eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Paypal Limited (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-limited/)
-   -   PayPal - Your access has been limited (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-limited/10504-paypal-your-access-has-been-limited.html)

aspkin 04-20-2009 11:24 PM

PayPal - Your access has been limited

Weak... got this email a couple minutes ago.. the dreaded 'PayPal - Your access has been limited' email.

"Pay-PaI" <paypal.service@f-secure.com>

It's ⊗⊗⊗⊗ obviously.. the headers point to bogus website..

No text was used, only this image with a direct link to the bogus website.. an easy way to click on it I must say, they must have a higher conversion rate:

http://aspkin.com/images/papalspoof.PNG

GreenBean 04-20-2009 11:33 PM

Bullcrap. I have one as well. Just about to post to advise.:fight:

jesseinkaron 04-21-2009 12:50 AM

Could members of this site have been directly targeted ?

2 of the most senior members get the same spoof email , I wonder how many others? A forum full of people who make a living with ebay and paypal seems to be an excellent place for a scammer to target ?

Vicvelcro 04-21-2009 01:15 AM

I didn't get anything like this in ANY of my accounts. Guess I'm just not popular enough... Somebody be my friend <sniffle>.

lakeman 04-21-2009 07:00 AM

I have got 3 of those within the last two weeks. They weren't that exact notice but just like it, and also ⊗⊗⊗⊗. :croc:

nobody999 04-21-2009 08:50 AM

that one is usually easier to spot as a spoof...the harder ones are the ones with your actual name on it!!! i've had some spoofs where it starts with my real paypal name!! i get freaked out and type paypal directly on the web browser and log into my account. when i see that there's no limitation or suspension i am relived, but thinking, someone actually knows my name and they are trying to get my info....just be careful out there for spoofs with your real name!

ebaykilla 04-21-2009 09:14 AM

i wonder if paypal employees have something to do with it....hmnnnn

and it is with these scumbags i am supposed to give my SS# and it is 100% secure on paypal's servers! YEAH RIGHT!

EbayFreak 04-21-2009 09:22 AM

I get them every week, funny that people still believe in this crap. 9/10 times we can look for a server from Nigeria. Will never stop, and they get better and better.

NO ID 04-21-2009 09:55 AM

well its either that or modern day pirates - how else are they to make money?? LOL

nobody999 04-21-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebaykilla (Post 83951)
i wonder if paypal employees have something to do with it....hmnnnn

and it is with these scumbags i am supposed to give my SS# and it is 100% secure on paypal's servers! YEAH RIGHT!

i don't think it's paypal, perhaps maybe a disgruntled buyer?

GreenBean 04-21-2009 09:52 PM

A disgruntled buyer? Man that suxs. I already crawl far enough up certain places....:fight:

JohnnyBoy 04-21-2009 10:44 PM

I did get a break in the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ paypal emails, but I just got two today that ended up in my inbox instead of spam folder. One was the same aspkin got except it was all text and not image. Both emails redirecting to payifdopal dot com. Gave me a lil scare at first.

lakeman 04-22-2009 06:44 AM

I also got the same one Aspkin posted, a little later after I posted. How are these scammers getting everyone's email? It would make sense if they were a previous buyer, but for most of us to all get the same email means that's not the reason.

ebaykilla 04-22-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody999 (Post 84090)
i don't think it's paypal, perhaps maybe a disgruntled buyer?

I def think it is a paypal insider who sells our info to scammers or they get hacked for our info. How else do they they our full names?? A disgruntled buyer theory dose'nt make sense to me.

Vicvelcro 04-22-2009 11:25 AM

Maybe PP was hacked externally and they're keeping a lid on it. Maybe they were hacked internally, keeping a lid on it, and preparing the firing squad. Maybe it is PP intentionally trying to find people using SPOOF/SPAM as a masquerade...???...

Think about it for a moment. How many people change IP *BEFORE* they see this email. It could have a beacon. You might blow it off thinking "Obvious Spoof" and just delete it. Well, maybe there's an ulterior motive.

I can't quite figure out how to properly word a clear explanation, but I know what I'm trying to say. How frustrating...

ebaykilla 04-22-2009 11:57 AM

I don't Paypal is spoofing us. That could land them in hot water if discovered that their company purposely dose this. Not worth the risk.

Vicvelcro 04-22-2009 12:04 PM

Maybe they are hiding behind 3rd parties. I remember very well when McAffee did this back in the '80s. Seems they hired the hacker who authored the Dark Avenger. To boost sales. Seems they did it with others, too. Why not PP do it as a random roundup of the Rogues Gallery?

I'm not by any means saying it is probable. Only suggesting it is possible. Doesn't hurt to be cautious and try to cover all bases.

ebaykilla 04-22-2009 02:28 PM

That would be the dumbest move ever because their business relies on being "credible".

Vicvelcro 04-22-2009 02:59 PM

Tell that to McAffee. If they were dumb enough to hire 3rd parties, repeatedly (google it), for malice and profit, what makes you think it wouldn't work for PP and why do you think the idea couldn't have occurred to them?

I would be surprised if they hadn't at least kicked it around the conference room. I would be mildly (but not very) surprised if someday it comes out that such a thing DID happen.

When you say 'dumbest move', consider who we're talking about... And 'credible'... only the sheeple still associate that word with PP. Those of us here already know better, at least partially.

Again, I would agree if you were to deem it UNLIKELY that they would participate. I disagree with anyone who would say IMPOSSIBLE. I repeat: Google up the scandal between McAffee, Dark Avenger Trojan and the Fish Virus. That will lead you all over the place reading about related things McAffee did for more than a decade and more than just a handful of instances. Then consider again what PP might do, in regard to rounding up 'the gang'. PP hijacked my browser more than once. They'll do it again. Why should I not consider that they just might try trick me via 3rd parties?

What's wrong with considering it a possibility and then attempting to be prepared?
What are the odds of something happening to your car? You house? Your health?
Don't you at least WANT to keep insurance on your car, your house, and your health?
Do you take chances with any of those, even though you doubt anything bad is IMMINENTLY about to happen at any given moment?
I would put money on you applying CYA in most things you do. If that's a bet I would end up losing, well I'm floored!

aspkin 04-22-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebaykilla (Post 84160)
I def think it is a paypal insider who sells our info to scammers or they get hacked for our info. How else do they they our full names?? A disgruntled buyer theory dose'nt make sense to me.

It's easy to find a person's name from email. I sometimes ask people to send me an email, and with their email I just look at the 'from' area, it usually has their name and email address there. Most people forget this information goes out with each email they send.

It's not fool proof though, only about 1/3 of the time you'll have a solid name attached to an email. It's interesting, I like when a person gives me 2-3 ⊗⊗⊗⊗ names when sending me funds. It just screams fraud.

I'm sure these spoof email guys know a way to get your name by email, it's pretty easy as I just pointed out.

oompaloompa 09-26-2009 10:33 AM

Approve Or Cancel Your Order‏
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent:
To: @hotmail.com

Dear @hotmail.com ,

This email confirms that you have paid Best Buy (sales@bestbuy.com) $8,105.99 using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL LWPELECTRONICS*".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PayPal Shopping Cart Contents

Item Name: Panasonic Toughbook 30 - Core 2 Duo L7500 1.6 GHz - 13.3" TFT
Quantity: 1

Total: $8,105.99

Cart Subtotal: $8,989.99
Shipping Charge: $20.00 USD
Cart Total: $8,105.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shipping Information

Shipping Info: Elvin G. Edwards
2801 Flynn Street
Ashtabula
OH 44004
United States

Address Status: Unconfirmed

If you haven't authorized this charge, click the link below to cancel the payment and get a full refund.

Dispute Transaction

oompaloompa 09-26-2009 10:37 AM

always make me nervous ^^^^ never know if account genuinely hacked or phishing email............

I think paypal employees are involved which is worrying because bank details are on there...Ive only ever got these emails on accounts attached to paypal, so not randomly sent out