eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   Question about refund (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/4216-question-about-refund.html)

beus 04-24-2008 07:47 AM

Question about refund

Any advice?

I have a buyer who is demanding a full refund for an item. I want to give him/her a partial refund because I don't want to refund the shipping charge.
Buyer can't open a dispute on PayPal because the original transaction happened about 59 days ago but what happens if buyer files a charge back with his/her credit card company? Does the credit card company reverse the full payment even if buyer received a partial refund?

Does anyone know?

Because if they do reverse the full amount than I won't refund anything so I don't have to lose that much money.

ebayaintstupid 04-24-2008 10:49 AM

Stand on your head...

spin around three times. That should help.

thelizardking 04-24-2008 11:31 AM

Did they return the item?

beus 04-24-2008 11:39 AM

Yes, they returned the item. I always write it in my description that shipping charges are not refundable but buyer keeps emailing me that if I don't give a full refund than the credit card company will reverse the payment. I paid a lot of money for shipping, plus I paid for the shipping when the item was returned.

thelizardking 04-24-2008 11:52 AM

Well, give them a partial and see if they complain any longer...

beus 04-24-2008 11:57 AM

Oh I know they will complain.
I just don't know what to expect if the credit card company reverses the payment.

ebayaintstupid 04-24-2008 12:29 PM

If you know...

why do you ask?

beus 04-24-2008 01:16 PM

What I don't know is the following.

Let's say I give buyer a partial refund. Then buyer files a charge back with the credit card company. Does the credit card company reverse the full payment what buyer paid originally or the amount what is the difference? I will have proof that I already refunded most of the money but I have no idea how credit card companies and PayPal do charge backs.

aspkin 04-25-2008 04:45 AM

In other words, just go for the partial refund and let the buyer know of your policy over the shipping charges again. If they do a chargeback, they do a chargeback, you'll lose the shipping. Just explain well and maybe you can save your self the shipping.

beus 04-25-2008 07:37 AM

Thanks for the advice.

ebayhateluv 04-25-2008 10:27 AM

You know, this is one of my own "Pet Peeves".. Anywhere i buy-amazon, toys rus, macys, they NEVER refund shipping.. (as shipping charges are paid to the Carriers, NOT US)--
BY the way- you NEED a Supervisors approval at JC PENNY, for it-- I know this, as they sent a wrong size for a Girls Jumper-- the lady told me, she would NOT refund shipping, as the sizes are European cut, I should have known this..
So, UNLESS, I sell an item Grossly mis-identified, I do not refund shipping.
--Otherwise, were out, the sale, the listing fess, and now shipping fees, in some cases, its easier, to throw the item in the trash barrel ...
--Someone Years ago-must have started this trend with Ebay--its a shame, the post office, ups, or fedex will NOT refund shipping charges, so why should we??

beus 04-27-2008 09:57 PM

Here’s an update on this situation.
I gave buyer a partial refund. I didn’t refund the shipping charges what I paid for both ways. The reason is I stated in the description that item must be returned within 7 days. Buyer used the item for more than 2 weeks. I received the item back after a month.
Now buyer emailed me that she/he is going to report this to eBay and she/he will see me in court.
I mean buyer had threaten me with opening dispute, leaving negative feedback, chargeback, reporting to eBay, going to court. What else they can come up with? What’s next?
This is why I don’t like Wal-Mart’s return policy. Buyers got used to the fact that they can use everything for 89 days and able to return it on the 90th day. Now whoever shops on eBay thinks that the same policy applies there.
I can’t tell you guys how much I’m getting tired of eBay and buyers.

Jonas 04-28-2008 02:22 AM

Modee, ah buyer wanted that partial refund so they get close to a free item.