eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   Forced Surcharge by PayPal (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/15946-forced-surcharge-paypal.html)

nice_guy9mm 01-19-2010 01:09 AM

Forced Surcharge by PayPal

Why does Paypal force a once dollar "contribution" for each transaction for the Haitian cause. I don't think it is fair, ethical or legal. Where is the accountabiity? I think federal intervention is indicated here, or maybe the ACLU?

OfficialGenius 01-19-2010 01:14 AM

:lol::pound:

I'm sorry but for some reason your post is hilarious.

imjustme 01-19-2010 09:11 AM

Forcing? They're not forcing you to pay anything. If you don't want to pay it, don't pay it.

roywaller 01-20-2010 10:13 AM

Yah I doubt its involuntary...similar to ebay checkout option to donate to a charity

fevernight 01-20-2010 10:21 AM

I just had the same thing happen to me...
Just created a new paypal account and used prepaid CC for verification.
A $1.95 plus a one dollar "contribution" was charged to my prepaid CC without my permission.

imjustme 01-20-2010 11:41 AM

So you cheapos can't afford to give $1 to poor Haitians who lost everything, for every eBay account that you open and make thousands of $'s from?

charlesb 01-20-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imjustme (Post 120818)
So you cheapos can't afford to give $1 to poor Haitians who lost everything, for every eBay account that you open and make thousands of $'s from?

here here!:clap:

ONE 01-20-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imjustme (Post 120818)

With fairness to the OP

I didn't see anything in the OP comment about him being upset about money going towards haiti. The OP's frustration was directed toward paypal's decision to take money without asking which yes I think its fair to say most of us here have been burned by paypal enough that 1 unauthorized transaction from paypal for a measly $1 feels like they are doing what they want when they want again as usual. Regardless of the purpose.

On another note if you were buying cards from lakeman and he gets charged the $1.95 plus another unexpected $1 who is really donating now unless lakeman raised his prices.

I along with others on the site would give more or have given more than a $1 to the haiti disaster but when the money is not donated freely but instead taken I would be pissed too.=}

kingfish900 01-21-2010 03:09 AM

im sorry, but i agree with genius, this post makes me laugh lmao. especially the part with federal intervention and the ACLU lol. but anyways, you have a point, no one should be taking money from you without asking, i wasnt aware of this. no one should have to give money to anyone or any contribution to anything if they dont authorize this. if the above person is correct and their card was charged without authorization then yea, in my opinion that is an absolute travesty, and isnt legal. but im sure their had to be some type of authorization that you gave to allow them to do ****. in all honesty, i can think of a hundred other things i would rather donate a dollar to then the haiti fund, this however is just mpo. i would much rather donate more money to the families of the men and women who died in 9-11 then the haiti fund, even with that being years ago. i would rather donate a dollar to find a home for stray dogs in america then the haiti fund. i would rather donate to all the people who lost everything in New Orleans during the hurricanes then donate to the haiti fund. hell i would rather dump a dollar into the pot to fix our own healthcare system then the haiti fund. let the bashing begin, like i said thats just my opinion lol. there are many more problems in my own country right now to be worrying about this for me personally. i would be furious if this happened to me. no matter what the amount.

kingfish900 01-21-2010 03:15 AM

and i mean, its not as though they were a thriving flourishing country before this whole thing happened to begin with. so all the money to fix this whole thing wouldnt even put the bar that much higher where they were already at. it doesnt affect me or me country directly. what has haiti done for the US or any other country for that matter. far to my knowledge they dont even have any viable exports that we do business for. point being, no one should be taking money out of your account, if i donated a dollar for every catastrophe that happened or every tratedgy in the world i would be flat broke.

imjustme 01-21-2010 11:42 AM

I'm pretty sure you ticked a checkbox somewhere along the way where you accepted the donation. I can't imagine PayPal, as bad as they are, just billing you an extra $1 on the statement. How did you know it was for Haiti then? Did it say "PayPal Donation for Haiti" on the statement?

kingfish900 01-21-2010 11:46 AM

yea i agree, i mean surely as evil as they are they wouldnt push the limits that far. you had to of checked a check box or given your consent some where some how. may it was in a omnious sneaky clever way and you missed it and it was writtin in context within something you didnt read and just continued. i havent seen this so i dont know. but i dont think they could get away with doing that or that they would dare try.

oompaloompa 02-17-2010 04:05 PM

Im not giving money via paypal to Haiti - so they get all the glory..no way, ive given money via more saintly methods, thanks. However Ive got alot of accounts and the Haiti box is definately optional...

oh, and watch out for the check box for photo pack or something, 95p in UK, sneaky b'stards, must make alot from those that dont check fees before pressing submit..

jbluntz 02-17-2010 09:08 PM

Usually they tell you they are going to withdraw $1.95 and then they put it back in 2-3 days later.