eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   ~17 year old paypal got permanently limited, but it's a weird situation. any hope? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/130756-17-year-old-paypal-got-permanently-limited-but-its-weird-situation-any-hope.html)

ninjastyle10 10-22-2019 02:53 AM

~17 year old paypal got permanently limited, but it's a weird situation. any hope?

Ok so...here's the scoop.

Back in the early 2000's, I had a regular paypal account in my own name that was running smoothly. That is; until some russian hacker stole something to the tune of $2k from it. Yes, this was way back in the day when I was naive and probably clicked a spoof link.

In any event, I called up Ebay and alerted them of the situation and IIRC they were fighting me on it so I got my bank involved and everything reversed on my own end. I believe (it's been so long, please forgive me) that I left it at that and then closed my paypal, because I didn't want to deal with a company that wasn't trying to help me when I'd been legitimately scammed (and no, I'm not making that up...I was pissed at the time because it was my one and only source of revenue through ebay and transacting with my parents while at college).

Shortly after, I opened up a new paypal with my (then) live-in girlfriend. Used her name but our regular mailing credentials and my own bank accounts. Again, this was the early 2000's so I don't think stuff needed to really match.

So I'd been using this account successfully for well over a decade and even added my own business account to it with an EIN. Used it without hiccup...up until the recent security measures. Got warning emails saying I needed to verify my identity. Obviously I couldn't do it since I was using my ex gf's name. Which totally sucks since I'd built up this account to do massive transactions and withdraws without issue.

It finally got permanently limited a few weeks ago. Got all my funds out previously, thank goodness.

Here's my question: am I totally SOL for creating a new account in my own name? Since theoretically this last account was in her name. But I'm kind of fuzzy on details because I think somehow I'd managed to use and registered my real ssn to that account (again, I don't know how because they didn't match...but this was a long time ago).

I tried setting up a new paypal with a variant of my own real first name.

ex: Willie instead of William

It allowed me to register along with my current, real banned address. I don't give this much hope of surviving, but it's still there and I haven't yet added a vcc or bank account.

I'm more wondering if there's any way Paypal would be willing to listen to my story since these were definitely extenuating circumstances dating back to the early 2000's. And while I technically circumvented the rules, I can just claim that she opened up the account for her own use when we were a couple and I just kind of 'adapted' it over time. I didn't have any ill intent when doing so, I really just didn't think about it or have the foresight.

Is it even worth bothering with this or is stealth really my only option going forward?

Thanks.

rsot 10-22-2019 06:02 AM

Re: ~17 year old paypal got permanently limited, but it's a weird situation. any hope

Worth a try with PP to sort out while also making stealth backups.

All depends on what agent you get from PP

agent006140 10-22-2019 06:10 AM

Re: ~17 year old paypal got permanently limited, but it's a weird situation. any hope

it is too convoluted,your SSN,your girlfriend,then your ex girlfriend,and your parents and your bank account?
Your old Paypal account is still there,with a debit balance of $2k .
why not apply for Ebay MP

ninjastyle10 10-22-2019 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent006140 (Post 1043073)
it is too convoluted,your SSN,your girlfriend,then your ex girlfriend,and your parents and your bank account?
Your old Paypal account is still there,with a debit balance of $2k .
why not apply for Ebay MP

That's what I thought. But then I could technically verify it because we both have the same address under our names on any public people search during that same time frame. I'm still unsure if I closed that old account with a 2k debt...but I think I did, which probably makes it tougher.

As per Ebay managed payments, I always thought that's also tied to your real name? Or are there stealth accounts for that?

I only ask because I have several successful Etsy businesses, and I always thought it was the same managed payment system. Thanks again in advance!

ninjastyle10 10-22-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsot (Post 1043070)
Worth a try with PP to sort out while also making stealth backups.

All depends on what agent you get from PP

I've already got stealth backups. :)

This was more an attempt at having a personal paypal account back which I wouldn't have to worry about transaction or dollar amount limitations going forward. Didn't really necessarily need to use it to be tied to an ebay account, just for selling stuff offline and off my own website for my business.

agent006140 10-24-2019 04:34 PM

can you ask your ex girlfriend to verify your account?
But then you said it has your SSN?

ninjastyle10 10-24-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent006140 (Post 1043832)
can you ask your ex girlfriend to verify your account?
But then you said it has your SSN?

Unfortunately, we're not on talking terms any longer lol. I'll have to log back into the account, but I believe it already had my ssn (not sure how it accepted, but this was a lonnng time ago). But most recently it's been registered with my legit business and EIN.

agent006140 10-25-2019 10:14 AM

you made a mess,now you have to pay for it.
we often think we are smart,hiding behind a keyboard,we can go around rules and restriction,who is watching any away??

ninjastyle10 10-25-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent006140 (Post 1043999)
you made a mess,now you have to pay for it.
we often think we are smart,hiding behind a keyboard,we can go around rules and restriction,who is watching any away??

No I totally understand, and not denying culpability. I was simply asking if anyone had a similar situation or if it was even worth my time trying to create a new account (looks like that's a big no).

agent006140 10-26-2019 09:36 AM

can you use your parents account ?

ninjastyle10 10-26-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent006140 (Post 1044213)
can you use your parents account ?

Dad already has his own and he's not going to share. Don't feel comfortable using my mom's credentials.

Think I'll just stick to stealth lol.