Re-stocking fee and shipping costs...? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 04-16-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 92%
Default Re-stocking fee and shipping costs...?

Hi,

I run an online store (not ebay)

I have a customer who is saying an item i sent them was poor quality (which i completely disagree with) and is saying they want a full refund including what they paid me for postage.

In the terms and conditions on my store (which the buyer has to agree to, to be able to purchase) it states the following:

Quote:
If you would like to return your items, you may do so within 7 days of receiving your purchase. Items returned must be in a new and unused condition. We will refund the cost of the items, minus a 10% processing fee. Shipping charges are non-refundable.
The buyer has said they will open a dispute if they don't get every penny refunded (inlcuding postage). Now, where do i stand with this? Am i allowed to charge the re-stocking fee and keep the postage costs?

Any help would be appreciated...
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-16-2008

Longevity: 94%

paypal really doesn't care about your selling poilcies, and buyer requirements. that won't mean anything to them. they will almost always side with the buyer in a not as described dispute.
Old 04-16-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 95%

Thats why you should go with google checkout in your store, paypal always sides with the buyer
Old 04-16-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 94%

or get another processing company
Old 04-16-2008

Longevity: 96%

paypals rules > your rules. Whatever your policy says doesnt really matter once the buyer opens a dispute. I would suggest you telling the buyer to ship it back too you and then you refund them (then take your 10% away after you got the item). If they open a dispute before you get the item and paypal closes the dispute in the buyes favor you will lose the money AND the item for sure.
Old 04-17-2008

Longevity: 99%
Default Paypal rules in your favor...

if the item is genuine. I had an item where the woman that ordered it complained after a week that she didn't like it. I told her there were no returns and pointed her at the listing which clearly showed it.

She filed the complaint with Paypal, but three weeks later, Paypal ruled in my favor.

Do not escalate it. Just let it ride and contact paypal with any new information.

Paypal does not always rule against the seller, although that may be changing now that EBAY wants to do away with the little guy.
Old 04-17-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts

xxxxstupid, the question was about an online store, not an ebay auction.
Old 04-17-2008

Longevity: 93%

Same as modee here. I always won cases as a seller.

Buyer simply has to return the item or else they will loose.

BUT, you must have a tracking number to present to PayPal, they need it to know that you shipped the item to the buyer. If you have tracking number, you are golden. Buyer files a dispute with PayPal, go ahead and add your comment and tracking number, and immediately escalate to a dispute. In a few days paypal will give you an option to refund money after item is returned.

Then buyer has to return it if he wants money refunded.

Now, this does not mean buyer can not win. He or she can easily win if they call credit card company and file a chargeback.

I think, I think, paypal will cover your loss if you are covered by their paypal protection policy. But I'm not sure, because I never had a buyer file a chargeback.

Anyway, you can't be running a successful business by kissing butt of every dissatisfied buyer. It is your policy that item is returned, stick to it. Like someone suggested here, I'd get google checkout, or better yet a merchant account.
Old 04-17-2008
Executive [VIP]

Re-stocking fees are silly, in my opinion. If the buyer returns an item, then I receive it back. Why should I charge the buyer for it?
Old 04-17-2008

Longevity: 93%

Restocking fee is a very smart idea, imo, but very annoying at the same time. It is good for sellers because you are getting paid for receiving an item, and it prevents buyers from returning an item. Which is a win win. Other good ideas are charging shipping insurance and making it mandatory, even if you are not actually using shipping insurance.

Get money out of the buyer every little way possible.

Annoying I know. But I've seen sellers who are very successful while doing this, even more successful than sellers who kiss their buyers.

One possible reason might be subconscious thinking of buyers, where if seller is doing something for free then it must cost nothing and it means seller is of low value. Where as a seller that won't do anything for free must be of high value and I (buyer) respect people with high value. Seller qualifying himself to a buyer = seller is submissive, buyer is dominant. The other way around, seller is dominant, and buyer is submissive. Just like your boss is your boss, not the other way around. ..... Something like that anyway.
Old 04-17-2008
Executive [VIP]

I'd rather get more money out of my buyers in places where they don't notice it so much, like shipping fees. If I put myself in the buyer's shoes, I would feel ripped off if I had to pay to return an item. Buyer's aren't stupid.
Old 04-17-2008

Longevity: 98%

What about the "merchandise credit" thing? I've seen people offer that. Is it any good?