eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Payment Gateways (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/payment-gateways/)
-   -   Is Authorize.net best bet for accepting credit cards on eBay? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/payment-gateways/35714-authorize-net-best-bet-accepting-credit-cards-ebay.html)

leonardthemagician 08-23-2011 06:08 PM

Is Authorize.net best bet for accepting credit cards on eBay?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post at this forum but I have been looking for a while. I have been an eBay seller for the last decade or so and my PayPal account was taken away from me in the beginning of 2009. They told me I was too much of a risk and I haven't been able to sell through eBay since.

I'm interested in selling on eBay again and I have been shopping around. I just noticed today that you can only use one of three credit card processors through eBay, which I thought used to be open to more than just three. I can't accept PayPal for my merchant services because I'm "banned" from PayPal, and I called to get a quote from Cybersource, to be told they are $200 to setup + $35 a month + $25 minimum fees per month...this is too expensive. I suppose I'm left with Authorize.net as my only real option, because they were only $100 to set up, and $17.50 a month (or something along those lines).

My question is, are these really my only options for accepting credit cards on eBay? And also, is Authorize.net going to be the least expensive option, or are there actually a lot of hidden fees that I'm not realizing?

I've tried to sell through Moneybookers, but no one uses it, and even then they are holding 50% of my money for 2 months while I establish the account. This is also too expensive, even if I get the money back after two months. I believe ProPay has an expensive per month cost, and the other payment option won't even let me register unless I have recent sales (which I can't get because everyone does the same thing). So I have tried the other options and I think my best bet is getting a credit card processor, if I want to continue my sales on eBay at all.

Thanks for reading. I hope someone can help me figure out the right way to go from here.

leonardthemagician 08-24-2011 12:12 PM

Apparently all eBay needs is a Payment Gateway (in this case for Authorize.net), an "API login name" and a "Transaction key". The way eBay made it sound, you had to buy the service from the links they provided. The cost was $100 setup, $60 per month minimum cost. I read about other people already having their Authorize.net accounts and I realized I was crazy to spend that much.

So I started searching for Authorize.net payment gateways and I found one website Authorize.net Gateway and Free Merchant Account that offers a gateway fee for $13.99, statement for $8.95 and rates at 2.04% (no mention of minimum). I figure the easiest way for me to get onto eBay is with a merchant account, but are there others out there for Authorize.net that are even less expensive? I have read about people getting rates at 1% and some said 0.2%, but that is a pipe dream.

Am I right about this? All I need is Authorize.net as the payment gateway? If I'm only using this for eBay, do I need anything else? A merchant account with someone associated with Authorize.net is ok, correct?

derrick 10-22-2011 11:27 AM

i love authorize.net and have been using it for years, at least 5 and counting

just_a_visitor 08-29-2017 08:30 AM

Re: Is Authorize.net best bet for accepting credit cards on eBay?

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonardthemagician (Post 262365)
Apparently all eBay needs is a Payment Gateway (in this case for Authorize.net), an "API login name" and a "Transaction key".

Am I right about this? All I need is Authorize.net as the payment gateway? If I'm only using this for eBay, do I need anything else? A merchant account with someone associated with Authorize.net is ok, correct?

Hi there,
I was looking for the answers to my questions similar to yours above, when I came across of your post. As it was asked over 5 years ago, I believe you found a solution already. Could you pls share your knowledge and experience?
Is it possible to sell with Authorize.net on eBay (i.e. do customers agree to pay anything different from Paypal?) and do you need a merchant account or gateway only is sufficient?
Thank you!!