Paypal sent wescot credit after me what to do? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 09-16-2020

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 21%
Default Paypal sent wescot credit after me what to do?

From what I've understood paypal have sold the debt to wescott but anyway context is had an account for a year, was doing well, had a few disputes due to covid (delays, lost parcels), account shut down, lost cases because items were in transit even though they were delivered after cases were closed, account went to -£1470 but they couldn't charge since card had expired. I realise this isn't a measly amount but also not the biggest they have, however I think they will try to pursue it further, they have tried to call multiple times and sent me a letter that £1487 is due. I've looked online and read on some situations people have been in although it's not 100% reliable and not up to date:

http://dontpaywonga.co.uk/wescot-deb...ay-read-first/

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...redit-services

Wondering if anyone has any experience on what I should do, if I really had to pay it would I be able to pay in instalments with no interest? I'm just low on cash since paypal locked up my funds, thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-18-2020
Threadstarter  

Default Re: Paypal sent wescot credit after me what to do?

bump for any help
Old 09-18-2020

Longevity: 20%

If you can pay just add funds to your account and everything will be as before. Otherwise make a new account.
Old 09-18-2020
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,535 Times in 2,189 Posts
Activity: 69%
Longevity: 91%

It's best to talk to a lawyer for this kind of thing.
Old 09-18-2020

Longevity: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin View Post
It's best to talk to a lawyer for this kind of thing.
For $1500 🙄
Old 09-18-2020

Longevity: 36%

Ethically you can pay them back or unethically don’t, Im assuming this is your real info account? If so, pay it or your credit will get rocked.
Old 09-18-2020

Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,034 Posts
Activity: 88%
Longevity: 33%

IF this were in USA,by the time Paypal sold your debt to an outside firm,the chances of collecting in full is almost null,they hire army of callers sitting in cubicle calling you,your neighbor,your workplace,ex neighbor,roommate etc.
You can try calling them back and tell them you want to pay them back but limited in resources,they will listen.
Good luck
Old 09-19-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 57%

You're fretting because you've put it off until the 11th hour. If you keep doing that, you're going to get slapped with a CCJ on your credit file.

Perhaps you could use checkmyfile to see if they've dented your credit in any way.
Drag Wescot to small claims court for harassing you and ask for compensation.

You can prelude the whole thing with a letter to Wescot announcing what you're going to do - include all the tracking and relevant information as evidence of delivery.

If they disregard your evidence, you can present it as evidence in your claim.

You can ask the small claims court to make them pay all the associated fees, and you can claim for cost to you.

On the other hand, if you don't have tracking numbers... you'd have to pay up or take a dent to your file for 6 years.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2020

Longevity: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras_box View Post
You're fretting because you've put it off until the 11th hour. If you keep doing that, you're going to get slapped with a CCJ on your credit file.

Perhaps you could use checkmyfile to see if they've dented your credit in any way.

You can prelude the whole thing with a letter to Wescot announcing what you're going to do - include all the tracking and relevant information as evidence of delivery.

You can ask the small claims court to make them pay all the associated fees, and you can claim for cost to you.

On the other hand, if you don't have tracking numbers... you'd have to pay up or take a dent to your file for 6 years.

Good luck.
Suggesting OP takes this debt collection company, to whom he owes money, to the small claims court is ridiculous.

You cannot claim compensation for harassment in a small claims court.

Additionally, only certain costs can be claimed for, not all of them as you imply. Even then judges rarely award the full amount of allowable costs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hank For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020

collection agency could not care less whether you have delivered your goods and tracking number,their job is to collect debt you owed,they bought the debt,and it is their job to collect it
Old 09-21-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Suggesting OP takes this debt collection company, to whom he owes money, to the small claims court is ridiculous.
OP owes neither the debt collection agency nor PayPal money until that is proven to be so. Until such time, is it still an allegation.
Ridiculous? What's a better alternative to forking out £1500 or going the fast/multi-track?

This could be a straight-forward case if op shows evidence of timely dispatch backed up with delivery confirmation.

Quote:
You cannot claim compensation for harassment in a small claims court.
When I said to drag them to court for harassing him, I did not mean for OP to tender that as his claim. The idea is to take them to court because he's being harassed. When in court, OP will have a chance to prove that he's not indebted to Wescot by showing the court evidence that all items delivered.

Quote:
Additionally, only certain costs can be claimed for, not all of them as you imply. Even then judges rarely award the full amount of allowable costs.
This statement is both misleading and presumptuous.

It is a general rule that both parties are expected to bear their costs, but Part 27 of the Civil Procedure Rules that govern civil disputes allow the court discretion to make an award for:
(*) the fixed costs attributable to issuing the claim.
(*) any court fees paid by that other party;
(*) expenses which a party or witness has reasonably incurred in travelling to and from a hearing or in staying away from home for the purposes of attending a hearing;
(*) a sum not exceeding the amount specified in Practice Direction 27 for any loss of earnings or loss of leave by a party or witness due to attending a hearing or to staying away from home for the purposes of attending a hearing;
(*) a sum not exceeding the amount specified in Practice Direction 27 for an expert’s fees;

In the context of the matter at hand, ALL cost can be claimed to the last penny.
This is even more so if OP availed insurmountable evidence (e.g. evidence of dispatch and delivery) to Wescot which they disregarded. Op only need to ask the judge to apply the unreasonableness test - which Wescot will fail.
Old 09-21-2020

all items delivered could be used against PAypal,but not a debt collector,it could not care less if you killed y our mother ! for the money.
cost and hassles and time to go to court for such an amount,you have to be a moron to do so
Old 09-22-2020

Longevity: 77%
Send a message via Skype™ to HelpNeeded!

Okay I can help here.. I was an analyst at a collections law firm.

You can settle the amount with them. Chances are they bought that debt from PayPal for 90 cents on the dollar. Who knows maybe it traded hands again at a lower price. My role was to determine which debtors were more likely to pay. We can do bank levies and wage garnishments but it costs money to perform those searches. So if you fall into that "Never going to pay" category they'll get a judgment against you and then try to see what they can do.

DO NOT pay the full amount. Negotiate with them. If I were you I would call back and say I'll pay a grand today and chances are they'll accept and poof debt gone.
Old 09-23-2020

Activity: 21%
Longevity: 40%

If he does go down the small claim route expect to turn up to court in 2 years time. The backlog due to corona is ridiculous.
Old 09-23-2020

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 78%

I have dealt with Wescott before in the UK and for that amount of debt they will not go for a CCJ, they only do that when you admit to the debt and start paying and then stop. Otherwise your credit score is not effected without a CCJ.

You can defend your case in the small claims court, with a good Defence that due to COVID-19 you had your account closed by eBay and that you had no financial controls on their decisions.

I know from experience that if they file against you in the small claims court and you deny its your debt, the case will be allocated to your local magistrates court and nobody will show up from Westcott

If you think about it, they have to show every case that was refunded and reasons etc, too expensive to pursue.

I would sit tight ignore phone calls and letters and let the 6 years play out
The Following User Says Thank You to degsey69 For This Useful Post:
rsot (09-23-2020)
Old 09-28-2020
Threadstarter  

They have just sent another letter saying we have yet to agree a solution with you and saying we will continue texting and sending letters to recover the account on behalf of paypal. Still kind of conflicted on what to do, as long as they dont take me to court or send bailiffs to my house I don't mind
Old 09-28-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncreativeself View Post
They have just sent another letter saying we have yet to agree a solution with you and saying we will continue texting and sending letters to recover the account on behalf of paypal. Still kind of conflicted on what to do, as long as they dont take me to court or send bailiffs to my house I don't mind
That's how they make their living, I would be amazed if they decided to leave you alone. There is a real possibility the will up the ante, what you decide to do is up to you, but every letter, every knock at the door is going to trigger you. Is it worth it?
Old 09-28-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras_box View Post

Good luck.
Best answer so far

You have clearly read the OP and is IMO a good and sensrble answer

Old 09-28-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncreativeself View Post
They cannot send bailiffs without a court order

Do not - ever - allow bailiffs into your house unless they have a court order allowing entry (only issued by the High Court)

Get proactive here - write to Paypal and tell them why you are not paying and send them your tracking details

Send a copy to the debt collkectors and state that if they keep chasing you then you will take appropriate action against them

If you cannot proive what you have said here then you are stuffed

Old 03-20-2022

This is an example of why this forum is falling away.

It is bombarded by spammers and then agent and rsot blindly bump them.

Meaningful threads are few and far between and they get pushed of the front page by the antics of the above mentioned.

Maybe the moderators need to look at a way to curb this. Block external links? Restrict daily posts so the drones cant incessantly post rubbish? Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hank For This Useful Post:
Ebayorbust (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
It is bombarded by spammers and then agent and rsot blindly bump them.
I usually just report them for spam lately
Old 03-20-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
I usually just report them for spam lately
You need to give your head a wobble then, you welcome every single one of the spammers and constantly bump any old thread with inane 'trust XXX on this one OP', or 'nice findings' gibberish merely to keep up your post count obsession.

How about simply posting truly meaningful replies.

I can look away from the forum for 5 minutes, come back and the threads I was reading have disappeared to be replaced by those you've aimlessly bumped.

It makes this forum tiresome to interact with, try and control yourself.