eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   IP Address (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ip-address/)
-   -   Virgin Media Modem IP Change? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ip-address/34058-virgin-media-modem-ip-change.html)

oooSMOKYooo 07-16-2011 01:12 PM

Virgin Media Modem IP Change?

Hi

Has anyone had 100% working method for Virgin?
I have tryed ipconfig an all that but dosn't seem to work for me?

I have bought a 3G dongle but don't want to risk having the same ip come up in the future when i get things running again!
Whats the safest bet having diff dongle for each account, don't mind paying for it?

Thanks in advance

Ebayorbust 07-16-2011 01:15 PM

Just use the 3 dongle. You get a different ip every time you connect so there is no need for multiple dongles.

NotAHappyBunny 07-16-2011 05:01 PM

do you have a router linked to the modern?
if yes, this can be changed easily - giving you a new ip :clap:

oooSMOKYooo 07-16-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alps_a somewhatlegend (Post 249714)
As the man said above - its all good

Also, ideally you need to log you different IPs on each log on and check against the log to see if it has been used against a specific user.

I made a quick thread here - it may be a bit confusing for a newbie, so maybe keep it in mind for later - there are many threads on normal 'easy' IP logging... search and you will see.

Thanks for the heads up!

Yes have been logging the ip's through ipconfig everytime i log on in the past week but did read somewhere onhere that on Windows 7 it repeats itself after 20 or so times?

Couldn't access your post for some reason i am registered though?

Does sound like a dumb ass question but when i have diff accounts do i have to log out of that user into a new one or just switch user as it seems same programs are running in the background, ie windows messenger when i just switch user which leads me to believe i can get tracked through cookies on previous logged on account, or i have i just answered my own question lol?

Cheers

oooSMOKYooo 07-16-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAHappyBunny (Post 249737)
do you have a router linked to the modern?
if yes, this can be changed easily - giving you a new ip :clap:

Yes i do have a router connected but when i tryed with just my modem connected it was having none of it so i just phoned up VM saying my modem was broke and they have sent me a new modem which should have a new MAC/IP address which i will use on my new account, if you have a method/tutorial where i can change it with my netgear router and log all the ip's on diff accounts that would be fantastic matey!

Cheers.

NotAHappyBunny 07-17-2011 07:04 PM

you can change your router's mac address in the settings web page - find it for your model.
Just change the last couple of digits.
Power Off modern - wait 10 seconds - power back on.
Power of router - wait 1 minute - power back on.
Check your ip, it should be different - but may not always be new, so, be sure to keep a record of the ip's used and avoid repeating usage of them.

:yar:

paulo 07-18-2011 05:24 AM

I'm pretty sure virgin media has a long (7 day) lease time on their IP's so unless you leave your router off for over 7 days your stuck with the same address.

Also I am sure VM identifies you with your MAC details, therefor changing your MAC would mean you couldn't connect to their system.

The only real option for VM is a new superhub.

Bit as mentioned, a wireless dongle is so easy to use and a different IP each time which is a bonus!

NotAHappyBunny 07-19-2011 05:25 PM

i manage it all the time - but when changing frequently, i do get a lot of repeat ip's, so i have to re-set it over & over until I get some joy.

paulo 07-20-2011 09:11 AM

Interesting!

You using the superhub? I spoke with a VM engineer the other day and he couldn't find a way!

NotAHappyBunny 07-26-2011 03:12 PM

no - my modern is over 2 yrs old & my router is an even older standard model.

esbo 09-27-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulo (Post 250155)
I'm pretty sure virgin media has a long (7 day) lease time on their IP's so unless you leave your router off for over 7 days your stuck with the same address.

Also I am sure VM identifies you with your MAC details, therefor changing your MAC would mean you couldn't connect to their system.

The only real option for VM is a new superhub.

Bit as mentioned, a wireless dongle is so easy to use and a different IP each time which is a bonus!

I'm with VM, I had a modem which you could connect with either an Ethernet cable or a USB cable, both the USB and the ethernet bit (the network interface card) seemed to have their own mac address so I could get a different IP just by switching the cable from USB to Ethernet and vice versa.

So I would use the USB cable for a week then switch back to Ethernet to get a new IP address on the Ethernet port so basically I could get an new IP address every week (as the 7 day lease would have expired).

However I was having problems with low speeds and the engineer gave me a new modem, a netgear VMD280, this cured the speed problems but unfortunately only has one method of connection Ethernet which means I am stuck with the same IP :tears:

It works differently to my old modem so I don't think there is anyway to change my IP, I had though adding a second NIC card to my PC would work but I don't think so as it think it uses the routers IP to display to the world, which I don't think I can change. (but I will look into it).

However I don't see how VM could identify me before via my mac address as I had 2, but obviously they managed it!! I aslo bought some NICs network interfaace cards which each have their own mac address, I figured I could install a card to have a 3 mac address although I never bothered.

AS I said installing a NIC now won't help because the router assigns me the same 'local IP' and the routers IP is the one shown to the world.

So looks like I am stuck (but I will look into what I can do) however I have found I can get good proxy severs now, I just tried one and could watch video through it, something which always failed before.

So maybe these proxy servers will be good enough for me, however I like a real IP change every now and then because I feel like I am leaving fingerprints on every site I visit.

I am not suspended from ebay by the way I just found this forum accidently when looking for ideas. (what have you lot been up to!!)

Also this 3 dongle idea? Thais basically paying for expensive wireless connection? That's an expensive 'solution' might as well switch to a different ISP which allows you to change IP!!

NotAHappyBunny 09-28-2011 08:21 PM

Hi
£10-£15 p/m depending on usage - allows me to have ip peace of mind with the min effort & distruption to the family.
Small amount of money - considering I use it for multiple eb & pp accounts.

:pop2: