eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   Item not received so it's MY fault? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/21866-item-not-received-so-its-my-fault.html)

Ryozanpaku 08-21-2010 06:44 PM

Item not received so it's MY fault?

Hello,
I sold an item on Ebay and shipped it with USPS Media Mail to Saipan over a month ago and since it also said United States in the address, I thought it was a U.S. Territory (I don't ship international) so I created my shipping label (which comes with a tracking number) on Paypal and dropped it at the post office. About three weeks later, the buyer messages me saying that they didn't receive their item yet. I kept checking the tracking number everyday in the USPS site and it isn't even being updated! I did find out somewhere that it could take 3-6 weeks for the item to get there...:confused: I am also surprised by this because I don't even think international shipments are this slow. But anyways, now since they STILL have not received their item, they have opened a case in Paypal and I am told by Paypal if the useless tracking number doesn't update, I lose MY money and they get a refund!!! This is just disgusting, and isn't fair. I just need to know where the package is, I mean I should at least get that back... I even tried calling the post offices in the zip codes where the item was last processed according to the tracking number but no one even answered. I already had two cases filed with USPS due to non receipt of the item, but still nothing. Since i wasn't getting any help, I called my local USPS office and asked them about the package. To my surprise, they asked me if I had a customs form filled out????? Now, why would I even need that?!!!! Isn't Saipan considered domestic? And how in the world was I supposed to know this? I did ship to Puerto Rico before and I didn't need any kind of forms and the buyer received their item with no problems. I mean Isn't this USPS's fault? What gives Paypal the right to hold my money and then take it from me. There isn't even a single point in "communicating with the buyer to resolve the issue" is there? Now I would like to know where would my package possibly be? Could it be lost? If so, because I have no insurance I can never get it back? Or would it take even longer them to receive their item?
In cases of issues like this, should i always purchase insurance? Would this even protect me from losing my money completely?
I am also wondering why the case was opened through Paypal and not Ebay because I remember when I had a case of "item not as described" on Ebay teh buyer got a refund FROM Ebay and NOT me at least.

SaiJin 08-21-2010 08:19 PM

OP.

1. Please use paragraphs. No one here is going to read that. Edit your post.
2. Welcome to the forums.

jeffweico 08-21-2010 08:25 PM

Item not received so it's MY fault?

Yes. According to eBay/PayPal rules, you are responsible for the item until they buyer receives it.

1) Never ship more than you can afford to lose. Use insurance if necessary.
2) If item is over $250, use delivery confirmation with signature required.
3) If you are worried abour damage, ALWAYS use insurance. The USPS will NOT pay for damages on an uninsured item.

Sorry, but that is the way it is.

GreenBean 08-21-2010 08:26 PM

Welcome to the forum :yar:

No consolation to you but it is your fault. That's a bit harsh and really different from what I was first going to post. (Trust me I can be nasty).Were you not happy about the answer elsewhere?;)

As the seller you had a responsibility to know as much as you could to achieve delivery of your item. When you saw 'Saipan', did you think to check about shipping there? I really understand the excitement of a sale. Makes us feel good and the thought of money...you get what I mean? No-one can sell on assumptions. You needed to check & double-check what sending to an address involves. Was it for a large amount? Have you discussed anything with the buyer?

You got the money, the buyer got nothing (yet). Where's your right to win?:peace:

SaiJin 08-21-2010 08:29 PM

Jeff, I can't believe you read that post. Looking at it alone gave me a headache...

digitalslave 08-22-2010 03:48 AM

I learned the hard way when I shipped a $75 item overseas with no delivery confirmation.
The buyer pretended he didn't receive it, PayPal refunded his purchase then a week later he left feedback on eBay saying the item didn't work!

Now even every thing gets delivery confirmation, even if I only sell it for 99 cents!

DogFacedBoy 08-22-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalslave (Post 160725)
I learned the hard way when I shipped a $75 item overseas with no delivery confirmation.
The buyer pretended he didn't receive it, PayPal refunded his purchase then a week later he left feedback on eBay saying the item didn't work!

Now even every thing gets delivery confirmation, even if I only sell it for 99 cents!

If you ship domestically using Paypal Shipping delivery confirmation is automatic and only 19 cents.

That has caused problems in the past for me when mailing out flats, because delivery confirmation is only available for package and priority. To get it on a letter (which those were considered) it has to be certified.

Two or three of the buyers wrote to complain they were charged postage due because the packages had to be upgraded to allow for delivery confirmation. Now whenever I ship an item like that I'll throw some peanuts into the envelope to bring it up to the minimum thickness to qualify as a package instead of a letter

banned4life 08-24-2010 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogFacedBoy (Post 160769)
If you ship domestically using Paypal Shipping delivery confirmation is automatic and only 19 cents.

That has caused problems in the past for me when mailing out flats, because delivery confirmation is only available for package and priority. To get it on a letter (which those were considered) it has to be certified.

Two or three of the buyers wrote to complain they were charged postage due because the packages had to be upgraded to allow for delivery confirmation. Now whenever I ship an item like that I'll throw some peanuts into the envelope to bring it up to the minimum thickness to qualify as a package instead of a letter

Local USPS started giving me crap for the same crap - the thickeness so I started cutting up any packing material of items I received in bulk and stuffed that in there so not to add any weight and bring up to spec on thickness 3/4 of an inch. Trick is, you only need it to be that thick in one spot. it doesnt have to be consistent all the way thru. So all my middles would be poppin up. That shut them up until they can come up with some other ways to screw with us