paypal alternative Authorize.net - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk > Paypal Limited

Paypal Limited PayPal Limited Account – A general forum on PayPal limitations and how to either lift them or create new accounts.

Old 10-19-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: paypal alternative Authorize.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Wait are you saying you put in the authorize.net api credentials on ebay but wasn't able to use it cause you still need paypal?

Or were you trying to accept paypal as well as authorize (have best of both worlds and more sales)..

If it's the latter then it won't work, but if you were trying to use authorize as alternate to paypal on ebay, that will work right?
Authorize.net has an option to link a paypal account through them. You put it in and Authorize.net runs the transactions through paypal. You have to just link the account. Its under the digital payment solution in settings. It looks like Authorize.net then becomes a gateway for paypal.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-19-2017

Longevity: 63%

Ok I just askied authorize.net and all it is is allowing your paypal transactions to show in authorize.net basically for reporting reasons.
Old 10-19-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Wait are you saying you put in the authorize.net api credentials on ebay but wasn't able to use it cause you still need paypal?

Or were you trying to accept paypal as well as authorize (have best of both worlds and more sales)..

If it's the latter then it won't work, but if you were trying to use authorize as alternate to paypal on ebay, that will work right?
Yes, auth.net works perfectly fine for eBay.

What I was talking about was linking a PP account to your Auth.net account. Auth.net makes it seem like you can link your PP business account to your Auth.net account and then process PP payments through your Auth.net account without having to link the PP to your eBay account. But that's not the case. As storm's recent post confirms, it's a worthless feature which just makes your PP transactions show up in your Auth.net transactions.
Old 10-19-2017
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1204 View Post
Authorize.net has an option to link a paypal account through them. You put it in and Authorize.net runs the transactions through paypal. You have to just link the account. Its under the digital payment solution in settings. It looks like Authorize.net then becomes a gateway for paypal.
That's exactly what I thought a year ago when I noticed it, but I quickly came to the same realization as you recently have lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
rsot (10-19-2017)
Old 10-23-2017

Longevity: 74%

Hi guys, any good craftsmen here I need docs for PayPal please help thank you pm me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpennell View Post
Hi guys, any good craftsmen here I need docs for PayPal please help thank you pm me

Contact the seller "elmo" in the account marketplace here. He can help you with that.
jpennell (10-24-2017)
Old 10-25-2017
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
Yes, auth.net works perfectly fine for eBay.
My experience is that it may work fine on a PC, but the mobile apps can not process payments through authorize.net. The majority of my customers can't figure out how to log on with a browser.
Is this not the case for other people?
Old 11-02-2017
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairbuilder View Post
My experience is that it may work fine on a PC, but the mobile apps can not process payments through authorize.net. The majority of my customers can't figure out how to log on with a browser.
THat's pretty bad cause most purchases on ebay is via mobile apps. i'm guessing (cause web platforms such bigcommerce and shopify) sales are happening on mobile apps. I had to disable email newsletter popup because it was affecting mobile apps and decrease in sales so I hope that isn't the cause with authorize.net and ebay mobile.

Hmm.. might have to check myself as a buyer on my own shop
Old 11-03-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairbuilder View Post
This has always been the case for me as well. If you browse some of my other posts RE Auth.net, I constantly complain about how useless they are for eBay. I get maybe 5% of the sales I would get with PP.
Old 11-03-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
This has always been the case for me as well. If you browse some of my other posts RE Auth.net, I constantly complain about how useless they are for eBay. I get maybe 5% of the sales I would get with PP.
So your saying most people are using ebay mobile app to make purchase and when it comes to checkout with authorize, the pop up menu poses problem?

And even issues if it was via mobile browser?

I wonder if ebay did this on purpose so they want paypal to be exclusive but then again they want the sale to so not sure if i should even consider selling on ebay which is legit account but has authorize not paypal..

Seeing your image on your signature says authorize.net makes it feel this bad news is real news :(
Old 11-03-2017
Threadstarter  

But then again, if it's niche item that is catered to hungry buyers, it might still work as buyers tend to be persistent on getting what they want. So my specific ebay niche , might still survive.
Old 11-03-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

I wonder if ebay did this on purpose so they want paypal to be exclusive but then again they want the sale to so not sure if i should even consider selling on ebay which is legit account but has authorize not paypal..
I really, really think so.

Auth.net doesn't work with any form of mobile eBay. Mobile browser or mobile App. If customers try to pay from the eBay App and the seller only accepts Auth.net, the customer used to get a generic error message which didn't give any details. Just recently the error message has started telling buyers to try again from the desktop version of eBay.

Even still, the vast majority of buyers don't want to go through all that trouble. So they remove the item from their cart and purchase from another seller.

A lot of those who are willing to switch to their desktop are turned off by the lack of Paypal. They think they're giving their credit card info directly to some eBay seller. In reality Auth.net only shows the last 4 digits of CC #'s and everything else is pretty much the same as Paypal. I try to explain it to customers by saying Auth.net performs exactly the same service as Paypal without the added security risk of having your financial details stored on some Paypal server somewhere. Most don't buy that, lol.

Are you using a merchant account now?
Old 11-03-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
But then again, if it's niche item that is catered to hungry buyers, it might still work as buyers tend to be persistent on getting what they want. So my specific ebay niche , might still survive.

I seriously doubt it to be honest. I thought the same thing since my sales volume was so high when I made the switch.

Go for it, but also start listing your stuff on another account which still accepts PP.
Old 11-03-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I really, really think so.

Auth.net doesn't work with any form of mobile eBay. Mobile browser or mobile App. If customers try to pay from the eBay App and the seller only accepts Auth.net, the customer used to get a generic error message which didn't give any details. Just recently the error message has started telling buyers to try again from the desktop version of eBay.

Even still, the vast majority of buyers don't want to go through all that trouble. So they remove the item from their cart and purchase from another seller.

A lot of those who are willing to switch to their desktop are turned off by the lack of Paypal. They think they're giving their credit card info directly to some eBay seller. In reality Auth.net only shows the last 4 digits of CC #'s and everything else is pretty much the same as Paypal. I try to explain it to customers by saying Auth.net performs exactly the same service as Paypal without the added security risk of having your financial details stored on some Paypal server somewhere. Most don't buy that, lol.

Are you using a merchant account now?
Well, I appreciate you are the "authorize" guy (the fact you have the image on bottom says you are passionate about authorize (j.k)

As mentioned mobile shopping is higher then desktop so guess having the shop all connected with authorize linked destroys the purpose of running ebay now. It's a side hobby gig for me as I wanted to use my art degree to use but now seems this is gonna little more of a hassle.

Ebay definitely monoplozing and not allowing authorize to take piece of the pie.

I am a merchant but run own domains and customers don't mind providing cc numbers usually when it's own domain as I'm getting many transactions , but really wanted to use my legit ebay account that has many feedbacks and continue from 4 years of being suspended.

I don't wanna go the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ pp account which is why i wanted to incorporate authorize.net but guess, I'll just have to do some tests on listings and see if it generates or not. Sales will be dramatically lower i'm sure but this will be a good test to see buyer behavior directly.

Would be nice if they had some stats or app that shows people opting out on checkouts (like abandon checkout) which may be strong indicator they got frustrated with payment.

Authorize doesn't care it's not getting much of ebay as many merchants outisde are using them so guess not much fighting there.

Anyways, i do believe though that if your item is one of a kind of item, buyers will go to do desktop version. I used to have a very niche related items and buyers would be so hungry to get the item they would ask to wait for their funds to clear , please hold one item for me , etc...
So, there is ways around this to generate but should be nice to see what happens.

Meanwhile, I'll try to get my paypal again. lol 17 years they give me the axe. Feel like someone who can't get over their ex hahahah
Old 11-03-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I seriously doubt it to be honest. I thought the same thing since my sales volume was so high when I made the switch.

Go for it, but also start listing your stuff on another account which still accepts PP.
So you have shop accepting only authorize? is it working out ..
Wondering if anyone can address the mobile checkout error to ebay .. or do they not care or authorize.net is becoming more scarce on ebay.

Back in the days i would say 5% of ebay sellers used this so I'm guessing its more like 1% now:?
Old 11-03-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpennell View Post

You can also pm moderators (purple names) for guidance.
Old 11-04-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:

Was doing some short searching and saw mobile ebay app sales aren't the majority. So that's good news for authorize folks (1 percenters?)
Old 11-04-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Was doing some short searching and saw mobile ebay app sales aren't the majority. So that's good news for authorize folks (1 percenters?)
That's gotta be outdated information. In 2013 it was something like 25% of sales came from mobile (for me) but it's steadily increased since then. In Paypal I'm pretty sure there's an option somewhere to see how many sales come from mobile vs. desktop.

I think it's far less than 1% of sellers using Auth.net. For me to find any other sellers I had to Google something like "Authorize.net eBay". Found a guy selling phake beats. Pretty obvious he made the switch after PP requested supplier invoices.

While you can't see "abandoned checkout" stats like on a real website, you will quickly end up with tons of unpaid orders. Make sure you turn on Unpaid Item Assistant and set it to open cases after 2 days, because most buyers aren't going to pay. I hope you have better results than I have but I don't want to get your hopes up.

Jeffweico or someone else a while back was talking about how eBay and Paypal had an agreement when they split which says eBay has to send Paypal a certain percentage of their payments, otherwise eBay must pay Paypal the difference at the end of each year. I don't know if that's true, but it would explain why Auth.net is virtually incompatible with eBay.
ebaystealth1974 (11-04-2017)
Old 11-05-2017
Threadstarter  

Whoa that's pretty in depth, That's news to me. Didn't realize auth had some agreement with ebay. Well, I'll go custom route and make my items so niche it will be exclusively on ebay and my own site and see how it goes. If there is no bite then I'll just preserve my account as i'm just glad i have it .. (gonna try being persistent on paypal reinstating as that's how i got my ebay back. But i'm sure not the same but still will try.

If you are less then 1% like me, how come you are still engrossed with authorize? And still with them?

You gotta keep in mind that even though percentage of mobile is getting higher.. new buyers are still growing too so it's not complete loss. Lets continue being the .000756% users out there lol

But side serious question.

I'm with paymentcech chase and let say for some reason, authorize limits me or bans me... I was told that since authorize is a middle man in the transaction, I can find another processor bank that uses with authorize and sign with them again?

When logging to authorize.net i see my credentials etc and wondering if chase paymentech in this case relays information that I'm no good.

I sell legit items on my two domains but preparing for worse case scenario as you know things are never guaranteed. And also, i'm very pleased with authorize.net

Quote:
That's gotta be outdated information. In 2013 it was something like 25% of sales came from mobile (for me) but it's steadily increased since then. In Paypal I'm pretty sure there's an option somewhere to see how many sales come from mobile vs. desktop.

I think it's far less than 1% of sellers using Auth.net. For me to find any other sellers I had to Google something like "Authorize.net eBay". Found a guy selling phake beats. Pretty obvious he made the switch after PP requested supplier invoices.

While you can't see "abandoned checkout" stats like on a real website, you will quickly end up with tons of unpaid orders. Make sure you turn on Unpaid Item Assistant and set it to open cases after 2 days, because most buyers aren't going to pay. I hope you have better results than I have but I don't want to get your hopes up.

Jeffweico or someone else a while back was talking about how eBay and Paypal had an agreement when they split which says eBay has to send Paypal a certain percentage of their payments, otherwise eBay must pay Paypal the difference at the end of each year. I don't know if that's true, but it would explain why Auth.net is virtually incompatible with eBay.
Old 11-05-2017
Executive [VIP]

Noticed this question:
If you are less then 1% like me, how come you are still engrossed with authorize? And still with them?

For me it is/was a lack of options and not a choice. The account I attached Auth.net to used to get tons of wholesale orders whenever it accepted Paypal. So I figured it would be worth the trouble to keep bigger customers. As soon as I started with Auth.net though I started migrating listings over to other accounts which still have PP. I simply can't rely on the tiny amount of cash flow I get from the Auth.net account.

I'm a fan, but not because of their terrible performance on eBay. I use Auth.net daily to bill customers directly from my website - and it's awesome because they've yet to question any of my large transactions. That, and I thought it would be cool to be the only member with an image sig.

Authorize, in this role, is serving as your payment gateway and not your merchant account. If anything ever happens to your Auth account (doubtful) you could most likely switch to one of the other 3 gateways accepted by eBay.

However, it's far more likely you'll have problems with Chase (your merchant account) since they are the ones taking all the risk by processing your payments. Auth.net is just sending Chase the payment information for processing. Even the chances of that happening are slim though.

Last edited by phaz0rz; 11-05-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-05-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Noticed this question:

For me it is/was a lack of options and not a choice. The account I attached Auth.net to used to get tons of wholesale orders whenever it accepted Paypal. So I figured it would be worth the trouble to keep bigger customers. As soon as I started with Auth.net though I started migrating listings over to other accounts which still have PP. I simply can't rely on the tiny amount of cash flow I get from the Auth.net account.

I'm a fan, but not because of their terrible performance on eBay. I use Auth.net daily to bill customers directly from my website - and it's awesome because they've yet to question any of my large transactions. That, and I thought it would be cool to be the only member with an image sig.

Authorize, in this role, is serving as your payment gateway and not your merchant account. If anything ever happens to your Auth account (doubtful) you could most likely switch to one of the other 3 gateways accepted by eBay.

However, it's far more likely you'll have problems with Chase (your merchant account) since they are the ones taking all the risk by processing your payments. Auth.net is just sending Chase the payment information for processing. Even the chances of that happening are slim though.
Wish I can turn back the clock and preserve my paypal as well but having this for so many years without a problem didn't think it would be just shut off abrubtly. Have you tried getting paypal back through their appeal process? It's funny that ebay let me back in after 4 years of being banned this year. Then paypal bans me. Can't have it all lol..

The other 3 gateways accepted by ebay you are referring to , I'm sure it's limited in mobile ebay as well?

Paypal seems more strict then authorize but not sure yet as it's my first year using authorize. Not sure why that is the case..

I'm gonna go ahead and list accordingly and keep you posted on any sales, should be fun hobby lol

Last edited by nakamuru; 11-05-2017 at 05:02 PM.