative cash flow, while a customer base is being built up?

When Yahoo Actions closed down their US sites, they had less than 1% of market share.

The whole premise you seem to have is build a better mouse trap and the sellers will come. That's ass backwards. What the sellers think doesn't mean squat. The sellers need to go where the buyers are, period.

Most of the rules on E-Bay and Amazon are designed to empower the buyers and make them feel safe. These two sites have the most traffic and buyers, so what is it that you can offer to a buyer that Amazon and E-Bay aren't already offering. And if you do come up with some idea that will draw buyers off their sites, what's to stop them from just copying the idea?
The Following User Says Thank You to Road-Kill For This Useful Post:
GrannyT (09-09-2011)
Old 09-09-2011

Never forget it is the buyers that pay the fees - not as seems the case sellers.

If the buyers are happy they will generate fee income.

If the sellers are happy and the buyers are not you will get nothing

The sellers will always follow the buyers

That seems a concept that is lost on too many people on this forum
Old 09-09-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I truly don't know - what I do know is we get the grief we do from Ebay and Paypal because of all the publicity about ⊗⊗⊗⊗.

You have a unique opportunity here to create something that both buyers and sellers want. In order for it to totally succeed you do not need copyright holders and trademark holders dragging you through the court system.

Do you think Ebay go to war on the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ sellers because they don't want the income? - No - they do it because they don't want the court papers falling on their desk

No matter what the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ sellers argue ⊗⊗⊗⊗ is illegal - you cannot if you are going to be credible be seen to be involved in the sale of illegal goods - if you do you just become another also ran instead of a multi billion dollar business that could take Ebay on head to head.

And what are you going to do when EB/PP want to buy you out?
In the nature of eCommerce, it's nearly impossible to keep counterfeit listings away. Until someone finds a way, of course, but so far apparently nobody has. I'm sure eBay doesn't mind. A huge percentage from their income comes from counterfeits, obviously. I think most buyers are knowledgeable enough to understand that you can't get a Gucci bag for $20 including shipping. And those that don't, will probably never know it's a counterfeit. Not saying it's right, but that's the way it works online. If you want to be 100% sure, your only way is always to walk into your local Gucci store.

With that said, I don't think there's any eCommerce platform open to sellers that's 100% free of counterfeits.

Quote:
Never forget it is the buyers that pay the fees - not as seems the case sellers.

If the buyers are happy they will generate fee income.

If the sellers are happy and the buyers are not you will get nothing

The sellers will always follow the buyers

That seems a concept that is lost on too many people on this forum
True, but it doesn't help if you want to follow the buyers onto eBay if you keep being suspended from selling on eBay and have to create accounts with other names just to sell another 10 items before being suspended again. And when eBay loses the person-to-person-sale feeling, they will lose a huge part of their success. eBay is taking care of their big sellers and doesn't care about the small sellers that brought them their success in the first place. If I want to buy from BUY.com or BestBuy, I don't need to go to eBay. Yet those are some of eBay's largest sellers. And where is Joe from Michigan or Sue from Texas? Somewhere on page 56 because they don't sell as much as BUY.com or BestBuy do. I bet those huge stores didn't have a 10 item per month selling limit for the first 3 months when they started out. Neither are they getting limited by PayPal when they withdraw more than $500 per day.

Sellers are also buyers. That's what eBay used to be, average people selling and buying. Not people buying from large corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
I was wondering if you could offer a bit more detail on the plans to promote the site? What is the budget you have in mind? Are you talking about Super Bowl promotions or a add click campaign How many years can your potential site survive with negative cash flow, while a customer base is being built up?

When Yahoo Actions closed down their US sites, they had less than 1% of market share.

The whole premise you seem to have is build a better mouse trap and the sellers will come. That's ass backwards. What the sellers think doesn't mean squat. The sellers need to go where the buyers are, period.

Most of the rules on E-Bay and Amazon are designed to empower the buyers and make them feel safe. These two sites have the most traffic and buyers, so what is it that you can offer to a buyer that Amazon and E-Bay aren't already offering. And if you do come up with some idea that will draw buyers off their sites, what's to stop them from just copying the idea?
It will be a combination of both online (targeted sites & communities) and offline advertising (print, television, billboards).

I think what sellers think means a lot. In my opinion, eBay is failing because they don't think about sellers enough. Sellers are not just sellers, they're also buyers. I remember a few years ago, many eBay sellers had just as much buyer feedback as they had seller feedback. These days, it's mostly 0 or little feedback buyers buying from sellers with 1000 seller feedback and no buyer feedback. The whole "community feeling" was lost and what's left of the eBay community is angry sellers complaining on their own message boards, with eBay moderators deleting posts left and right.

I think if sellers are happy with the website, they will also become the first buyers and therefor support the other sellers.

Obviously, I'm not saying we will beat eBay overnight. That's impossible. eBay will likely still be the biggest online marketplace for years to come. They've invested so heavily in their brand over the years and have become so well known that babies these days probably can say "eBay" before they can say "mommy" or "daddy". eBay is synonymous with "online auction".

We're not trying to beat eBay - we want to create an "alternative", something better, something worry-free. I can't promise that initially sellers will have the same amount of sales on our website as they've had on eBay. That's impossible. But I think we've got to start somewhere and do the best we can. There are several other marketplaces out there that are doing well, while not being as huge as eBay, such as Bonanza or Etsy.

I've launched 2 companies (one myself, one co-founded) that grew quite large before and believe it or not, the best traffic we got wasn't from advertising campaigns, but from direct referrals from happy and satisfied people.

Obviously, nobody can stop eBay from doing what we're doing. But are they willing to? Over the past years, they've shown that they're not. They don't care about their sellers or if they destroy an entire family's income just because Joe Smith listed 10 items too much. eBay's model is failing and it can't hurt to try and do it differently. I believe that if we care about our sellers, then our sellers will care about us
Old 09-09-2011

Longevity: 78%
Send a message via MSN to GTB Send a message via Yahoo to GTB

Quote:
In the nature of eCommerce, it's nearly impossible to keep counterfeit listings away. Until someone finds a way, of course, but so far apparently nobody has. I'm sure eBay doesn't mind. A huge percentage from their income comes from counterfeits, obviously. I think most buyers are knowledgeable enough to understand that you can't get a Gucci bag for $20 including shipping. And those that don't, will probably never know it's a counterfeit. Not saying it's right, but that's the way it works online. If you want to be 100% sure, your only way is always to walk into your local Gucci store.

With that said, I don't think there's any eCommerce platform open to sellers that's 100% free of counterfeits.

its good to know you have a lot of knowledge and common sense
Old 09-09-2011

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't sound like there is much of a plan to attract buyers from ebay. If buyers knew that you were on stealth sites asking for input, that would be a real tough sell, to put it mildly.
Old 09-09-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't sound like there is much of a plan to attract buyers from ebay. If buyers knew that you were on stealth sites asking for input, that would be a real tough sell, to put it mildly.
I'm not in the business of giving free marketing advice to potential competitors who might be reading these forums. I hope you understand that. Obviously, the plan isn't to purchase ads on eBay's front page saying "leave eBay, come here instead". There is a plan, but I'm just not comfortable sharing it with everyone on a public forum before the website has even launched. But I think improving and building on eBay's weak points is quite a good start in attracting eBay buyers and sellers alike.

Remember that this thread isn't about promoting the website. So as for asking on here for input, I think it's the perfect place. This forum is full of people who have suffered the most due to eBay's policies, and these are the people who know best what can be improved or done differently, and I'm very grateful for all the great advice I've received so far.
Old 09-09-2011

Good luck with your project.

If you think this is a appropriate source of ideas for a e-commerce site, hopefully you will give public credit for any ideas that you get from here.
Old 09-10-2011

In regards to tackling @@@@ goods - you could use DHGATE method of not releasing funds until buyer signes them off as ok.
If they are @@@@ and the buyer signes them off.
Keep track of customer complaints as eb does - and restrict the offending sellers.