eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   Buy a car, seller wants payment through paypal (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/58975-buy-car-seller-wants-payment-through-paypal.html)

Univerzal 04-15-2013 04:45 PM

Buy a car, seller wants payment through paypal

I just talked to a seller who has a good price on his 2010 avalanche but he want to be paid through paypal only, My question is , should i be worried?

Other facts:

1. Seller says he talked to paypal so HIS account wont get limited.
2. My buying account is a stealth.

JJGold 04-15-2013 05:11 PM

......a stealth car. Love it.

TheRevolver 04-15-2013 05:27 PM

I personally wouldn't do it through Paypal at all, and if I did happen to do it through Paypal, I'd do it with my real one, definitely not with a stealth. Too many things can go wrong.

Consider using your real Paypal for the transaction, but preferably, do it in person.

Good luck man!

Gamefreak 04-15-2013 05:31 PM

Grab and run.. call paypal inquire about it but according to ebay you should be protected. MAKE SURE YOU PAY WITH CREDIT CARD so if something does go wrong you can easily dispute it as it will take paypal awhile if ever to give you your money back should the seller bolt.

danshan 04-15-2013 05:39 PM

Pp does not cover car purchases but ebay does so if it is ebay you should be covered

BigCJ 04-15-2013 05:47 PM

be sure to get a car fax or history on the car. Might be getting a lemon. All in all, sounds kinda fishy :suspicious:

GreenBean 04-15-2013 05:48 PM

Is this through ebay motors?

Even if your account is stealth, preferable to have a fully verified & confirmed paypal for this deal.

:ranger:

Univerzal 04-15-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJGold (Post 440589)
......a stealth car. Love it.

I wish:typing:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRevolver (Post 440592)
I personally wouldn't do it through Paypal at all, and if I did happen to do it through Paypal, I'd do it with my real one, definitely not with a stealth. Too many things can go wrong.

Consider using your real Paypal for the transaction, but preferably, do it in person.

Good luck man!

Thanks, ill probably use a real one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamefreak (Post 440595)
Grab and run.. call paypal inquire about it but according to ebay you should be protected. MAKE SURE YOU PAY WITH CREDIT CARD so if something does go wrong you can easily dispute it as it will take paypal awhile if ever to give you your money back should the seller bolt.

Yes itīs going trough ebay motors. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by danshan (Post 440600)
Pp does not cover car purchases but ebay does so if it is ebay you should be covered

Thanks for the advice:typing:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjmixers (Post 440602)
be sure to get a car fax or history on the car. Might be getting a lemon. All in all, sounds kinda fishy :suspicious:

I have a carfax of it (all good) but it still sounds weird, i mean who sells a car and pay paypal fees lol:juggle:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBean™ (Post 440603)
Is this through ebay motors?

Even if your account is stealth, preferable to have a fully verified & confirmed paypal for this deal.

:ranger:

Yes i will buy trough ebay motors if i buy, thanks, im thinking of using my main account for this transaction:amen:

rsot 04-15-2013 11:56 PM

As a buyer of this, you have a lot of things in your favour - dont know why the seller wants the PP to take a cut on this but...do your research - everyone has made good points.

You able to pay via CC?

GreenBean 04-16-2013 12:12 AM

Maybe the seller wants protection?

He might be a stealther

Or he might really love paypal

:pound:

Speeder33 04-16-2013 01:10 AM

hope you're getting a really good deal, personally i would want to check out any car I buy in person

Sandy D 04-16-2013 01:43 AM

Me too.

Pictures can look awesome and the car could be a rat trap.

Local guy here purchased a vintage rolls from NY and even paid to have a hauler bring it to Florida.

When it got here it was a piece of crap.

He used paypal and filed a dispute.

He lost, seller won because he said it was ok when it left etc.

Be really careful dealing with cars and parts off ebay.

And make sure you do 100 legit and never use stealth to purchase a car b/c title, registration etc issues.

yotano211 04-16-2013 02:54 AM

ok, here is what I did when my purchased my 2010 Prius in November. Yes, I bought it off eBay.

I would not recommend paying the entire amount of the SUV with paypal. Ebay motors lets buyers do a down payment for any vehicle. I think its a requirement to have a down payment to set aside the SUV. I don't know about this part since I have never sold a vehicle on ebay but I see it on every vehicle listing when I was searching for a Prius.

Tell the seller that you dont want to send the entire amount over paypal, that you prefer wire transfer, certified check, cash, or any other payment type. I would not do wire transfer.

When I was ready to buy a Prius cash, I searched 2 months for a car within my budget and my likes. I saw a car I liked, I first messaged the seller if we can talk on the phone. He agreed to talk on the phone so that he can tell me about the car, and to weed out if the person was a fa-ke, you never know.

We both agreed to a $500 down payment, I sent it via paypal, the rest of the payment was going to be with a certified check. But first, I asked the car salesman if I can hire a independent mechanic to check out the car. I did this from Nevada and the vehicle was in West Virginia, he agreed. It cost me $150 to hire a mechanic to go though the vehicle for any damages, defects, and he even did a road test and wrote up a full report and faxed it to me. He sent close to 3 hours from start to finish. With that report in hand, I was able to negotiate a better sales price on my car, 12% below asking price.

So we agreed that I would fly from NV to VW to pick up the car and drive it back to NV, about 2,000 miles. I got a check from my bank, bought a plane ticket, and off I went. 4 hours later, I landed, the sales person picked me up from the airport and drove me to the sales lot. I signed all of the required paper work, showed insurance for the vehicle and 20 min later I drove off back to NV, but I went to Washington DC first. I made the trip into a mini sight seeing vacation.

Oh and here is a good tip if you have to travel with more than $10k in cash or check. If you are traveling by air or road, esp. by air. Always tell the TSA agents that you have more than $10k in funds on you. In case if they search you and they find that much money they wont question you and miss your flight. I guarantee you, if you dont say anything and they pick you out for a search and find the money, you will get questioned and kiss your flight good bye.

When I went through the airport, I told the TSA agents about my certified check for more than $10k, he called his supervisor over. I showed him a print out of a ebay page that I was buying this vehicle with a check and he passed me through. I sent less than 4 minutes with the TSA supervisor. I did it at all of the airports I went through.

If you dont want to pick up the SUV you can always hire a car mover. It will cost about 1,000-1,300 to transport it cross country. My estimate was from VW to NV, price will depend on distance. The estimated moving time will take about 3 weeks for cross country.

If you need any more help or anything, just ask.

yotano211 04-16-2013 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Univerzal (Post 440580)
I just talked to a seller who has a good price on his 2010 avalanche but he want to be paid through paypal only, My question is , should i be worried?

Other facts:

1. Paypal can limit his account at any time, with his account limited, who knows if he will agree to sell you the SUV.
2. Dont worry about your ebay account being stealth, just say that the account is your sisters, friends, or some other person you know. My account was stealth when I bought my Prius. You want to mention to the seller about this info. Keep the seller in a good and happy mood, maybe you can get something extra, or cheaper price.

Always disclose all info on you if you want to buy this SUV.

GreenBean 04-16-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Univerzal (Post 440580)

Other facts:

Not a given that will not happen at any time. No-one using paypal should have that delusion.
:shocked:

Dmshark25 04-16-2013 05:33 AM

I Agree GB,as a seller why would he want all that money in Paypal hands and than the risk in withdrawing .... Good Luck

Univerzal 04-16-2013 05:45 AM

Thanks for all advice and hilarious comments everbody :)
It's appreciated, it's a tricky situation but i think i only make a small downpayment through paypal and the rest in ca$h :)

yotano211 04-16-2013 06:46 AM

Use a certified check, its better. More protection and you can cancel it in case anything goes wrong. Take a picture of it and store it on your phone and/or email, in case you lose it, keep the number of your bank near by. Always have a contingency plan. And dont forget about the TSA thing at the airport.
Report back on how it goes, I would love to know.

slim jim 04-16-2013 07:26 AM

I have never heard of someone paying in full for a car via PayPal. At most was about $300 as a deposit. This doesn't sound very appetizing

Sandy D 04-16-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotano211 (Post 440831)
Use a certified check, its better. More protection and you can cancel it in case anything goes wrong. Take a picture of it and store it on your phone and/or email, in case you lose it, keep the number of your bank near by. Always have a contingency plan. And dont forget about the TSA thing at the airport.
Report back on how it goes, I would love to know.

Yotano to the rescue.

This is what we are all about.

Fellow members sharing experiences that help others.

Awesome info Yotano!

GreenBean 04-16-2013 07:56 AM

Nothing better than a good post with clear advice easy to be understood by all our users.

Nice one

:thumb:

Univerzal 04-16-2013 08:47 AM

Yes thanks to everbody in the thread for all help :)