eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   What thoughts do you have about Carl Icahn.. (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/70418-what-thoughts-do-you-have-about-carl-icahn.html)

joesshooze 02-18-2014 03:45 PM

What thoughts do you have about Carl Icahn..

wanting to spin off pp from eb? I don't know, that's why I asked. Is it good or bad for stealth?

Dmshark25 02-18-2014 04:02 PM

Re: What thoughts do you have about Carl Icahn..

It will never happen or at least not for a long time, Paypal feeds off of eBay . It's success and growth are due to the success of eBay, splitting the company would allow for competitors to sneak in, so I don't see why they would if think about this except just to spark up some publicity

joesshooze 02-19-2014 06:54 AM

I dunno. Icahn always seems to do what he wants if you look at the history.

Sandy D 02-19-2014 08:26 AM

He would have to put a ton of money on the table. And even then the regulators would probably step in on this one.

user3657 02-19-2014 03:33 PM

Dont see how it is good for either company. Unless Paypal has tricks up their sleeve to get into different markets in the coming years and want to get away from the ebay/paypal image they created.

joesshooze 02-19-2014 03:42 PM

Well nobody answered with regard to stealth. No comments? A while ago there was some talk here that maybe they wanted to be a bank and that's why they were getting more strict.

So I think it might be very good for pp and not so good for eb. PP is looking for mobile payments as revenue growth was very good last year.

vogeltron 02-21-2014 06:52 AM

Icahn is more or less a pump and dumper. He has been for decades.

I would argue today. That PayPal is more important to the eBay company than the actual eBay auction/BIN site is today.

I was not very found of Whitman at the time. But she really was in-tuned to what was going on. Donahue has run eBay into the ground. The most profitable parts are entities like Stub Hub and PayPal. eBay itself is no longer the core business.

Hercules 02-21-2014 07:39 AM

Ebay makes huge profits and is very strong. Paypal is their biggest profit maker on the growth side of the business. Paypal keeps growing while ebay creeps along with slow growth but still does large amounts of business.

I saw Donahue in an interview recently taking big talk but when the question came to future growth all he could say was good things about paypal and excuses for ebay saying 'we are not a selling company but a middle man type of company' or we can't compete with Amazon because we suck at real work!

BigCJ 02-21-2014 07:48 AM

Ebay deals in traffic. Paypal deals in money. Traffic comes and goes and, for the most part, can become unreliable. Money does not change.
Ebay needs paypal. Since 95% of their client base have been brainwashed by paypal (That ebay pushed onto everyone) ebay just wants to be joined at the hip to ride that wave. If another site comes along and starts accepting paypal and works as hard to get that traffic coming in, ebay can become a distant memory. Could you imagine Amazon taking paypal? Ebay would crash and burn.

Teasly 02-23-2014 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCJ (Post 530548)
Could you imagine Amazon taking paypal? Ebay would crash and burn.

I always thought the only reason why Amazon didnt take paypal was because they didnt want to give 3% of payments to a third party.
I think thats why they started their own payment system, no?

vogeltron 02-25-2014 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCJ (Post 530548)
Ebay deals in traffic. Paypal deals in money. Traffic comes and goes and, for the most part, can become unreliable. Money does not change.
Ebay needs paypal. Since 95% of their client base have been brainwashed by paypal (That ebay pushed onto everyone) ebay just wants to be joined at the hip to ride that wave. If another site comes along and starts accepting paypal and works as hard to get that traffic coming in, ebay can become a distant memory. Could you imagine Amazon taking paypal? Ebay would crash and burn.

I agree 100%. If I look 10 years into the future. I would definitely say PayPal looks more important to me than eBay itself. The two joined together I do think is what has kept out Google checkout/wallet. Allowed the to ban money orders and some the old traditional forms of payment on eBay.

If PayPal was broken off likely it eBay would be forced to allow more payment methods which would likely benefit stealth users. But it is very hard to say. I remember distinctly thinking when Whitman left eBay things would get better. They got horribly worse. So personally I would rather choose what I know than what I don't know.

0bitus 02-26-2014 03:16 AM

Agreeing with all of the above, i think discussing 'stealths' future under such conditions is not necessary, as such scenario would be a general crisis for all ebay sellers community. Just think about this. Sales volume would go down like an avalanche, every seller will be affected.

rsot 02-26-2014 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teasly (Post 531241)
I always thought the only reason why Amazon didnt take paypal was because they didnt want to give 3% of payments to a third party.

Yes - also Amazon likes to own its own stuff so why use PP that belongs to a competitor? I wouldnt - so much wiser to control your own cashflow

GreenBean 02-26-2014 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teasly (Post 531241)

amazon wants total control.

No need to outsource money making facilities.

:mod:

Sandy D 02-26-2014 08:49 AM

Genius who seems to have a knack to be able to force things to happen.

Dont agree with him on some things but give the guy credit.

He is another Warren Buffet but in a different style.

joesshooze 02-26-2014 02:46 PM

Thank you SandyD for making my point more eloquently than I was able to do. And that is the scary part.

My cats have taught me not to underestimate anything especially evil genius.

Sandy D 02-27-2014 12:05 AM

Let just say

Evil genius that should scare everyone because they have so much potential to control so much and a select few people controlling lots of things is flat out scary.

vogeltron 02-27-2014 03:33 AM

He is a pump and dumper. As I alluded to before.

GreenBean 02-27-2014 07:26 AM

Icahn is this generation of USA's pump and dumper.

Been countless men before and will be again.

Powers that be at ebay & paypal will need to be strong to withstand him

Or stealth is altered.

:FF:

Sandy D 02-27-2014 08:38 AM

And those who look up to guys like Warren Buffett also see this guy as special.

I call him genius because he has been able to manipulate things to make some serious money.

Not many can get away with what these guys do, like Joel eluded to, they are evil but also in their own way genius how they operate.

Dont think ebay or paypal will budge. Then again Buffett ended up with 52% of stock in one company who said they would never give into him either.