eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   F&F Scam (Advice Needed) (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/116976-f-f-scam-advice-needed.html)

darkknightrisess 04-25-2018 06:00 AM

F&F Scam (Advice Needed)

I knew a work colleague for many years and she seemed nice and genuine. Long story short, she was planning a group holiday for the following year and asked a few people in the office to pay a share each to go away for two weeks.
This was way back in 2015.

My share was £800 and she asked me to Pay it upfront, I had the money in Paypal already from previous sales and thought I needed a break and the holiday was just over a year away so would have spending money arranged in plenty of time. She didn't have Facebook so used her Partner's facebook to communicate and arrange things. Everything seemed normal.

Fast forward ten months and in 2016, days passed and she wasn't at work. When I asked where she was, my manager said she had relocated and had a new job somewhere else. Panicking about the holiday and the funds I sent her, I tried phoning her number blocked, I checked Facebook , deactivated. Name changed too.

That evening I rushed home and phoned Paypal customer services, we can't help sir, this was fraud in my eyes and they said they couldn't help. Because the payment had been made 10 months earlier they couldn't do anything, because the funds were sent as friends & family it was a 'GIFT' payment , I never explicitly stated what I was buying when I sent the Paypal payment, I communicated everything on Facebook but as mentioned it was deactivated, I never met her partner. Did she even have a partner, who knows. All i had was now a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ changed named on the Facebook account, and no profile photo on it.

I've found her on social media and attempted to get my money back and nothing, I've even contacted her work colleagues to say what she did to me.
I've even posted her photos on the company website so people know she is a thief. Just to get my money back and nothing, what are my options.

1. Can the Police investigate when this was many years ago? I've heard of statue of limitations with cases and wondered if I've missed the window.
2. I sent the funds as a gift. Legally am I at fault, would the Police look at me with well you made the payment that way you need to take the blame.
3. Would this woman had to have scammed more than me to get Police and the courts involved?
4. Small claims might not be an option cause again the length of time.
5. Friends of mine said I could be done for harassment contacting her work place and posting on her companies website, is this true.

Any advice welcome

JamesNorth101 04-25-2018 12:11 PM

Re: F&F Scam (Advice Needed)

I would just take her to small claims court

Its only been 10 months so time isnt an issue

rsot 04-25-2018 12:30 PM

Welcome to the forums - all the best as you master stealth :thumb: (main scope of the forum....)

@James, 10 months? OP says 2016...we are now 2018....

JamesNorth101 04-25-2018 12:31 PM

Your right!

I read this bit

Quote:

10 months earlier they couldn't do anything, because the funds were sent as friends & family it was a 'GIFT' payment
OP - Why have you waited so long?

Time should still be fine though :)

rsot 04-25-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 (Post 916764)
Your right!

I read this bit

OP - Why have you waited so long?

Time should still be fine though :)

All good :) OP needs to seek legal counsel and law enforcement - 2016 to 2018 is a long time to wait but you never know what they say if OP has proof....

slapped 04-25-2018 01:25 PM

although Im not familiar with UK Law I tend to believe that you can still file a Police report, and file a case in court with out any major obstacles, if for no other reason do it for the simple satisfaction of NOT allowing her to get away with it

dallis 04-25-2018 02:47 PM

How far away is she? Maybe it's time for a personal visit, and a face to face talk... maybe you could get a cop to come along, just for fun, as you serve her.

Yes, I would pursue it, it's a matter of principal at this point, and I will follow a matter of principal to the bitter end.

Don't malign her at her job though, if she gets fired she may sue YOU! Remember, this is a professional scammer.

And, I probably don't need to say it, but don't do anything like this ever again, this was beyond naive. Handle your own travel arrangements in the future.

rsot 04-25-2018 07:35 PM

OP might be one of those one-and-done posters...

Thromparsus 04-26-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 916793)
OP might be one of those one-and-done posters...

What's the point of such a post?

rsot 04-26-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thromparsus (Post 916851)
What's the point of such a post?

Maybe the OP wanted to vent? I don't know - you should pm the OP

darkknightrisess 04-26-2018 09:49 AM

thanks for the help guys

Thromparsus 04-26-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 916853)
Maybe the OP wanted to vent? I don't know - you should pm the OP

LOL. I was very obviously talking about your post! I can't believe that one went right over your head.

And as you'll see above, he did indeed return... after you gave it barely more than a day since his original post. LMAO

SaiJin 04-26-2018 12:09 PM

At this point I just feel that you got nothing to lose. Might as well just take it to the police and get advice from them.

And even call paypal and talk to their manager and see what they say

Obviously your mistake is waiting this long.

H4ck 04-26-2018 02:02 PM

go do a background check and drive to where she lives and knock on the door and talk to her directly.

:fight:

dallis 04-26-2018 05:29 PM

That's what I'm thinking. Face to face. Hard to ignore.

slapped 04-27-2018 08:33 AM

If you are not a firm minded person a face to face will only put you in a position to let her BullSh^t you which might end up with you believing whatever crap she decides to spew your way leaving you WITHOUT your money. An "invitation" to discuss the mater in a court of law will prevent any of that. IMHO

rsot 04-27-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thromparsus (Post 916882)
LOL. I was very obviously talking about your post! I can't believe that one went right over your head.

And as you'll see above, he did indeed return... after you gave it barely more than a day since his original post. LMAO

Thanks for the friday chuckle Thromparsus :thumb: