Changing paypal First & Last name - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 05-07-2021

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 29%
Default Changing paypal First & Last name

I have an aged paypal account with a random first and last name and I want to change it to my real name I am willing to send them the documents but I have a question is that going to be okay and not affect the account itself?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-07-2021

Longevity: 42%
Default Re: Changing paypal First & Last name

Hmm, I doubt they will accept the change easily from an alternate random fabricated name with no papers, to your real name with papers.

“You can change the name on your account (up to 2 characters) if it's misspelled, and only once after creating your PayPal account. It is not possible to change the name on your account to another person's name. If you are making a legal or major name change, you may be required to upload supporting documentation.”

So the document has to validly support the change; what your name was before and what it is going forward with maybe additional photo ID with your new name and previous photo ID to validate old name.

That should be how to properly verify and consider a major name change like this. Don’t want someone to legally claim later that PayPal didn’t do it’s due diligence and gave their account and funds away. Although you will know that is not the case but PayPal doesn’t.

I would be surprised if they didn’t do that and just accepted your name change without validating that the name on the account is currently also you.

Last edited by BleepBloop; 05-07-2021 at 08:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BleepBloop For This Useful Post:
iLias (05-13-2021)
Old 05-08-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

OP, changing the name is a heavy security flag tripper - you will likely be asked for documents.

Never 100% sure if it won't affect the account health moving forward but i'm a fan of not "fixing" things unless they are broken...why do you need to do this?
Old 05-13-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleepBloop View Post
Hmm, I doubt they will accept the change easily from an alternate random fabricated name with no papers, to your real name with papers.

“You can change the name on your account (up to 2 characters) if it's misspelled, and only once after creating your PayPal account. It is not possible to change the name on your account to another person's name. If you are making a legal or major name change, you may be required to upload supporting documentation.”

So the document has to validly support the change; what your name was before and what it is going forward with maybe additional photo ID with your new name and previous photo ID to validate old name.

That should be how to properly verify and consider a major name change like this. Don’t want someone to legally claim later that PayPal didn’t do it’s due diligence and gave their account and funds away. Although you will know that is not the case but PayPal doesn’t.

I would be surprised if they didn’t do that and just accepted your name change without validating that the name on the account is currently also you.
I appreciate you taking the to clarify things for me!
Old 05-13-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
OP, changing the name is a heavy security flag tripper - you will likely be asked for documents.

Never 100% sure if it won't affect the account health moving forward but i'm a fan of not "fixing" things unless they are broken...why do you need to do this?
I like your approach of not "fixing" things unless they are broken haha

actually, there are no problems with the account so far but I am trying to link my personal bank account to it to avoid any future problems and in order to do that I have to match my bank name with PayPal in case of a manual check..
Old 05-13-2021

Thanked 1,109 Times in 1,045 Posts
Activity: 92%
Longevity: 33%

is changing name an option which you can do yourself without Paypal?
People who change their last name have to present document,eg marriage or divorce certificate
Old 05-13-2021
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 50%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLias View Post
I have an aged paypal account with a random first and last name and I want to change it to my real name I am willing to send them the documents but I have a question is that going to be okay and not affect the account itself?

No, don't do it. Period.
Old 05-14-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:

actually, there are no problems with the account so far but I am trying to link my personal bank account to it to avoid any future problems and in order to do that I have to match my bank name with PayPal in case of a manual check..
Which bank account?
Old 05-14-2021
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 50%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:

Huh? Name doesn't matter on the bank account...

have you had the chance to read the stealth guide?