eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   Canadian Paypal obligations for TAX and the CRA (Canuck thread) (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/112894-canadian-paypal-obligations-tax-cra-canuck-thread.html)

Canadianleaf 12-12-2017 12:36 PM

Canadian Paypal obligations for TAX and the CRA (Canuck thread)

:canada:

There are many threads pertaining to SSN requirements at $20,000 / 200 for the IRS but I see very little info for Canada.

All law abiding Canadian sellers will have Business Number "BN" with the CRA. You should be familiar with this especially if you collect and remit GST/HST because this number is used when you remit taxes. Whether your legal business structure is a sole proprietor, partnership or corporation each Canadian can only have one BN. The only way to have more than one BN is having multiple corporations. Since a corporation is its own entity, each corp has its own BN.

Since you can only have one BN, getting a new BN requires forming a corporation. This is not a cheap or easy task. Whether its provincial or federal you are looking at ~$400 just to incorporate. You're filling situation just got x10 more complicated and you are looking at minimum ~$1000 / year in accountant fees for filling corporate returns.

Does Paypal ever require a Business Number "BN" or SIN number? Is there any sort of similar threshold for Paypal in Canada where a BN or SIN is required as seen with Americans for the IRS?

If Paypal requires a BN and you have a suspended account with your BN supplied you cannot reuse this or you will be linked.

Canadians, how do you overcome BN requirements? Did you undertake the onerous task if forming a corporation for a fresh BN? If you have multiple accounts did you provide a BN for each account? What is your current situation regarding stealth, GST/HST collection, BN requirements or any general tax headaches how are you overcoming these hurdles?

:canada:

phaz0rz 12-12-2017 02:45 PM

Re: Canadian Paypal obligations for TAX and the CRA (Canuck thread)

I'm curious about any Canadian reporting threshold as well.

I've been selling on a couple CA accounts for over a year, one with over 500 sales.

Canadianleaf 12-12-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaz0rz (Post 889781)
I'm curious about any Canadian reporting threshold as well.

I've been selling on a couple CA accounts for over a year, one with over 500 sales.

Yes, hopefully others can chime in.

phaz0rz 12-13-2017 08:52 AM

Bump for the leafs.

hattmall 02-11-2018 03:25 AM

Also curious, does anyone have any recent info, seems like a new law may have recently passed.

phaz0rz 02-11-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hattmall (Post 900592)
Also curious, does anyone have any recent info, seems like a new law may have recently passed.

Source?

Also, bump..

rsot 02-11-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hattmall (Post 900592)

What new law hattmall? Be specific please. Nothing came across my plate....

hattmall 02-14-2018 05:41 PM

ahsan7 02-14-2018 07:29 PM

I've been using a stealth Canadian account and has just under 15k in sales. And as far as I know, PayPal doesn't ask for the sin as it's apparently a law prevents them from asking for it unlike ssn
and the info in the article above is a couple months old. I had gotten that email from paypal in like september or so if I recall correctly