Are Beginners welcome too? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself to the community!

Old 05-19-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 57%
Default Are Beginners welcome too?

Hi. An absolute newbie here. I have never sold anything on eBay, so, never been suspended. But I do want to get into the eBay business -- nice and slow... and guided by the experiences of the old-timers and the knowledgeable.

I just wanted to ask if I would still benefit in starting with a stealth account. Like any entrepreneur, I wish to see this new endeavor become bigger and successful in the future.

I guess indirectly, what I'm trying to ask is... are beginners who have never been suspended also welcome in this forum? Or am I better off sharing my real information from the get-go, since I'll probably be an insignificant eBayer for a while?

Thanks for all those who maintain this forum. I have been lurking around here the past week and have read tremendous invaluable information. I'm off to buy eBay Stealth to start my journey.

Thanks again.

Last edited by TGMT²; 05-19-2014 at 01:58 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%
Default Re: Are Beginners welcome too?

Absolutely, Everyone is welcomed!! Even if you have not been limited....this is the perfect place to be because you now have an upper hand on ebay.
Old 05-19-2014

Longevity: 76%

Welcome to the forum, good luck as you read around and learn! Lots of people here have posted information which is crucial to getting you up and running

Read around, use the search bar and then ask questions. Post a plan before you open accounts etc. might even be worth you buying one.
Old 05-19-2014

Longevity: 63%

Welcome! Out of curiosity, what made you look for a forum like this?
Old 05-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 72%

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Always happy to help
Old 05-19-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanks for all the warm welcome.

@GoteBay: I was doing some research for work on eBay's limits on buyers (for potential patent infringement) when I chanced upon this site. And the idea of selling on eBay has been brewing in my mind for years, but I never had the guts to start. I'm glad I haven't, or I would have been caught unprepared.
Old 05-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 63%

Hi Padawan

Welcome to the Forum. Good luck on your stealth accounts.
Old 05-20-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Warmly welcomed - all the best
Old 05-20-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Welcome, young Padawan,

Good Luck as you learn the stealth ways.

Old 05-20-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Welcome to the forums. One statement you made concerns me, regarding patent infringement. As an FYI, stealth is designed to make you invisible to PayPal, eBay and Amazon. It does NOT make you invisible to law enforcement. So, if the goal is to sell counterfeits, or otherwise illegal items, then you will encounter problems.

If that is what you are thinking, I would seriously urge you to think of other (legal) things to sell. There are SO MANY opportunities out there to make money legally, you do not have to resort to anything shady.

I'm not trying to discourage you, or to beat up on you. I started out thinking the same way, but I quickly discovered that selling foo-foo's was no way to build a stable, long-term business. I cleaned everything up and went 100% legitimate and never looked back. The end results have been worth it.

My best advice? Think of an item that you use in your daily life (you could use it once a day or once a month). Then see what it is selling for on eBay and Amazon. Can you get it cheaper? How much cheaper? Is there a profit margin there that makes sense?

In my experience, it is not the hot and sexy items that will make money. Everyone and his brother wants to sell the iPhones, electronics and movies - the cool stuff. The problem is, with so much competition, there is little profit in that. It is the lesser known, uncool, un-sexy items that will make you money. One thing I sell is gauze rolls. Many people use these for medical reasons, and they are usually expensive if you buy them locally. I found a medical supply wholesaler and bought a few cases and voila! PROFITS! The profit from any single item will probably not create an entire business for you, but hen you have 5, 10, 25 or more, then you are looking at some serious money. All of it legal and above board. You will sleep better at night knowing that there won't be a midnight knock on the door. And you can plan for the long term.

Some people sell books, or antiques, medical supplies, art posters, power tools, industrial equipment, or whatever. I know one person who actually makes money selling COMIC BOOKS! Remember those? Very HOT back in the 1980's, very DEAD right now, but there is still a market for it and my buddy exploited that market.

I prefer out of print books and movies. Why? Because my competition is limited and the profit margins can be high. I have made profits as high as 1,000%+ selling a used book (although that would be a rare case) and they probably average better than 50%, which is not bad. I also sell items like the gauze rolls I mentioned, just stuff that I came across in my daily life and thought "gee, I bet this might do well on eBay". To be sure, not every idea you have will work out. Research is key - for every 10 products I look at, maybe ONE will prove worthwhile. But do that enough times and you will start seeing some serious results.

Again, I want to point out that I am NOT trying to beat up the OP and I am NOT saying he is doing anything wrong or was going to do anything wrong. I'm simply trying to offer the benefits of my experience - I am PROOF that you don't have to do anything shady to make money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (05-20-2014), padawan (05-21-2014), rsot (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Default Are Beginners welcome too?

Jeffweico,

Thank you for taking the time to post your response. I think I was misunderstood. I have no intentions whatsoever to sell anything illegal or counterfeit. In fact, I don't know what to sell yet.

I work for an Intellectual Property Investment firm. We buy patents and work with the patent inventors. We own some patents that eBay may be infringing. That is how I chanced upon this site... I am doing research for work... for eBay's potential infringement of our patents. That is my day job.

There is great value to your post... especially on how to find things to sell. Thanks for the advice. But I think the part on counterfeit items may not be applicable to me.

Last edited by padawan; 05-21-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: clarification