eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   PayPal ID Document Verification Process (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/125102-paypal-id-document-verification-process.html)

amy3169 03-30-2019 12:25 PM

PayPal ID Document Verification Process

Hello,

I'm doing research on privacy and fraud.

Is it in the public domain as to how Paypal verifies ID documents submitted to them?

Do they look at the submitted document and decide whether it is photoshopped or real OR do they contact the actual issuing government agency?

If they contact, aren't government agencies legally barred from giving out such info to non-government private companies?

In view of these how do they really verify the ID documents submitted to them?

All feedbacks are appreciated.

Leader2dark 03-30-2019 12:50 PM

Re: PayPal ID Document Verification Process

I would LOVE to know more about his process as well.

My current understanding is in the USA they can't see things like drivers licenses database. But I could be wrong. Also, each State may be different.

For stuff like SS/Tax numbers, those can be checked with the IRS for obvious reasons.

When I submitted my a creative ID(first time ever), it was accepted within 10 minutes and account restrictions removed. Then about 3 weeks later the account with perm limited and they specifically told me the ID was ⊗⊗⊗⊗ when I called in. So they did somehow figure it out. This was a drivers license.

They may have also done a more detailed check in my case, because I was selling a lot. Also the ID may have had flaws. I forgot to put the full zip code for example.

james_112233 03-30-2019 12:56 PM

Many people pass verifications and others don't.

That tells me it's all dependent on the agent reviewing your account and whether they have sharp eyes that can tell. I highly doubt they use government agencies. But then again what on earth do I know ...

Leader2dark 03-30-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_112233 (Post 990191)
Many people pass verifications and others don't.

That tells me it's all dependent on the agent reviewing your account and whether they have sharp eyes that can tell. I highly doubt they use government agencies. But then again what on earth do I know ...

They do use some government agencies. You can't just put in a random SS number and have it work. That for sure gets checked out.

To use a PayPal balance now requires this.

agent006140 03-30-2019 01:01 PM

they manage to verify passports,driver license.
With EU countries,Paypal has to comply asking for ID,driver license etc if you have accepted more than certain amount,so if it is govt law,it must have ways to verify.
And Paypal UK can and verify driver license

just_smile 03-30-2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent006140 (Post 990195)
And Paypal UK can and verify driver license

Please elaborate :)

amy3169 03-30-2019 01:24 PM

Does anyone know the process for this in Australia and Turkey? Paypal AU, Paypal Turkey. Paypal Turkey has been closed down though.

Also these checks are done through local Paypal, Paypal USA or Paypal Singapore?

agent006140 03-30-2019 02:22 PM

dunno,you have to ask Paypal

amy3169 03-30-2019 07:00 PM

Problem with that is that how do you know if they are telling the truth. Why don't they do all their verification when you sign up? Is it because no one will want to sign up? But when people have funds in the account they suspend the account as they please and ask private government issued ID to be supplied to them no questions asked. Who guarantees that Paypal employees who view these IDs won't misuse them?

agent006140 03-30-2019 07:30 PM

not everyone who has fund in their accounts are asked.

amy3169 03-30-2019 07:41 PM

Correct. But why don't they do the verification in the beginning?

Kajunrook 03-30-2019 07:54 PM

I have a question If I submit a legit drivers license, with legit name and legit picture and address but block out the last two digits of the drivlers license number would they accept that, citing privacy issues with giving out my DL number

Lucynda 03-30-2019 08:17 PM

I have read that banks only have access to public records. I've done a lot of research over this the past few months. Often times they don't look too closely at the documents you submit. There was a person who posted on here last week who's license was figured out to be ⊗⊗⊗⊗ but that person was selling several thousand of dollars a day worth of inventory and that would kinda trigger PayPal to take a closer look at the Id they submitted and discovered it was ⊗⊗⊗⊗. That's why they recommend you spread your inventory around between different accounts.

agent006140 03-30-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajunrook (Post 990256)
I have a question If I submit a legit drivers license, with legit name and legit picture and address but block out the last two digits of the drivlers license number would they accept that, citing privacy issues with giving out my DL number

no,if they notice

Fuhrer84 03-30-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajunrook (Post 990256)

I did that twice before and worked good with them used all my real legit info except DL number was edited lol

agent006140 03-31-2019 09:44 AM

In that case,does it mean Paypal is not verifying with the state that it is a valid driver license number,it is just looking at the card and figure it looks authentic enough to pass?

Lucynda 03-31-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent006140 (Post 990396)
In that case,does it mean Paypal is not verifying with the state that it is a valid driver license number,it is just looking at the card and figure it looks authentic enough to pass?

As far as I can tell from my research they don't have access to DMV or government records.

amy3169 03-31-2019 04:16 PM

I guess when they get a complaint or suspicious activity from you again. They might get after you with your driver's licence info but if the driver's licence info turns out to be ⊗⊗⊗⊗ then you might get into trouble with the state too not just Paypal I guess.

So they should do this in the beginning when people sign up. But their first priority is making money so they don't care until someone complains or the account is overactive.

agent006140 03-31-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucynda (Post 990264)
I have read that banks only have access to public records. I've done a lot of research over this the past few months. Often times they don't look too closely at the documents you submit. There was a person who posted on here last week who's license was figured out to be ⊗⊗⊗⊗ but that person was selling several thousand of dollars a day worth of inventory and that would kinda trigger PayPal to take a closer look at the Id they submitted and discovered it was ⊗⊗⊗⊗. That's why they recommend you spread your inventory around between different accounts.

private detectives seem to have access to mucho personal information.
govt or no govt.

agent006140 03-31-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy3169 (Post 990250)
Correct. But why don't they do the verification in the beginning?

they own the business,they do what they damn please,probably think everyone is upright honest citizen.
I killed someone,then I am sent to prison and given capital punishment,I asked
Why didnt someone tell me ?

nickopedia 03-31-2019 06:27 PM

Normally in the USA, Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) data is tightly controlled.

I know for a fact that live AB60 (drivers license) data in California is not accessible for non governmental entities. Most 3rd party furnishers of Motor Vehicle data are likely getting it from some other source; NOT from the DMV, but likely from some other agency you voluntarily submitted to, or who has had access to such data in the past.

Fuhrer84 03-31-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent006140 (Post 990396)

I think they just care about match name and expire date